Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

Just Wondering....Where do all the coaches go?

Is it just me or do others wonder the same thing? I have kind of a daily routine where I check the various forums starting with this one and then I look at Class A MH inventory (both gas and diesel) on numerous dealer lots throughout the country. I see so many coaches for the new model year for sale but there are also a lot of one or two year old coaches out there not including used ones. When I bought mine almost 2 years ago I had no intention of buying another and I still don’t. But I see owners on some of the forums buying new coaches almost every other year. They are either in debt up to their eyeballs or have a lot more disposable income than I can even imagine. Is there as much excess inventory out there as it appears to me? It is hard for me to believe that there are buyers for all these MH’s, especially when you’re looking at upwards of $200k. What do these dealers do with coaches that don’t sell? Just wondering.............
Old 12-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

We won't have a pot to piss in after next week but we are in the midst of selling and buying a motorhome, and frequently checking all the popular websites.
This will be our fourth but we have only made it this far by usually downsizing but continuing to save and move up in model year.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #3

Saw this explanation elsewhere......

Manufacturers will force unsold, previous year's models - and often unpopular models - to dealers when they order popular models. For example, Mr Dealer, if you want 5 23SS, you need to take 1 of these Model XYZ.

Manufacturers will then instinctive dealers on these unsold units with additional discounts, provide advertising funds to help move them and so on. They will also often help with the financing - called floor plan - and often pick up the tab on all interest charges. They will keep doing that until it's sold, often providing very, very deep discounts to some very unpopular models.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Saw this explanation elsewhere......

Manufacturers will force unsold, previous year's models - and often unpopular models - to dealers when they order popular models.
JAYCO doesn't build unless it's ordered. I can't see any other brand doing any thing much different.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
JAYCO doesn't build unless it's ordered. I can't see any other brand doing any thing much different.
You mean ordered by a Dealer?? So if dealers don't order them Jayco idles the production line? Maybe that is why they stopped making the 26AY, which is a better coach than the 26X which is still made.
I think he was referring to unsold models of past years still sitting.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
You mean ordered by a Dealer?? So if dealers don't order them Jayco idles the production line?
Yep, either for their lot or a customer.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Wow, some of these lots have row after row of. Inventory.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #8

Still just wondering...

Quote:
I think he was referring to unsold models of past years still sitting.
Correct. I get that coaches are ordered by either the end user or the dealers all across the country. I just wonder how dealers manage with all the money that is tied up in inventory on their lots, especially when they sit for several months or usually much longer. The msrp markups must be tremendous such that they routinely give 15-30% off resulting in the loss of thousands of potential dollars that could line their pockets. Apparently they are still making money or they wouldn’t continue to do it. I’m still just wondering..........