Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-27-2022, 10:56 PM   #1

First time Jayco buyer

I’m looking for some honest words of advice on purchasing and owning a Jayco. Let me give you some info.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2017 Jayco Alante 31ft long. It has 40k miles and they want $40k. This price seems pretty fair compared to what I’ve seen for similar A classes.

Are there any common issues these models have that I should keep an eye out for when I go inspect the RV?

My plan was to purchase this Jayco A class use it for a few trips to get the family used to RVing and then trading it in for a newer C class with bunks first our kids. I feel like this deal is to good to pass up and I could probably sell it for more during summer. Am I missing anything?
Esahic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 02:57 AM   #2

As far as issues, I can say our 2017 Alante 26X, with 28K on the clock, has had no issues. They only thing I have added is a steering stabilizer and Koni Shocks.
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:20 AM   #3

Welcome from York County, South Carolina!

2011 Jayflight X213
2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
fochman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Welcome... First, what model/floorplan is it, that will help those of us who have the same one tell you about what issues we've had.

https://www.jayco.com/rvs/class-a-mo...te/floorplans/

As to the 31' coaches they have the 31P and the 31V that year. I have the 31V and love it. Main issues i've had are:

1. Chassis battery drain - The coach doesn't charge the chassis battery when plugged in. Consider a battery maintainer or some other type of charger on the chassis battery for when its stored. I used an Amp-l-start, but it seems they don't make them anymore.

2. Rear end sway - The coach would be difficult to control when being passed by trucks while on the interstate. I did the CHF, added a tracbar, and a steering stabilizer and it drives 100x better. Check to see if this has been done on this rig and if not plan to do them to improve control.

3. Drop down bunk - Driver's side track was not screwed into the backing plate, so it pulled out. I redid the track and made sure it was on the plate this time, 15 min fix.

I did alot of other items to my coach, but most of those were preferences, not issues or safety-related. I would get a good tire pressure monitoring system and put some valve extenders on the front and outer duals to get to them easier. Hope this helps, and he's a link to my mods thread in case you have the same floorplan.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:43 PM   #5

The one I’m looking at is the 31P model. How much would it cost to upgrade the rear end? Are there any other options for battery maintenance?
Old 12-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #6

CHF:
Cheap Handling Fix, google or forum search this, but in a nutshell, it is adjusting the existing factory sway bars front and rear on the F53 chassis to different holes in the sway bars. There’s some controversy on this and some say its ok to do, some say don't do. I did the mod, don’t regret it (yet), and it seems to help, your mileage may vary. You can do this yourself if you have tools.

SuperSteer Trac bar (rear):
The rear trac bar, also called a panhard bar sometimes, is a chassis device that prevents the rear axle from moving side to side (driver to passenger) under the house. When heavy winds or passing trucks push the coach, the suspension will flex allowing that lateral movement, which can cause sway to be increased and oversteering to occur. To me the best bang for my buck so far and has helped me relax more while driving and passing trucks are a complete non-event. Parts are about $600, labor would be extra.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:46 PM   #7

I’m all about learning and DIY, so I will definitely look into doing the cheap fix first. Where can I read about the pros and cons so I v a decided for myself. Also where is the is the best place to buy RV parts?
Old 12-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #8

I would do the CHF and trac-bar minimum.... steering stabilizer is good for front end handling and will save your bacon in a front tire blowout. I feel its necessary, some don't agree, but personal preference. The trac-bar will be a necessity with that long overhang and 19.5" wheels. I don't have a single place I buy from, I just do some research and go with that. What parts are you looking for? The chassis stuff like the trac bar? I really like the supersteer stuff.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #9

In addition to the excellent advice already offered, if you aren't familiar with RVs, having someone with you who is may be invaluable. Not all potential issues are apparent unless you've lived through them.
Old 12-31-2022, 10:55 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Esahic;1088456]The one I’m looking at is the 31P model. How much would it cost to upgrade the rear end? Are there any other options for battery maintenance?[/QUOTE]

The 2020 31UL I recently bought charges/maintains the chassis battery from shore power (or generator) as it came from the factory. To tell if the one you plan to buy does, use your voltmeter to measure the chassis battery voltage with the engine off. Then start the genny or plug into shore power and check the chassis battery voltage again; the voltage should read higher.........if not, you will want a trickle charger.

On my old rig I used a "Battery Tender" brand for many years. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...a-434255813726 The "Amp-L-Start" seems to be more popular with RVers though. Both these (and a lot of other brands) are available on Amazon and are really easy to install.

Good luck with your coach purchase.
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:40 AM   #11

recently purchased a 2019 Alante 26x ( F53 chassis V10 Gas 20,000 miles) - we're the third owners:
1) grease lubricate the automatic stairs ( I like white lithium in a spray can with a tube type nozzle) be careful no one plays with the door while you under there - it's a machine it doesn't care where you r fingers are!
2) after lubrication clean off the "stair light" - should be a plastic amber "half globe"
3) tie up some of the wiring to the stairs - the mechanics/installers don't seem to care where the wires hang and wires "blowing in the wind" is never a good thing
4) If you have a gas rig ...look for heat damage to water pipe insulation especially after the muffler as the tail pipe makes a bend to exit the coach
5) If you can crawl under the engine area and with a strong flashlight look up into the "dog house" area - look for loose or missing insulation (mine is falling off)
6) install a trickle charger for the chassis battery - installed one from Amazon ( NOCO Genius2D about $40)
7) check the water heater "drain plug" (nylon) ...mine was leaking- again you can get a repair/replace kit from Amazon
hope this helps
Deznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:37 PM   #12

Yes I would like to buy the Trac-bar. Where can I purchase it?

Thank you all for the advice, this is exactly what I need to so I can be prepared.

Are there any particular places everyone gets their RV furniture and appliances? I’m located in Dallas Texas.
Old 12-31-2022, 09:14 PM   #13

etrailer is one site where you can buy suspension parts

https://www.etrailer.com/

super steer is another ( I prefer supersteer for chassis stuff):

https://supersteerparts.com/class-a-motorhomes

NOTE: you should follow the web sites "application" form to ensure you order the correct parts...GVW and wheel base are important in ordering the correct parts...I believe both sites have "chat" boxes in case you need help.

If you are a DIY type - Youtube has some great videos on how to install the chassis upgrades...a shop named "Hendersons" has teamed up with Supersteer to produce the videos...here is an example:

hope this helps - Happy New Year!

Important Note - don't spend too much time watching Youtube videos it is detrimental to your marriage!
Deznut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:40 PM   #14

One day before I was supposed to pick up my Jayco, I got a call from the seller saying someone forgot to winterize the RV and the pipes busted.

I’m waiting till Monday to get more information. Is replacing pipes something easy to do? I’ve fixed my own plumbing at home. Is it the same?
Old 01-09-2023, 06:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esahic View Post
One day before I was supposed to pick up my Jayco, I got a call from the seller saying someone forgot to winterize the RV and the pipes busted.

I’m waiting till Monday to get more information. Is replacing pipes something easy to do? I’ve fixed my own plumbing at home. Is it the same?
Nope, probably not the same. Pex is used throughout and RVs are built inside out. Often plumbing is run then walls are put in place.

Of all the terrible, no good things that can befall RVs, water is the worse. Be careful here.

Any chance they are stalling because there is another buyer perhaps offering more money?
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:48 AM   #16

Bummer.

1. I wouldn't touch this rig if they're disclosing burst pipes.
2. Even if the price dropped significantly, I wouldn't take on the task of repairing them. The visible connections are generally easy, but it's the hidden ones inside walls etc. that are the problem, as TaftCoach said.
3. (And if this is a "seller's regret" situation as TC wonders, you're better off not dealing with them anyway -- although I look at it as the seller doing the right thing by disclosing the damage up front. Not all would.)
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:50 AM   #17

In light of this most recent revelation, I wouldn't buy this rig on a bet! Since you said you only plan on using it a few times (to see if your family likes RVing), do you really want to spend all summer making repairs to this RV instead of camping with the family? Have you thought about renting a motorhome a few times instead? I'm sure there are several dealers in your area that offer rentals, and I'm pretty sure that would be a lot less expensive than purchasing and fixing this one. That's more money you can invest in the rig you and your family decide is "the right one for you"! (JM2C)