Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #21

Great, thank you guys so much for your comments.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:15 PM   #22

Another one for flat towing. I recently moved to a class a (about a year ago) and was debating this as well. I was at the point where I needed a new car as well, so I jumped in and got a Jeep Wrangler around the same time. From a towing perspective I am glad I did. I replaced the front bumper for about the cost of a tow plate, added integrated trailer lighting through a kit and also added the ready brake toad braking system. It takes me about five minutes to pull the jeep behind, put some cardboard on the ground and do all my hookups (I do have to crawl underneath because I hid my electrical connections since this is also daily driver). The bumper has integrated tow connections that I use for recovery hooks when not towing, it has a slightly more aggressive front end look that I like and, did I mention very fast and easy to get hooked, unhooked and put the vehicle in/out of town mode. I say this because you mentioned potentially finding another car and wranglers (from what I have read) are the easiest to outfit (I did everything myself for about 1500 (including the new bumper) and get into tow mode. After doing it I can't imagine wanting to have a dolly that I need to find a place for...or the few occasions where I had a generator issue (so no house ac) in Texas summer that my wife chose to drive behind me with the kids - so easy to disconnect and continue on the journey until I could get the Genny issue resolved.

Also many used wrangler already are setup for towing from previous owners if you choose to go that route. I bought new due to it being my daily as well.
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #23

Thank you Boiler01, so after reading all of the comments, which I really appreciate, I would have to buy a new or a lightly use car or jeep that can be flat towing, I know not all can.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Have you ever seen a flat towing toad disconnect from the tow vehicle? I have, and there are quite a few youtubes as well. Point being, anything being towed (trailer, dolly, or flat toad) needs to be carefully checked before and during any towing, safety chains are a must, and while not everyone agrees, brakes are very useful to have on the toad. ~CA
"That's how the internet go". 9.9 chances in 10 the reason for towing mishaps is "operator head space and timing" ( As my 1st Sergeant used to say) As for me, I haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet. I'm leaning toward a single axle alumacraft tilt trailer for my Suburu Outback, for one it can be backed, two, brakes and lights are on the trailer, three, I can install a receiver hitch on the Suburu to move the trailer if necessary. And yeah I know where to park the empty trailer may come up but I pull a double decker kayak trailer sometimes and so far I've managed. And for most of all ain't nothing going to be wifi, alexa, an IPhone app, linked to a satellite, bouncing a signal off Jupiter linked to a tower, or relying on a relay, goober at the plant forgot to connect because the break whistle blew. I like to keep it simple, as in "hack this, scooter".
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
"That's how the internet go". 9.9 chances in 10 the reason for towing mishaps is "operator head space and timing" ( As my 1st Sergeant used to say) As for me, I haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet. I'm leaning toward a single axle alumacraft tilt trailer for my Suburu Outback, for one it can be backed, two, brakes and lights are on the trailer, three, I can install a receiver hitch on the Suburu to move the trailer if necessary. And yeah I know where to park the empty trailer may come up but I pull a double decker kayak trailer sometimes and so far I've managed. And for most of all ain't nothing going to be wifi, alexa, an IPhone app, linked to a satellite, bouncing a signal off Jupiter linked to a tower, or relying on a relay, goober at the plant forgot to connect because the break whistle blew. I like to keep it simple, as in "hack this, scooter".

Thank you sir for your comment, I would love to go flat tow and I think I will be at first I might have to go tow dolly. To find a car or a small suv to flat tow it might be a little problem my wife is tall so, but I’m not sure right now. And thank you for your service, I was an E-8 MSG when I ETS.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Thank you sir for your comment, I would love to go flat tow and I think I will be at first I might have to go tow dolly. To find a car or a small suv to flat tow it might be a little problem my wife is tall so, but I’m not sure right now. And thank you for your service, I was an E-8 MSG when I ETS.
Just an E-6 w/6 yrs in. Had the meanest, baddest 1Sgt in the history of the U.S. Army when I was at Benning in the early 70's, James R. Cleaver, man I loved that dude. If you've ever seen "When We Were Soldiers and Young" the Sam Elliot character was him to a tee.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #27

Flat tow, as long as your Toad can do it

Flat tow. Absolutely. Blue Ox, easy on and of, less than 10 minutes. And just wait until you have to back up, can't, and have to take the Toad off. Don't ask but happened after my navigator got us on a bad place! BUT make sure you vehicle can be towed flat. Go to the dealer and ask for towing instructions for your vehicle.
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians first rv View Post
And just wait until you have to back up, can't, and have to take the Toad off. Don't ask but happened after my navigator got us on a bad place!
What do you mean by this?
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #29

Thank you guys for your comments, a couple of days ago well I would say about a week ago I couldn't connect with the finance guy at the dealer, him and my salesman guy said that they have been sending me email so I could send them my info.

Well I finally call or I should say that he call me and I got back with him today and he gave me his email and we were able to start sending email back and forth so now it's looking good, I will let you guys know.

We can't use my wife car, it's a 2020 Lincoln Aviator and after reading the manual it said that I can't flat tow and if I use the tow dolly I couldn't go over 35 mph and up to 50 miles, I will have to make sure 100% though.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:15 PM   #30

Well I hope everything works out for you. I am sure you know this but make sure you test all systems before signing final paperwork and ensure anything that needs addressed is in writing up front. They will probably do a fast walkthrough of the basics, but they usually miss a lot of detail (did you run water of city and fresh tank) did you plug in cable tv and it's antenna), etc. Can't recall if it was this forum or the other I am on, but here is a thread with very thorough pre delivery checklists to print/mark off. Good luck and hope things work out for you.
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:56 AM   #31

Thank you, sir I appreciate it, I'm supposed to go down soon and do the paperwork.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:32 AM   #32

We use a trailer to haul Mini Cooper. It is a manual transmission but hard to put a tow bar on. Also a good dolly cost more than a friend built me a 18' dove tail trailer designed to haul the Mini. Not messing with lights easy on and off. Only problem is in some camp grounds you have to park the trailer away from camp site. But the camp grounds I go to most have 75-100' pull throughs.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #33
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymracer View Post
We use a trailer to haul Mini Cooper. It is a manual transmission but hard to put a tow bar on. Also a good dolly cost more than a friend built me a 18' dove tail trailer designed to haul the Mini. Not messing with lights easy on and off. Only problem is in some camp grounds you have to park the trailer away from camp site. But the camp grounds I go to most have 75-100' pull throughs.
That's what I'm leaning towards for my Outback. I could do the prep on my Frontier to flat tow, but time I have everything done I'm in 5k territory, and from following forums it seems a lot of the braking systems are unreliable. Not into another pita thing to be worrying with.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:07 PM   #34

No Toyota

Quote:
We was talking about getting a little cheap car, maybe a 2019 RV4 or something similar but thank you for letting me know, I haven't gotten that far yet.
There are only a couple manual transmission Toyota’s that can be flat towed. I have a sienna and a rav 4 and that is why I dolly tow.
18PRECEPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:16 AM   #35

Thank you guys so much, I was wondering that do any of you guys have any pics that you can post.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:28 PM   #36

Here is our rig.
Attached Thumbnails
617C12DA-4BE1-40A9-972B-872667BA1173.jpg  
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Here is our rig.
Are you 50 amp, I see two A/C's?
Old 05-25-2022, 11:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Here is our rig.

Oh yes, yes that is a very nice setup, the dealer haven't got in contact with me yet, but they are suppose to be install the washer & Dryer plumbing.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Are you 50 amp, I see two A/C's?
30Amp.

It load balances the two AC units. It works great. Stays chilly in RV.
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:06 AM   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Thank you guys so much, I was wondering that do any of you guys have any pics that you can post.

Here's ours... I bought the little Saturn Astra off a guy who was changing out TOADs, and he sold the car with the baseplate, RVI braking system, Blue Ox Tow Bar, and some extras for $3500. The vehicles I had at the time could not be flat towed, so I just opted to buy one that could. The Astra is a bit odd in that its an Opel design from Europe, so parts are not easy to find (eBay), but its a 5-speed, so towing is simple. Unlock the steering and hook it up.

Check RVT.com, and look for tow cars, that's where I found mine. It came turn key. I literally put the tow bar in the RV, hooked it up and drove away with it.
Attached Thumbnails
RV & Toad.jpg  
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote