Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #1

Gfci

Can anyone tell me where to find the GFCI receptacle in a 2019 Precept. I have looked at every receptacle I can find in this new to us Precept, and no GFCI.

TIA
GRZLY 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

2019 Precept 31 UL, the GFCI is the electrical outlet in the compartment with the batteries and propane tank.
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRZLY 03 View Post
Can anyone tell me where to find the GFCI receptacle in a 2019 Precept. I have looked at every receptacle I can find in this new to us Precept, and no GFCI.

TIA

You might want to tell us what model Precept you have since they're not all made the same.
You also might want to let us know if you have a GFCI breaker in the electrical panel.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #4

It's a 34G and does have a GFCI breaker on the panel. In all 6 RVs before this, GFCI has been inside in kitchen or bathroom area.

Thanks, all.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
It's a 34G and does have a GFCI breaker on the panel. In all 6 RVs before this, GFCI has been inside in kitchen or bathroom area.

Thanks, all.
I know some states, like NC where I live, a recent code change dictates you now have to have a GFI breaker at the source (i.e., electric panel) vs the receptacle. My guess is Jayco is just complying with the most stringent state electric and plumbing codes.

Mark
Old 06-23-2021, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:

Thanks, all.
So what's the question then?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #7

The question was "where is the GFCI receptacle in a 2019 Precept 34G." The answer appears to be no-one knows, but it might be outside in one of the bays.

Thanks to all.

GRZLY 03
Old 06-27-2021, 03:21 AM   #8

Quote:
The question was "where is the GFCI receptacle in a 2019 Precept 34G." The answer appears to be no-one knows, but it might be outside in one of the bays.

Thanks to all.

GRZLY 03
I wouldn't say no one knows.... like we said above, you most likely have the GFCI circuit breaker in your power panel. If you do, then you won't have a receptacle with GFCI, but the GFCI is on the front end at the breaker.

Mark
Old 06-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #9

I have a 2020 31UL. I don’t believe any of the receptacles are GFCI. The GFCI is built into the breaker (bottom left breaker in pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Circuit Breakers 1.jpg  
Old 08-23-2023, 09:53 AM   #10

I have a 2022 Jayco Alante 31V. The electrical outlets have stopped working when on battery power only. The lights, power steps, refrigerator panel and control panel all work. I have a GFCI circuit breaker on my breaker panel. Any idea of what the problem is? Does the GFCI circuit breaker control only the electrical outlets?
OTDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 01:17 PM   #11

120v electrical receptacles never work on battery power only unless supported by an inverter.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:37 PM   #12

I have an inverter/converter. It appears to have been something with the inverter control panel. I had it at the dealership for warranty work a couple of months ago and they shut everything down. Apparently I had to go back through all the modes and turn things back on. But, the 12 volt lights and control panel still worked. Just seemed odd that only the electrical outlets didn't work. Thanks for the reply.
OTDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
I know some states, like NC where I live, a recent code change dictates you now have to have a GFI breaker at the source (i.e., electric panel) vs the receptacle. My guess is Jayco is just complying with the most stringent state electric and plumbing codes.

Mark
The NEC rules for RV’s is Article 551. RV’s have their own rules. There is nothing within that article about requiring a GFCI breaker instead of a receptacle. It does however mention that many walls in RV’s are too thin to install GFCI receptacles. I suspect that is the reason for the breaker. I’m glad you commented! I did find new rules for RV’s and RV parks. New parks will be required to install GFCI for all receptacles in the pedestals. And RV’s are now required to have reverse polarity and mis-wired systems detector and alarm built in them!
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote