Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #21

Opinion: Which is tougher to do with a 30 ft Travel trailer pulled by an F150 Monarch pass or Wolf Creek pass. I did the Wolf Creek pass a few years ago & had to stop twice as soon as the temps started to climb. It seemed endless climbing up. I made the crossover going eastbound from Pagosa Springs in June 2018
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Opinion: Which is tougher to do with a 30 ft Travel trailer pulled by an F150 Monarch pass or Wolf Creek pass. I did the Wolf Creek pass a few years ago & had to stop twice as soon as the temps started to climb. It seemed endless climbing up. I made the crossover going eastbound from Pagosa Springs in June 2018
Monarch Pass (if I remember correctly) is a little bit higher up (~500' perhaps) and seemed to be a somewhat similar challenge in my RV (and previous RV's). I prefer hwy 50 though (Monarch Pass) as I never checked the %grade, but I feel it was an easier climb. I would make my choice based on what I wanted to see and where I was staying as both passes are similar in nature and no need to avoid either for the other pass (imo). ~CA
Old 02-27-2021, 03:11 PM   #23

I wrote a detailed post, but it went into the great unknown. Here are two thoughts on your trip. The 550 route to Ridgeway is a challenge. I have never had the nerve to pull over it, though I have driven it 15-20 times. Consider taking 145 on the west end of Colorado through Delores and Telluride to 62 over to Ridgeway. Beautiful and much less difficult. Camp at Ridgeway State Park or the KOA between Ouray and Ridgway. Drive your towed vehicle to Silverton and Durango, and definitely ride the train. Reservations are a must. When you approach Denver, consider taking 93 on the west edge to Golden and on to Boulder where you can hit 36 right up to Estes. Skip the I-70 through Denver to I-25, which I call the "raceway." Shorter, prettier, and way less traffic. I live in Fort Collins which is only 40 miles from Estes.
GaryTamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #24

I drive a 2016 Alante 31AL and pull a Ford Ranger and carry a mini golf cart 300 lbs. and have a V10 motor. I made it over Wolf Creek Pass at 42 mph so Monarch will be no problem.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
If you have never crossed over such a high pass yet in yours, one thing to keep in mind is that the engine can run at over 5000 rpm, I try to keep mine just below 4500 rpm for any extended climb. When you are about half way and especially in the Summer the fan clutch will sense the heat and cause the fan to roar very loud, that and the high engine rpm could make one think something is wrong, but that is just how they operate and get very loud. I try to keep about 85% throttle pulling long high passes or between 4~4500 rpm, however for shorter passes and if needed, I have pushed it to ~5000 rpm and never had engine temp or trans temp go a lot higher than normal, even with the A/C on. I can't say for sure, although I suspect the Class A V10's would sound just as loud as mine was.

Interesting to me that you mentioned that noise Craigval. I have a 2017 Precept and somtimes, usually involving a hill, either up or down, the engine noise suddenly gets a lot louder. It sounds like it has downshifted but the RPMs don't change. Does that sound like the fan noise you were talking about? I've been wondering about this for a couple of years.

2017 Ford Focus TOAD, BlueOx towbar
tsmatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #26

From the west side of Monarch Pass it's a long reasonable descent. Just as any descent. use your gears, as little as possible use of brakes. It's not one of the scarier passes.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmatx View Post
Interesting to me that you mentioned that noise Craigval. I have a 2017 Precept and somtimes, usually involving a hill, either up or down, the engine noise suddenly gets a lot louder. It sounds like it has downshifted but the RPMs don't change. Does that sound like the fan noise you were talking about? I've been wondering about this for a couple of years.
Yes, that is exactly what you are hearing. The fan has a clutch that normally slips but as it senses more and more heat it slips less and less until it doesn't slip at all, and with the engine already at a high rpm the fan gets very loud, which is a good thing in that it is cooling at is maximum ability, but concerning if you didn't know that what it is doing is normal and is what it is designed to do. Sometimes with a cold engine the fan clutch will be engaged when you first start the engine, and even at a low rpm it would be louder at first until it warms up a little and starts slipping. If you don't have a lot of throttle (engine heat) the wind just going through the radiator while driving cools everything enough, but not enough for when pulling a high hill or mountain pass. ~CA
Old 02-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #28
msb

550 is one of the coolest roads in the country! Just spectacular. Beyond the grades and twists, it's not for the faint of heart as the exposure is real and the white line is literally on the edge in spots. But it is much tamer heading northbound. (The southbound exposure is definitely more precarious as the major drop offs are on your right, so you should be good heading up from Silverton.) Hardest part is gearing down enough to make the tight turns and not burning up your brakes. Monarch and Eisenhower are not as dramatic, but the sustained grades will work your vehicle harder. Sure is a lot prettier than I25!
Old 02-28-2021, 06:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb View Post
550 is one of the coolest roads in the country! Just spectacular. Beyond the grades and twists, it's not for the faint of heart as the exposure is real and the white line is literally on the edge in spots. But it is much tamer heading northbound. (The southbound exposure is definitely more precarious as the major drop offs are on your right, so you should be good heading up from Silverton.) Hardest part is gearing down enough to make the tight turns and not burning up your brakes. Monarch and Eisenhower are not as dramatic, but the sustained grades will work your vehicle harder. Sure is a lot prettier than I25!
X2. Haven't towed over 550 but have driven it several times and have towed some "long steep". West-bound 14A in the Big Horns comes to mind. Slow and easy, use the gears not the brakes, watch the trans temp, relax, stop prn, let the crazies pass, and enjoy one of the most spectacular roads anywhere on earth. Use patience and concentration - 550 is narrow and precipitous but your won't fall off it unless you steer off it. Control your rig. I've seen construction on it that involved a short distance of about eight foot wide one way on the exposed side. Was glad I was not towing but the guy in the big 5th wheel didn't seem too bothered. Maybe fine line between crazy and confident?
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #30

Great info Craigval. Thanks. Now I have one less thing to worry about. Also, this adds to my overall appreciation of the engineering Ford put into this engine/transmission/chassis.

2017 Ford Focus TOAD, BlueOx towbar
tsmatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
50 has some challenging sections. 160 has more challenging sections. Monarch is a little higher, but of those two pass sections, Wolf Creek is more challenging. Be aware, that I have been in short lived snow/ice conditions on 160 at La Veta Pass (further east), in June. A rainshower at 30 degrees in the shade, above 9K can become treacherous.

That said, you will be fine if you take your time, slow down and just remember those drives are scenic marathons, not sprints.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHabie View Post
I am planning a trip from Moab Utah to Estes Park Colorado. I would like go through Durango up to Silverton and then to Leadville and on to Estes Park.
I would like to go up 550. When I get to Montrose, I do not know the recommended way to go. I am driving a Jayco P31 towing a Jeep. Can I go the 50 to the 285? Is it too steep a or twisty? Is there a better route? Any input will be appreciated.
I’ve lived both in Montrose and Durango and traveled the road between often the last time hauling horses in a 35 foot trailer. 3 times. The 4 th load took Lizard Head as snowstorm moving in. If you are squeamish, or tend to be a white knuckled driver, do go around and take Lizard Head. Otherwise, you’ll be fine. 50/285 is a cake walk in comparison.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote