Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

First long trip in 35S

DW and I left Cincinnati one week ago, Jan. 9. We had intended to leave on the 8th but it was so cold all the storage door locks were frozen. Managed to open 3 by heating the key with a torch. Glad to leave the 5 degree temps behind.

We spent 2 1/2 days on the road traveling to Sorrento, FL, Wekiva Springs RV resort where we spent winter of 2016 and really liked the resort and area.

No problems arose with the 35S. We de-winterized on Monday night in southern TN where the temp fell to mid 30's. Second night in Valdosta, Ga were the storage locks finally thawed.

Engaged the ice-maker in the Norcold fridge Wednesday but didn't get ice until Saturday. Found the water valve to the ice-maker was closed (Friday) but it still didn't make ice until the internal temp was below 18F. Had to turn the fridge up to coldest setting (9) to get the freezer temp down. Sunday night I backed the temp to 7 and it's still making ice. When we took delivery the fridge was set to 4 and made ice within 2 days so I'll eventually set it down again.

The first day of driving was exhausting, lots of steering wheel activity to stay in my lane. It had been 2 months since I last drove and just had to get used to it all over again. Day 2 was better, not as exhausting but still more steering activity. The coach body seems to wallow a lot due to uneven road surface and pressure waves from passing 18 wheelers. If I can get to the front stabilizer bar I plan to make the CHF (cheap handling fix) before we leave.

35S nits:

What's with the bathroom sink drain hole? The tiny plug is practically useless and removing it for good drainage leaves a good opportunity to drop ear rings or other tiny items down the drain.

Sticking storage doors are a small issue. Some of the latches will not move the striker far enough to dis-engage. There is very little adjustment for the striker travel so I need to think more about how to resolve before getting out the hammer to move the latch bar.

Still no power in the passenger pedestal, for some reason the dealer service tech failed to log it as a problem. Also no power in the 110 outlet in front of the sliding drawer but do have 12V at the power port. I'll troubleshoot this problem in the coming week.

Other than these tiny problems we are happy with our purchase. Still need to wash and clean the exterior, lots of road salt accumulated in TN and GA. I have yet to check fuel mileage even though I logged miles and gallons. I don't expect much as we were just over 1K miles when we left Cincinnati pulling our Wrangler. Towing was a breeze with a Blue Ox tow bar and RVI2 brake system.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #2

Hope you can get some of the issues taken care of especially the steering issue.

As for the sink issue, we use a screen sink strainer. It helps a lot with the fear of losing something small down the drain.

We use something like this for our sinks.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxware-Stain...DZMZW32Y89VE0D

Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
The first day of driving was exhausting, lots of steering wheel activity to stay in my lane. It had been 2 months since I last drove and just had to get used to it all over again. Day 2 was better, not as exhausting but still more steering activity. The coach body seems to wallow a lot due to uneven road surface and pressure waves from passing 18 wheelers. If I can get to the front stabilizer bar I plan to make the CHF (cheap handling fix) before we leave.
A front sway bar, and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer for safety, will "lock down" the front end for the most part.
It is also recommended to look further down the road when you find yourself seesawing the steering wheel.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

If you haven't had the front end aligned then do so. It makes a definite improvement on the steering.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

Thanks for comments

maromeo- thanks for the sink strainer idea, I'll order and see how well they work.

Others- Front end was aligned before I took delivery and tires were aired to 100 psi. Service tech set pressure to 95 when he installed new valve stems. The front axle has a Ford sway bar set for the "comfort" ride setting. CHF is supposed to improve the "wallow" of the coach body. I may pursue the safety stabilizer after doing the CHF to the stabilizer. Will probably increase air back to 100 psi as recommended by others who drive the F53 chassis.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #6

Nick- Sometimes you can find the sink strainer at the dollar store or Walmart. Just trying to help.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #7

Nick,
Doesn't your rig have the JRide Plus? I thought when Jayco upgraded the front sway bar the "quick fix" could no longer be performed? Would love to know what you figure out.
TIA!
Brandon
irishgolf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum, irishgolf17.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #9

The whole J-Ride thing is smoke and mirrors. If you go to Fords F53 chassis website and download the PDF files Ford clearly lists out what each motorhome chassis is equipped with. From what I can see is that Jayco maybe does the driveshaft balance the rest all comes with the chassis.
And all Precepts can have the CHF (cheap handling fix) done.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The whole J-Ride thing is smoke and mirrors. If you go to Fords F53 chassis website and download the PDF files Ford clearly lists out what each motorhome chassis is equipped with. From what I can see is that Jayco maybe does the driveshaft balance the rest all comes with the chassis.
And all Precepts can have the CHF (cheap handling fix) done.
Not at all true in my case. I have J Ride + and I have crawled under to look at things, with the Ford PDF in my hands. My Jayco definitely has different, and much more substantial, parts.
kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #11

Well printing the PDF and getting underneath is a good Idea. I got underneath my 35S but didn't have the PDF with me. I drive a really nasty mountain pass (US 2 Stevens Pass) and have decided I'm going to upgrade front and rear sway bars and possibly install Sumo springs. The stock sway bars and Jounce bumpers aren't cutting the mustard on that road.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

Agree with Vicr

Yep, J-ride is marketing speak for sure. I've purchased a Safety Plus stabilizer and will try that along with the chf. Hoping there are no fire ant nests under the front end
Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #13

We have a '16 Precept 31UL and I've added the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and just had the CHF on the front end done and it does make a significant and positive difference. Less sway, firmer contact/control and simply drives better. And although it seems to be a fairly easy change to the front end sway bar mounts, I was having the oil & filter changed at a Camping World store and was talking to service advisor and he was able to do while in for oil change for less than $100 - well worth it!
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #14

Thanks for the interesting discussion. I saw in another forum (can't remember which one) a post that a Precept 31 owner adjusted the "steering lash". I am not an expert and don't know where to find or to adjust that. Just wondering if anybody in this forum has any experience with that. Apparently it will improve the sway and it has a firmer control.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #15

"Lash" adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
Thanks for the interesting discussion. I saw in another forum (can't remember which one) a post that a Precept 31 owner adjusted the "steering lash". I am not an expert and don't know where to find or to adjust that. Just wondering if anybody in this forum has any experience with that. Apparently it will improve the sway and it has a firmer control.
Hi Sadie,

Lash adjustment is made to the steering column gearbox. I've read on various forums that it is fairly easy to adjust but so far I've resisted the temptation to "adjust". I am working under the assumption that Ford sets the lash properly and really don't want to fool around there. Lash adjustment should remove any slack in the gearbox between right and left steering wheel movement. Mis-adjustment here could cause problems so I've decided to go with the the tried and true Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #16

Sadie,

I agree completely with NickM, adjusting the 'steering lash' could be quite tricky and it really shouldn't be out of adjustment unless your coach is very old and/or had front end damage, etc. I'd defer to a Ford or suspension shop to determine if your steering box actually needs any adjustment. Most likely a steering stabilizer (I bought a Saf-T-Plus model and really like it) and/or the 'CHF' (a fairly easy change of the mounting of the front sway bar to the alternate holes provided by Ford), would make a big difference for you.
Good luck!
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #17

Thank you for the explanation. I remembered that the poster in the other forum actually said, that that he had lots of left and right steering movement. So I will not touch it for now.
Is the CHF done in the front and in the back?
I saw a "youtube" were a guy adjusted both. Also there was much discussion over it that the alternate holes are for the brakes in the back and should not be used to readjust the sway. Has anybody heard that the sway bar has broken because it needs to absorb more stress after the CHF?

nolosrv, which Safe-T-Plus model do you have?

Thank you for your replies.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #18

Sadie, if you google "You Tube Cheap Handling Fix" there is a video(s) that show how to do the CHF on both the front and rear of the Ford F53 chassis. There are 3 different models of Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizers for the different weight chassis. Simply go to their website to select the correct one for your chassis.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #19

Hi Vicr, there are two models that would fit the Precept 35S:

MODEL #41-140 Fits Class A Motor Coaches with Ford F-53 Chassis and Dodge M Chassis as well as trucks with minimal or light power steering.

MODEL #41-180F or Ford Class A Motorhome chassis with V-10 engines and trucks with power steering.

I am not an expert but maybe you can direct me to the right one?

Thank you
Old 01-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #20

The tan one 41-180. I'll be putting one on my 35S as well.