Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #1

Bike Rack

We just bought 2 bicycles that we need to carry south this winter. Looking to purchase a bike rack to either mount on the rear bumper, or use the hitch and get a hitch mounted rack. There are so many choices out there and wondering if anyone in the group is currently using a bike rack? We don’t tow a car, so can’t use that.
Barrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #2

I have a thule bike rack that fits in the reciever of my 5th wheel. Originally used it on the bumper of my tt. Had a bolt on reciever i put on the bumper.
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #3

Bike types vary, hitches are at various heights and almost all bike rack vary on how they connect the bike to the carrier.

So the best advice is to see if you can actually try putting your bikes on a demo rack to make sure it will be easy, not an exercise in frustration.

For long term use better racks cost more but are worth it. Don't forget a lock to keep them safe.

Many racks will rock back and forth as you drive so consider getting a little clamp to hold it steady. I use one like this

https://www.amazon.com/Towever-Corro...-1-spons&psc=1
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrick View Post
We just bought 2 bicycles that we need to carry south this winter. Looking to purchase a bike rack to either mount on the rear bumper, or use the hitch and get a hitch mounted rack. There are so many choices out there and wondering if anyone in the group is currently using a bike rack? We don’t tow a car, so can’t use that.
https://www.swagman.net/product/escapee/
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

We have a very solid 2" hitch bike rack from Hollywoodracks.com that served us well for several years on our SUV. We mounted it to our Alante31V without problems as well.

We dabbled with a tow dolly and I got a hitch doubler that lowered the tow hitch and raised the bike hitch. Worked well in principle but the lowered hitch dragged the ground at every road dip.

Then got another hitch doubler without lowered tow hitch position just to find it too short to clear the rear bumper. Kind of useless now.

Just mentioning it to be aware of the limitations.

Now we abandoned the dolly, went flat towing and installed a 2" receiver for that bike rack at the rear of our KIA Soul toad. Friggin expensive because the ECOhitch is the only 2" version available for this small car. But I guess this will work now.
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrick View Post
I use an Allen Sports Deluxe 4-bike rack on the 2 inch hitch receiver on my Jayco Alante. I got it from Amazon for $80 and have used it a number of times to carry my grandkid's 4 bikes.
I'm pleased with the performance and ease of use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave
Old 07-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

Another vote for Hollywood Racks, not cheap but very well built, I had to get the high end E-Bike rack as the RAD bikes are 67#'s, 60 without battery mounted and the rack is rated for 80lbs each bike. But I got a double 2" receiver so I could hook up the toad to the bottom and the rack on the upper, or put the bike rack on the back of the CR-V toad.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote