Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

removing seats

what is the easiest way to remove the driver and passenger seats in order to install sound damping and insulation under carpet and dash? (jayco precept 2015)
Terrell/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

I'm following this also, i'd like to move my drivers seat forward a few inches.

I can see the forward bolts pretty easy to access, the rear two bolts look a little more challenging.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #3

Hopefully there is info out there that will help us
Old 05-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

From what I've found there are 4 bolts through the sub floor that requires two people to remove - one above and one under the coach. The bolts are behind the front wheel and to make access easier the wheel should be turned as far right as it will go. This is on my list to do this weekend. Our driver's seat sits crooked and the only way that I can figure out how to straighten it is to remove it and to drill new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the response, I'm hoping to not have to go that route. I understand there's supposed to be another way to remove them if I don't have to relocate the pedistal.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #6

Soundproofing Jayco Precept

Morning, we sound proofed our Jayco Precept 29UR - see the details here http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...9ur-34059.html

All we did was remove the seats and not the base. Pretty easy - just one bolt which connects the base of the seat to the seat. No real need to remove the base plates - although you can - they are just attached with four bolts.

Made a huge difference.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
JanFeb2016 2016-03-03 004.jpg  
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #7

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. If I'm not mistaken I saw you post about installing insulation/sound proofing. How has it worked out?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #8

Worked great

The soundproofing made all the difference in the world, almost as quiet as a diesel pusher, not to mention better quality carpeting to put your feet in.

More details at the link above on how to remove the chairs, etc.

Also not that we added hushmat under the dash - enter through the front of coach ('trunk') and apply the hushmat on the very top which is the bottom side of the dash. Also apply to the firewall - anywhere you can fit it.

Then we added weather stripping to the main entrance door and sprayed insulation foam inside the voids of the steps. Now the stairs no longer produce so much road noise.

Have fun.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 PM   #9

I agree adding any of the sound deadening material really helps with the engine noise. Hardest part I found was removing the engine cover, hard time findng all the "hiden screws". Then prying the cover free of all the carpeting glue. Now you can carry on a conversation without yelling!
Bicycleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
RWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycleman View Post
I agree adding any of the sound deadening material really helps with the engine noise. Hardest part I found was removing the engine cover, hard time findng all the "hiden screws". Then prying the cover free of all the carpeting glue. Now you can carry on a conversation without yelling!
I know I'm dating myself, but when I was younger my dad had RVs. The dog house engine cover could be removed with a couple of flexible latches. I can't see any way to open this dog house cover. Ford recently couldn't figure out how to open it. The dealer service told me they don't know as they don't work on the Ford parts......(lame I know)..... From the pictures and descriptions I'm getting the impression it doesn't open easily....... Am I wrong?
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #11

Dog house is not removable on a Jayco Precept

You are correct the dog house cover should be removable to allow for easy access to the engine. Most other class A gas manufacturers figured this out and make the coaches that way (e.g. Newmar, Forest River, Tiffin, etc.). Jayco missed that important feature - going to make servicing the engine in the long run must harder than it should be. Another missed opportunity for Jayco to make the Precept a class A class A RV.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #12

The Dog house cover is removable, you just have to remove 9 screws that are hidden in the carpeting, once they are out and the two screws behind the radio are removed the cover can be slide back and removed.
This then allows access to front engine wall to install sound deadening material and when you put the cover back you can make sure it seals to the front of the engine bay framing. factory guys just push the cover in and hope it goes on top of the flange to seal.
Bicycleman is offline   Reply With Quote