Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

Is it ok to park Precept for winter on an incline?

Our 2015 Precept has been winterized and we are questioning other Jayco RV owners if it is ok to park our unit on an un-level concrete driveway in Wisconsin for the winter.
We know we have to run the Onan generator with a load about once a month to keep it happy and functioning.
Any advice about storing our Precept on a pitched driveway would be a great help.
I don't know the exact number of degrees for that pitch, but I can say that the unit is parked with the front end wheels lower than the back end (so the front wheel axle would be about 10 or so inches lower than the rear axle).
Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #2

It is generally acceptable and there should be no problems with one exception and that is for the fridge. The gas absorption of the Norcold fridge requires a mostly level surface for safe and proper operation.

How Level Is Level Enough For Your RV Refrigerator?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #3

Thank you for your quick reply; it is very much appreciated.
We will NOT be operating the Norcold fridge at all during winter months. We understand (sadly) that the fridge must be level to properly function when parked...while traveling no problem.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

Without using the fridge and slides in no problem. I park my precept on slightly unlevel surface. It might be a good idea to use wood or something under your tires to get it closer to level but I don't think that's necessary.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Only other issue could be oil pick-up on the geny.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #6

As previously stated it should not be an issue for storage purposes. Just curious, what do you do when you are getting ready to use it on a trip? How do you level it so you can run the fridge? I have an inclined driveway as well and I back it in and put treated 6x6 blocking plus additional boards as necessary under the front tires to get it closer to level so I can run the fridge. So far it’s worked well but I’m always looking for a better way and like to hear new ideas.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #7

Grumpy: Yes, that is one of our concerns about parking on an incline. We don't expect to move our Precept to the road where it is fairly flat...just to run the gen monthly. Would it be advisable for us move it to the road for running the gen?

Rice1951: When we getting ready to hit the road during non-winter months, we cannot level it beforehand. THAT is really annoying. Our long-term option is to sell the home and move to one that has a flat driveway (a big one at that). Pretty extreme solution, but we have the added incentive to also move closer to our grandkids. In our home search, we also HAVE TO factor in the RV storage rules of the municipalities. We are finding THAT is not easy.

Tags
winter parking un-level