Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #1

Angry Girarared Tankless hot water heater

I just purchased a 2017 Jayco Precept, and went out for the first time last weekend and my water heater would not work boondocking with using water from tank. I contacted Jayco and they say there is a recall on gas valve to water heater. Now the service department wants me to take photos of gas valve to determine which one I have. Does anyone know where it is located? I have looked in the water heater department on the outside wall of the Coach and I do not see any type of valve in there. Please tell me where it is located since my service department tells me they cannot. WOW! what kind of service department does not know that info.
tim3712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #2

Hi Tim, I don't know which version water heater you have, but mine is in a 2016 Ul31 Precept. My heater version is "-1M". I changed out the gas control module. it was fairly easy. Be sure to turn off all power and disconnect the coach battery(ground). It is located behind control housing panel that has the red light and on/off switch. In the attached photo I highlighted the 3 screws to remove. Carefully move the wires out of the way and take a picture of the wire connections & Gas controller. Also take pictures on the right side panel with the model and serial numbers. that might help as well.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
diagram-of-GSWH-1M.jpg   gsw-h-1m-water-heater-crontol-panel-m.jpg  
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

Tim it won't matter what component you replace on that particular water heater. Reading the other posts you will soon determine that until you replace that thing with a normal tank water heater you will never be happy with it. Just saying.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #4

Tim, we have '16 31 UL and also had problem with Girard water heater because of the known/defective gas valve. C-World replaced the gas valve and it's worked fine since.
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

I don't know if it's the same heater as on my 2017 Greyhawk, but there is a recall on the gas valves. The recalled valves look like two black caps fairly close to one another. The correct valves have a white ring around each cap. Don't know if this helps or even if it's the same. I believe mine is the 3rd generation heater. I saw another post from a guy with that heater with the correct valves. He found that the pressure reducer he bought at Walmart limited to pressure too low at 40 psi.He bought an adjustable one with a gauge that gives 45-46 psi and now the heater works fine. Jayco is suppose to cover it under warranty. I saw the bulletin, they do want the serial number of the heater. The work is suppose to be done at a dealer is my understanding.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #6

How do you find out if yours is the correct serial number.? If it fails what happens?
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #7

I believe they only want the serial number of the rig (VIN) but I could be wrong about that. If your valve caps are black then it is recalled. My valve's are on the lower left inside of the heater. There are two of them close together. They have a very obvious white plastic ring on the top of them
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote