Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Just purchased '19 Precept Prestige 36U

Just purchased this unit. However, am finding out the much of what is in the owners manual or warranty information is just wrong or not even available. Talking to the dealer hasn't produced any results and so far only crickets from Jayco support.
We're not really going to use the unit until we go to FL in Dec for the winter, so will need to winterize while it's here in MD. The utility center is pretty straight forward on the winterization setup, but the details are where I'm lost. I've owned a class A before and winterized it myself, so am familiar with the process. In the owners manual it says I need a bypass hose to bypass the water filter for the winterization. No one could tell me where to get this hose. Turns out the hose doesn't exist. In removing the filter housing, I discovered instructions on the water filter housing for winterizing - remove the filter and replace the housing and let the housing fill with antifreeze. Simple enough, but why doesn't anyone at Jayco know this?
The other issue is winterizing the residential fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. Again, the Jayco owners manual states there is info from whirlpool, included in the warranty information, that provides the instructions. Nope - not there. I asked to dealer to get me the instructions. So far, nothing. Again crickets from Jayco customer support. (I asked over a week ago).
Now, the thing came from the factory "winterized", so someone at Jayco knows how to do this, so why won't they provide the instructions? If you ask why I didn't just leave it winterized, well, in our walk through to show me how things work, they hooked up water, so that took care of that.
So, if anyone out there has experience on Winterizing a whirlpool model
wrs571cihz00 residential fridge with water dispenser and ice maker, I'd appreciate it.
dgh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgh55 View Post
Just purchased this unit. However, am finding out the much of what is in the owners manual or warranty information is just wrong or not even available. Talking to the dealer hasn't produced any results and so far only crickets from Jayco support.
We're not really going to use the unit until we go to FL in Dec for the winter, so will need to winterize while it's here in MD. The utility center is pretty straight forward on the winterization setup, but the details are where I'm lost. I've owned a class A before and winterized it myself, so am familiar with the process. In the owners manual it says I need a bypass hose to bypass the water filter for the winterization. No one could tell me where to get this hose. Turns out the hose doesn't exist. In removing the filter housing, I discovered instructions on the water filter housing for winterizing - remove the filter and replace the housing and let the housing fill with antifreeze. Simple enough, but why doesn't anyone at Jayco know this?
The other issue is winterizing the residential fridge with ice maker and water dispenser. Again, the Jayco owners manual states there is info from whirlpool, included in the warranty information, that provides the instructions. Nope - not there. I asked to dealer to get me the instructions. So far, nothing. Again crickets from Jayco customer support. (I asked over a week ago).
Now, the thing came from the factory "winterized", so someone at Jayco knows how to do this, so why won't they provide the instructions? If you ask why I didn't just leave it winterized, well, in our walk through to show me how things work, they hooked up water, so that took care of that.
So, if anyone out there has experience on Winterizing a whirlpool model
wrs571cihz00 residential fridge with water dispenser and ice maker, I'd appreciate it.
Make pink slush and run it through filter and water dispenser as well. Flush in spring, sanitize and install new fridge filter.

It’s a residential refer and really no other way to do it in my opinion. You could blow it all out I suppose.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks. I know I can remove the filter. When the filter is removed, it automatically bypasses. Makes ice and dispenses water just fine without the filter. Can't blow out as also have a washer/dryer combo, which has to be winterized with antifreeze. I do know how to do that. Splendide provides detailed instructions.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:44 PM   #4

I also have a 19 36U that we bought last year. I just recently winterized for the third time since we use it in January. I first use air to eliminate as much water as possible. Set your valves to winterize and a compressor to 40 to 45 psi. After that, I fill a bucket with RV anti freeze. Elevate it if you can. You might need to reverse the cone filter so it will push on the check valve. Use a short hose and then turn your pump on and suck AF thru all your fixtures. Once done, pump water thru the dispenser on the fridge till pink. Leave the ice maker on and the pump will fill the ice maker. You'll have to leave it overnight and by am you will have pink cubes or slush.
To do the washer, pour a half gallon in and start a cycle, then drain. I
We love our coach. Very few small issues that the dealer fixed quickly. We have about 9,000 miles so far.
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. That's a big help. One last question - about how much antifreeze do you use?
Old 10-31-2019, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the information. That's a big help. One last question - about how much antifreeze do you use?
I think I used 5 total. Don't forget to run your outside faucet, hot and cold, and pour some in your macerator hose. Drain your water heater too. It will be bypassed with the valves set to winterize.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #7

I re-read your original post about the water filter bypass hose. Never heard of that, but there is a plug available. I just remove the filter and put the canister back. Remove your fridge filter also.
Good luck.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
I think I used 5 total. Don't forget to run your outside faucet, hot and cold, and pour some in your macerator hose. Drain your water heater too. It will be bypassed with the valves set to winterize.
Haven’t messed much with the macerator. How do you get the antifreeze in the hose?
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Haven’t messed much with the macerator. How do you get the antifreeze in the hose?
Just take the cap off and pour some in. Hold the end up higher than the macerator. Or, you could pour extra AF in the toilet, then run the macerator.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #10

Is there a vented panel below the refrigerator? If so, it should be secured with 4 screws. Remove the screws and the panel. There should be a water shutoff valve for the supply line to the refrigerator. Once all water is drained from the motorhome and the icemaker, remove the filter. Blow the water lines and shutoff the water supply. Replace the panel. Now you can add pink stuff to your water lines like you would normally do. I have not done this yet but this is what dealer in Kent, WA advised me to do. I have not found any other instructions either.
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

No vent under the fridge. No access under it all. Just going to run antifreeze through it as GCSuper described.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #12

I discovered what you (GCSuper) stated about just removing canister/filter and replacing the canister and let it fill with AF. These were the exact instructions - written on the outside of the canister!! Of course these instructions were facing away, so didn't see them until I removed the canister. What annoyed me was the dealer and Jayco couldn't seem to provide this information. And neither has answered me about winterizing the fridge. So far, I'm NOT impressed with the after sale support from the dealer or Jayco.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #13

Quote:
I discovered what you (GCSuper) stated about just removing canister/filter and replacing the canister and let it fill with AF. These were the exact instructions - written on the outside of the canister!! Of course these instructions were facing away, so didn't see them until I removed the canister. What annoyed me was the dealer and Jayco couldn't seem to provide this information. And neither has answered me about winterizing the fridge. So far, I'm NOT impressed with the after sale support from the dealer or Jayco.
I agree with you but only on the Jayco part. My manuals were a mess, several missing, and several for brands that I don't have. Don't know who is responsible for putting the packets together, but it was done by someone that really didn't care. I know Jayco changes vendors annually, but that process needs improvements. I made a list of what components I had and matched that with the manuals that were correct, then called or emailed the vendor of the product that I needed a manual for, bypassing Jayco. The fridge is a little different animal since its residential and winterizing is not normally needed.
On the dealer side, we've been very lucky as we have an excellent one. One example was in early July, on a Monday, we brought the coach home to prepare for a trip leaving that Friday. Discovered the front A.C. not working. They said bring it in pronto and they would do their best . We picked it up Thursday eve and left on time. They did this again for an electrical issue on short notice also.