Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2023, 08:22 PM   #1

Dash Cam Recommendations?

Looking to add a dash cam to my Jayco Alante 27A. Are you using any one in particular? And where do you have it mount? I was looking at the Rove R2-4k.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:00 AM   #2

I’m running a Vantrue X4. It’s. A few years old but does it’s job well. Right now, it’s just suction cupped to the windshield and plugged into a USB port. Works well enough.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:15 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I run a Garmin Dashcam 47 in the front and a Garmin dashcam mini 2 in the rear. Both come with double-sided tape for a magnetic mount and both are plugged into USB ports. I have the front one mounted high just below the blue tint on the windshield with the cable routed up and over to the "A" pillar and down to the 12v outlet near the cupholder. The rear one is mounted on the back window, power routed to under the bed 12v plugin. The two can sync their time and videos and the front one will upload to the cloud if connected to wifi.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 02:51 PM   #4

I just installed a Wyze cam in our Precept. It's not a dash cam -- it's a fixed-mount cam that can pan and pivot; we use it to monitor our dogs when we're away from the coach. However, I mounted it just above the driver's shoulder and installed a microSD card, so that by rotating the lens when we're on the road it will also (hopefully) be able to operate as a dash cam. Perhaps not perfectly, but it's a two-fer, in my book.
Attached Thumbnails
20230216_153511.jpg  
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:46 PM   #5

Droid Dashcam

I use a cheap mobile phone mount and the Droid dashcam app on my Android phone.
Records video to your phones image gallery with GPS, time and speed data overlaid.
You can set space limits and have it start over writing the oldest video when it hits your space limit.
You can record with or without sound.
I'm sure there's an app for Apple phones that would work if you have an inferior phone.
pc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:45 PM   #6

I use ones made by Viofo https://viofo.com/

I have several models in different cars. No issues for several years with them.

2018 Precept 31UL aka "The Money Pit"
2014 Nissan Versa TOAD
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #7

There are a lot of reviews on YouTube. After watching this review:

I purchased this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRQH4R7...roduct_details

So far, so good.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:06 PM   #8

DNelson-

Thx for posting. I have been on the fence for a l-o-n-g time but ordered one of these. It was on a kind of "older model closeout" at $79.90 (but then I pd almost that for their 256 GB SD card.)

If it works out well, I will get one for my Yukon too. Have actually had a lot more crazies scare me driving across Denver than when driving my MH ....... but the Yukon stops a LOT better.

Best.................
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
DNelson-

Thx for posting. I have been on the fence for a l-o-n-g time but ordered one of these. It was on a kind of "older model closeout" at $79.90 (but then I pd almost that for their 256 GB SD card.)

If it works out well, I will get one for my Yukon too. Have actually had a lot more crazies scare me driving across Denver than when driving my MH ....... but the Yukon stops a LOT better.

Best.................
Hi Ed. So far how good is the dashcam? I'm still planning on getting one. I do have the same on my toad (Honda CRV) and works great.. with the only problem that is not the wifi model... so I need to grab the SD Card and insert it on my laptop to see the videos etc. How good is it on the MH Windshield?
Old 11-13-2023, 03:28 PM   #10

Dashcam has been flawless thus far. It is mounted low on the front windshield and I am surprised it hangs on.....but it does. It has stayed put over some really bone-jarring roads, especially on a New Mexico trip. I have to admit, it is really difficult for me to reach forward that far; so, I rely on my grandson to run a check on it now and then to verify it is working and I just plug it in and go.

I am still dragging my feet on getting one for my SUV. My only complaint is that it is difficult to get the cam out of its mount.....maybe that is a good thing.

Best..............
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote