Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

Sitting Position, Driver and Passenger

We have a 2018 Alante 31V,now with about 10,000 miles and we like it, in spite of various quality issues.

One thing that bothers us most, is that while the driver and passenger seats are comfortable first, they tend to press on the thighs after 3-4 hours drive. Part of the problem is that they are way too high. I am 5'10" with normal leg length but even in the lowest position I can not comfortably rest my feet on the floor. My wife is 5'2" and can sit in the passenger seat only well with a 5" block under her feet. I placed a 3" foam block in front of the driver seat as well.

As far as horizontal position, I move the driver seat forward as far as possible and that is O.K. but when my wife is driving, she needs a substantial pillow in the back to reach the pedals.

Questions:

- Is that normal and how are other people dealing with that?
- Is it possible to move the seats and possibly cut down the pedestal?
- Any recommendation for good aftermarket seats?

Thanks
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

My old car was to big for my wife. I added rubber blocks to the gas, brake and clutch pedals so she could drive. In our current jeep we have a 4 inch thick chunk of foam on the floor for her on the passenger side but she can drive with the seat forward and down some.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #3

If you look at the seat horizontal rails, there are several holes. Unbolt the seat and move it forward as far as possible then bolt down. Helps immensely with reaching pedals. Using the power seat buttons we adjust vertical movement. We are same height as you guys and have no problems.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #4

I have a Precept 31UL and I’m 5’8”. My problem is with the seat all the way forward I can barely touch the petals. Anyone have this problem? I wish the pedals were adjustable like in my truck.
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:12 AM   #5

Thanks Hawkster, I completely missed your post before mine 😴. I’ll give it a try
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopalgangr View Post
Thanks Hawkster, I completely missed your post before mine 😴. I’ll give it a try
Good luck. After moving the seat the seatbelt may be positioned a little close to your neck. You can gently remove the plastic cover on the wall covering the seatbelt anchor, loosen it and then angle this for your comfort. Re-tighten and good to go.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #7

I have this problem also...I am 5'6" and after 2 hrs driving I can barely walk and have extreme pain in back of thighs and shoulders. I have seat all the way forward with pillow behind my back so I can sit far enough forward for gas pedal. I have seat as low as it will go as well but need it about an inch lower...Contacted our dealer who advised us to go to another shop that does metal work. Rig is in dealer now for other warranty work. Will followup on the seat once that is done and report back. I saw video regarding adjustment of seat bracket. Dealer did not offer that even though I mentioned it. I saw in another post that their dealer advised it would void warranty if they moved seat forward on the bracket so owners did it themselves. Anyone know anything more about this adjustment voiding warranty?
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfernj View Post
..... I saw in another post that their dealer advised it would void warranty if they moved seat forward on the bracket so owners did it themselves. Anyone know anything more about this adjustment voiding warranty?
That sounds pretty stupid. There are even laws against voiding warranty for unrelated items. Of course if you don't bolt it down properly and the seat falls off this is not warranty. But every other thing on the MH should still be covered.
I am not a lawyer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. For that matter, if it is bolted one position forward, it could haven been done by the factory, couldn't it?
Old 12-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #9

I just saw this thread. We have a ‘17 Precept 31ul. I had the same seating position problems. I fixed the problem with a new pedestal. The factory provided pedestal is available from Flexsteel in 3 heights. I bought a new pedestal (less than $100) in the shorter (2” shorter) height and swapped it out in less than hour. Mounted the seat in the forward mounting holes, and no more aches and pains.
Phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils View Post
I just saw this thread. We have a ‘17 Precept 31ul. I had the same seating position problems. I fixed the problem with a new pedestal. The factory provided pedestal is available from Flexsteel in 3 heights. I bought a new pedestal (less than $100) in the shorter (2” shorter) height and swapped it out in less than hour. Mounted the seat in the forward mounting holes, and no more aches and pains.
Good move Phil's. If you had taken to a dealer they would have refused the work because of liability or taken two months and charged you $500.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #11

Check out this YouTube video on how to adjust your driver seat:
Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phils View Post
Thanks for the hint! So how do you order this? I did not find an online catalog. Is there a part number or do I have to call them to discuss?

Thanks, JB