Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #1

Dish ground antenna

I have a winguard portable antenna. Used to have a seneca now have a 15 precept the wet bay has a single connect if i connect my portable to it i realize that no Campground cable where would i connect my dish box and where would my signal go or can i even be done please no tech stuff just the facts thanks
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #2

Punctuation would help to understand what you're typing. If I understand correctly, you want to know if you can connect a portable Dish into the stock coax connector in your wetbay. Short answer is it will not carry a satellite signal to the tv. Your Precept (and our Alante) has an antenna booster that interrupts the satellite signal. That coax connector in your wetbay is only for cable. With some technical modifications, it could work.
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Punctuation would help to understand what you're typ1ing. If I understand correctly, you want to know if you can connect a portable Dish into the stock coax connector in your wetbay. Short answer is it will not carry a satellite signal to the tv. Your Precept (and our Alante) has an antenna booster that interrupts the satellite signal. That coax connector in your wetbay is only for cable. With some technical modifications, it could work.
Going to have to disagree. The cable input port will carry a satellite signal from a tripod mounted dish or a portable like the tailgater. All you have to do is turn off the ant booster and route the input signal into your sat receiver and output from the receiver directly to your TV or you can connect it to your RV coax that feeds your tvs thru the installed coax. Just remember to turn the booster OFF!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Going to have to disagree. The cable input port will carry a satellite signal from a tripod mounted dish or a portable like the tailgater. All you have to do is turn off the ant booster and route the input signal into your sat receiver and output from the receiver directly to your TV or you can connect it to your RV coax that feeds your tvs thru the installed coax. Just remember to turn the booster OFF!!
I hope you are correct, but everything I've read says the satellite signal will be too disrupted before it comes out of the connector for the tv. Have you done this yourself in a Jayco Class A? When my coach comes back from the dealer next weekend, I will hook up my King Tailgater and Hopper and see what happens.
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I tried this in our Redhawk and it didn't work. I had to disconnect the line from outside from the splitter and connect it to the dish box directly. The splitter was causing problems with the satellite signal.
Now it works great.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 AM   #6

Stimpey, I'm glad you don't want any tech stuff because I don't know any. I have a 2015 31 UL and a Pathway X2. I connect it to the connection in the wet bay and it's been working fine for 18 months. I bought the sat and receiver from my dealer and had him install. Only complication is that Dish has to connect you (via phone) to local channels to get such things as Super Bowl and Final Four. Bottom line for ME is, have an expert do it.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
I hope you are correct, but everything I've read says the satellite signal will be too disrupted before it comes out of the connector for the tv. Have you done this yourself in a Jayco Class A? When my coach comes back from the dealer next weekend, I will hook up my King Tailgater and Hopper and see what happens.
My experience is with a TT but the set up should be the same. The coax input connector is a coax connection that brings cable [in your case] to the splitter that feeds the internal wiring in the rv. In my case, this coax is connected to the splitter via a "loop" on the wall by the entertainment center. Used in this configuration, the cable will feed to all your tvs and the booster must be turned off. To connect a sat input, you remove the loop and connect the input from the wall directly to the receiver and then bring the signal output from the receiver back to the wall [lower connection] and feed it to the splitter and you now have sat reception thru all the tvs. In this configuration all tvs will get the same channel. As an option you can bring the sat input into the rv in the same manner but hook up the main tv via an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Again, the connection going to the receiver must occur before going thru a splitter as you can not split a sat signal input. That is likely why you have had a problem with this issue.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #8

Make sure the splitter is rated for satellite. Most cheap splitters used by OEM don't pass the frequencies fed from a dish. A satellite rated splitter will like the frequencies it passes (such as 2GHz 5-2050MHz Low Loss RF for TV Satellite Cable All Port DC Power). Over the air (OTA) HDTV frequencies are lower than the dish frequencies being sent to your receiver. These sat qualified splitters cost less than $15. And make sure the power for your antenna is turned off.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
Make sure the splitter is rated for satellite. Most cheap splitters used by OEM don't pass the frequencies fed from a dish. A satellite rated splitter will like the frequencies it passes (such as 2GHz 5-2050MHz Low Loss RF for TV Satellite Cable All Port DC Power). Over the air (OTA) HDTV frequencies are lower than the dish frequencies being sent to your receiver. These sat qualified splitters cost less than $15. And make sure the power for your antenna is turned off.
Just to be clear,you are not splitting the signal from the ground dish. You are bringing in a single signal going to a single receiver. If you want to power a 2nd receiver or side 2 of a dual receiver, you will need 2 coax feeds from the ground dish. Once you connect the input to your receiver you send the output from the receiver either directly to the main tv via hdmi or to the coax connector that feeds the internal coax system in the RV. With the booster ON, the splitter will block everything except the over the air signal from the roof Antenanne. Turn the booster OFF and you can send eight a cable signal or sat tv channel coming from a sat receiver. No special splitter or other stuff is needed.

I am not familiar with the wiring set up in a motorhome. It is likely more complicated than in the typical TT or 5er but the concept is the same.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #10

While we're on this thread, does anyone know where the splitters are hidden around a Precept Prestige 36B? Five tvs came in this wonderful beast; living room, bedroom, outside, and two smaller tv/DVD units in the bunks for grandkids! I got the cable port in the water control station working after removing the "guts" behind the cover plate that has the push button and led below the tv in the living room. The assemblers had left that cable off of the fitting. Voila, cable port and the antenna up on top now work as intended. The tv in our bedroom is obviously "downstream" (of splitters) so the signal is weak. I'd like to fix that, but don't want to needlessly start ripping stuff out. Have any of you been there, done that? This forum is amazing and so is the depth/breadth of knowledge of the members. Thanks
OldJags is offline   Reply With Quote