Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
RWK

High altitude fridge issues

Greetings all. Any fixes in mind for RV fridge that hates to stay lit on propane at 6800 feet? My dometic always ran with no issues at altitude but this norcold is causing me grief. It runs during the day when the sun is out but at night its a grocery killer........

We cleaned out the back of the fridge service area, checked voltage, gas flow appears good but every night we were dead. This is a dry camping location that we like to visit. I read the manufacturers caveat about not working reliably above 5500 feet and I'm sure it's a tweak to make environmentalists happy. Since my last two older fridges worked here over the course of 15 years I believe there must be a fix.

I installed a fan in the fridge service bay for airflow but I don't believe that will fix this issue.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

Not sure what the problem is, my newer Norcold worked fine at 7200' for the week we were there. Sounds like it might be an issue with your controller as it is shutting off the gas. Did you take off the boiler shield and check the flame? All blue cone with a bit of yellow in the center, jet might be partially clogged. That altitude should have no effect on the propane flame, at least it didn't on my Norcold. If you find the issue please post it, the more info we have the better. Good luck. (we may have the same fridge as I have an Alante also)
PS... my Norcold does shut off at night when it is cold outside, but the fridge temp never goes above about 42º before it kicks back on, then there is the defrost cycle that turns it off for 1 hour every 24. I installed a ARP fridge defend to defeat that, and protect the boiler from over heat.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

Here you go, see if this resolution helps, which it did for me, fridge would not relight on it's own, had to keep relighting it with a butane lighter stick, and this 1/16" change in the electronic igniter gap remarkably worked and my fridge has worked flawlessly ever since, including the 1700 mile 8 day trip I just got back on up to Idaho mountains and back.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ved-58063.html
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
RWK

Thanks I'm going to try it this weekend! Gives me some hope.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
RWK

I'm going to try GL243s fix as he suggested. Your ARP fridge controller looks pretty clever, I will look into that.
Thanks