Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

2020 Precept 34G

Just traded our 2018 Jayco 317RLOK 5r for a 2020 Precept 34G, having a Track Bar installed before it leaves the dealership as well as an alignment.
What else should I be on the lookout for in terms of deficiencies, we haven't done our PDI walk-through yet.
We do plan on spending the winter in Penticton BC, what extra should we do to prepare for winter camping... does get to freezing for spells, sometimes a cold snap for a week or so will bring it a few degrees below freezing.
Been trying to find snap on skirting pre-made?
I'm not wild about the black and grey valves not being enclosed, I cannot find any information beyond heated holding tanks on Jayco.com.
Been thinking of 1.5" DOW SM foam insulation and just bungee it to the motorhome all the way around for a skirt.
heat tape
and a couple ceramic heaters.
Just wondering what I should look closely at before it leaves the dealer in Ontario.
Any help would be appreciated
Jmurray65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #2

I see that you are planning to stay in your coach for the winter. However, be sure to have the winterizing process explained thoroughly. There will be a whole house water filter, RR with ice maker, bypass valves for the HWH, washer if you have that option and make sure that they explain how the water valve selector knobs work.
Check the drivers seat to make sure that it goes far enough forward to comfortably reach the pedals. If it doesn’t have the dealer adjust it for you. There are additional holes to allow the seat to be unbolted and moved forward.
If it’s possible check the headlight alignment. When we drove our coach home from the dealership we drove several hours in the dark and the low beams pointed almost straight down and the high beams were right about where the low beams should have been. Jayco ultimately paid for an alignment but it could have been avoided.
Check the operation of the windshield wipers and fluid.
Check the dash heater/cooling controls. Make sure the fan works in all positions and make sure air flows through the appropriate ducts - floor, dash and defrost. Make sure you have both heat and cooling.
Have the dealer demonstrate the leveling system and know where the hydraulic fluid tank is located. Note the level of the fluid when the jacks are up and also when the jacks are down.
Verify which outlets work off the inverter.
Obviously check all the boxes on your PDI list but these are some things that sometimes get overlooked. Don’t be bashful about making a video of anything you don’t want to forget.
Congratulations on your new coach and enjoy the lifestyle.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #3

Thanks
Working with a PDI checklist that someone on here posted.
The one thing we learned about our dealer from the 5r we bought in the spring.. don’t sign a thing until all items on my PDI list are attended to.. we believed them last time sand traded it in with most items still not fixed.
Thanks for the good info
Old 10-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #4

Most fivers and trailers at least have underbelly barrier. Your precept does not. So the water lines are exposed to the elements in many cases. I would crawl under and use pipe insulation wherever
a water line was exposed. Run a light bulb from electric box outlet to water bay and leave on in freezing temps. Use the tank heaters and use electric heaters for your coach unless you have a large propane tank. Your idea of a skirting is a good one.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

Today was the big day

Well, today we were supposed to pick up our New 2020 Precept 34G... Appointment at noon, Spoke with the service manager a week in advance and was promised everything would be perfect.
7 hours later, we are back home and our Precept is still there. Some of the things we noticed a month ago and wrote them into our offer to be repaired still weren't done. Some small things, fit and finish stuff. Some large things like the hide-a-bed sofa needs to be replaced because of something hard under the seat material. It doesn't just zipper off.
The guy doing the walk-through was useless. 2 things I wanted info about, how to setup the generator auto start and the Infosystem.. he had no clue. Said he wasn't a tech.
Turns out the Infosystem didn't work.
One of the things I find very frustrating about Jayco is the lack of information one can attain about a new 2020 model. The Brochure doesn't give any details or specifics, all generic crap... I suppose so they can change to different manufacturers at any time.. but still it is frustrating.
Round 2 tomorrow, today they wanted me to sign all my paper work without even taking it our for a test drive.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #6

I might walk away without accepting the unit. Your dealer will be a problem in the future.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Brochures are generic for that very reason. If they were specific, and Jayco changed specs, the brochures already out at the dealers would be instant scrap paper. They have to rely on the manufacturers manuals, supplied with the unit, to be a little more specific to your unit. even then, sometimes those manuals cover some similar, but different model numbers.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #8

Jmurray65,

Do you know what Generator you have? Look up the owners manual online. Do you have a picture of the Control panel For the Auto start? You might be able to find one online. If its a Onan 5500 I can share my information.
Twoshadycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #9

Any other good or bad experience with the 34g?
Wrpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #10

Check the termination of the vertical termination strip at the top where it is caulked under the roof to wall. Mine was soft and not properly sealed allowing water entry which showed up at the center top of the windshield and dripped down onto the dash.
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:11 PM   #11

Headlights on 34G

Just went on our first trip and the headlights are terrible. High beam is I don't where and low beam is high. Brought it to the dealer in Ct. and he told us they aren't set up to adjust headlights that it was a Ford issue. Ford said it was Jayco issue. Called factory they said it was Jayco and he would contact the Ct. dealer and have them contact me. Have heard nothing from anyone, any suggestions on my next step would be appreciated.
Sredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #12

Assuming you are still under warranty, call Jayco Motorized CS and explain that the headlights need alignment and you don’t want to go back to the dealer. They should authorize you to take it to a shop of your choosing (most likely a reputable truck repair facility) where you can have the alignment done, pay for it and then submit your receipt to Jayco for reimbursement.
Document your phone conversations with date, time, contact person, etc. so that you have a reference for future correspondence. Also, request that Jayco email you a pdf copy of the alignment procedure that you can give to the shop you go to. Be polite and considerate and Jayco will work with you to get your issues resolved. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #13

Thank you for your kindness and I hope I can help someone done the road. Will post what happens so others will have a path to follow
Old 07-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #14

I have owned a 2019 34G for 15 months now and have put about 15,000 miles on it. Overall, very happy. We love the wide open floor plan and haven’t had any significant issues. I think it drives great although I’ve only driven a couple of class A’s. I always read about people modifying their suspensions and honestly I can’t imagine why. It glides down the road and certainly does not sway or anything adverse like that unless you’re in super windy conditions like 40 or 50 mile an hour gusts coming in from the side like we had in the Midwest one time and then I just slowed down a little bit. I had it to a Jayco dealership once for three simple recalls. The generator hour meter would run when it was plugged in even if the generator wasn’t on, there was this extra screen on the engine air intake that had to be removed and a fuse had to be resized in the engine fuse box. They took care of all of those at no cost with no problems. I noticed last winter that my propane floor heating system’s Airflow in the cabin isn’t right. Plenty of hot air blows out the floor vents in the bedroom but hardly any comes out at all in the cabin. Going to have the dealer look at that soon although we live in South Florida and I hardly ever use it. The touchscreen part of the stereo stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I called the stereo manufacturer (SoundStreem) and they said it will be covered under the two-year bumper to bumper warranty so I’m going to have the dealership fix that also. The other problem I had that I was really worried about but now seem to have under control is if it rained and water got on top of the slide when it was out and then I brought the slide in water would sometimes show up on the floor in the bathroom. I figured out the water is trapped up there on top of the slide and has nowhere to go so when you bring the slide in it gets squeezed under the seal and runs down the wall to the floor. Not good. After lots of research I figured out the very simple solution which is to use the RV leveling system and raise the front of the RV up for a couple of minutes before bringing in the slides. To be clear prior to bringing in the slides I level it again. Raising the front up allows all the water on top of the slide and on top of the slide guard to run right off the back. You could also go up on the roof with a squeegee or something and pull all the water out of there. That seems to have solved our mysterious problem of water every now and then showing up on the bathroom floor. We bought our RV at RV One in Tampa Florida and had an excellent buying experience. I would definitely buy another 34G.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #15

Just got off the phone with the factory rep and the dealer on a conference call. Dealer told us they never adjusted motorhome headlights before and didn't know how. Tina the awesome rep said she would Email the correct process and the manager said he would be happy to take care of it. Appointment next Thursday, will see what happens, besides this we really enjoy this 34G
Old 07-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurray65 View Post
Just traded our 2018 Jayco 317RLOK 5r for a 2020 Precept 34G, having a Track Bar installed before it leaves the dealership as well as an alignment.
What else should I be on the lookout for in terms of deficiencies, we haven't done our PDI walk-through yet.
We do plan on spending the winter in Penticton BC, what extra should we do to prepare for winter camping... does get to freezing for spells, sometimes a cold snap for a week or so will bring it a few degrees below freezing.
Been trying to find snap on skirting pre-made?
I'm not wild about the black and grey valves not being enclosed, I cannot find any information beyond heated holding tanks on Jayco.com.
Been thinking of 1.5" DOW SM foam insulation and just bungee it to the motorhome all the way around for a skirt.
heat tape
and a couple ceramic heaters.
Just wondering what I should look closely at before it leaves the dealer in Ontario.
Any help would be appreciated
Check water pressure on hose connected and again with house pump(12v) only. Residential frig requires 30 psi minimum to make ice and dispense water from door correctly.
Also check the hot water AND cold are available at all faucets.
Starting to have issues with full (large) passenger slide actually stops and requires me to push to get it all the way open.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDooley View Post
Check the termination of the vertical termination strip at the top where it is caulked under the roof to wall. Mine was soft and not properly sealed allowing water entry which showed up at the center top of the windshield and dripped down onto the dash.
Update t ok issue. Gave up on dealer and will install black eternabond to seal all roof seams
Old 08-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #18

Found a water leak behind my toilet.

Great news. I Posted above that every now and then water would show up coming from behind the wall in my bathroom. I really thought it was coming from the slide and running down the wall. We had the RV home today and it hadn’t rained in quite some time and all of a sudden water showed up on the floor again. As I said in this post above it would just randomly show up every now and then. Anyway, I got down there And looked at the hose attachments behind the toilet and water was dripping from the blue hose that provides water to the toilet for it to flush. All I had to do was hand tighten the connection. Pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
B7EEB97C-2144-4B40-BACE-591EC772B8A6.jpg   754293E4-78E1-426C-80E3-070C2F5740DA.jpg   436A813A-3F8B-44DB-B41D-A086914A6B49.jpg  
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonC757 View Post
I have owned a 2019 34G for 15 months now and have put about 15,000 miles on it. Overall, very happy. We love the wide open floor plan and haven’t had any significant issues. I think it drives great although I’ve only driven a couple of class A’s. I always read about people modifying their suspensions and honestly I can’t imagine why. It glides down the road and certainly does not sway or anything adverse like that unless you’re in super windy conditions like 40 or 50 mile an hour gusts coming in from the side like we had in the Midwest one time and then I just slowed down a little bit. I had it to a Jayco dealership once for three simple recalls. The generator hour meter would run when it was plugged in even if the generator wasn’t on, there was this extra screen on the engine air intake that had to be removed and a fuse had to be resized in the engine fuse box. They took care of all of those at no cost with no problems. I noticed last winter that my propane floor heating system’s Airflow in the cabin isn’t right. Plenty of hot air blows out the floor vents in the bedroom but hardly any comes out at all in the cabin. Going to have the dealer look at that soon although we live in South Florida and I hardly ever use it. The touchscreen part of the stereo stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I called the stereo manufacturer (SoundStreem) and they said it will be covered under the two-year bumper to bumper warranty so I’m going to have the dealership fix that also. The other problem I had that I was really worried about but now seem to have under control is if it rained and water got on top of the slide when it was out and then I brought the slide in water would sometimes show up on the floor in the bathroom. I figured out the water is trapped up there on top of the slide and has nowhere to go so when you bring the slide in it gets squeezed under the seal and runs down the wall to the floor. Not good. After lots of research I figured out the very simple solution which is to use the RV leveling system and raise the front of the RV up for a couple of minutes before bringing in the slides. To be clear prior to bringing in the slides I level it again. Raising the front up allows all the water on top of the slide and on top of the slide guard to run right off the back. You could also go up on the roof with a squeegee or something and pull all the water out of there. That seems to have solved our mysterious problem of water every now and then showing up on the bathroom floor. We bought our RV at RV One in Tampa Florida and had an excellent buying experience. I would definitely buy another 34G.
Hi! We’re having the same issue with propane heating. Was yours resolved? Thanks!
Tserafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #20

Just an update. It’s been a year since we took delivery of our 34G.

We were fortunate that it was a breezy day when we took our 34G for a test ride.. We decided to put on the rear track bar and the safety steer plus and am happy with the setup, no wag very little sway oncoming transports or passing ones had little to no effect on driving. Although different makes of semi’s push air worse than others, so it’s not fool proof but a huge improvement.
Other than a general dislike for the entire sound stream system, the lack of headlight alignment from the factory, and just some small fit and finish items, we generally love our precept.
Glad I bought when we did though as I don’t like the changes they made to the dash and the smaller king size bed. although I do like the newer style shower head, but I changed ours right away anyways..
Like others on here I have noticed virtually no heat comes into the front living area from the propane heating and you almost suffocate in the bedroom.