Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

The Sumo Have Arrived....

So my Sumo Springs arrived today, just the fronts for now. I'm installing them tomorrow as the motorhome is getting an Alignment on Friday and I wanted to get them on before it was checked/corrected. I've read great things so we'll see how they work for me.

Has anyone here used them? If so have you tried just the front or are the only experiences here front/rear combos? If you have used them what is your opinion?

I'll grab some pics of the install and add them to this thread as soon as I can.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

We installed the Sumosprings Solo on our chassis both front and rear. Which ones do you have?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

I believe they are the Rebel series. They only sell one kit now, SSF-170-40-2. I'm hoping to do the rear in a few months.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #4

So, seat of the pants, I'd say easy 60%-70% improvement. Less body roll at low and high speed, better absorbtion of bumps, more resistant to push from wind and trucks. Definitely doing the rear too as soon as I have an extra $500 sitting around. I honestly didn't expect this much of an improvement.... No one thing is perfect, but they made noticable differences just about everywhere in the handling department. The F53 should come this way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180830_153817.jpg   IMG_20180830_165331.jpg   IMG_20180830_171828.jpg  
Old 08-30-2018, 07:57 PM   #5

We see you already have a front sway bar and steering stabilizer. What about a front trac bar?

These are the Solos we installed on both the front and rear, they are a single 'bump stop'; We also installed front and rear sway bars, steering stabilizer, Koni shocks, and trac bars, on our Chevrolet Kodiak chassis. Yes we are obsessed with handling.
Attached Thumbnails
SumoSpringFront.jpg   FrontSuspension1.jpg  
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #6

Sumo's have nothing to do with the alignment.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #7

I read somewhere that the coach would pick up some hieght, which it did about 1/2", and I wasn't sure if or how it could potentially impact camber. This is my first motorhome, but I do know when you lift a pickup you alter camber. I figured I'd be overly cautious and get them on before the alignment.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
What about a front trac bar?
The F-53 comes from the factory with a front Trac Bar, but not the rear where they need it the most.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #9

Unhappy Sumo Springs

Has anyone installed these in the rear yet?
If so, did it raise the back up at all?
I was wondering if the rear springs would lift the back up, to help put more weight on the front "oversized" springs.
Those front springs seem to be way oversized for the for the front my Precept 31UL, and I was hoping that the rear springs might put some extra weight on the front to help with the terrible "jarring" I get on the front!
newgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #10

The jarring is from your shocks. Change to Koni FSD's and you'll feel a huge difference.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

How easy was the install?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizikpal View Post
How easy was the install?
Pretty straight forward, you will need jack stands and a impact wrench to take the wheels off and support the frame, as well as a floor jack to adjust the axle height after the frame is supported. Then it is just a matter of checking behind the frame rail for stuff you don't want to drill into, mark the 1/2 way height of the frame, attach the bottom of the Sumo to the spring, jack up the axle until the top holes line up with you mark and drill. I did both in about 3 hours and wasn't hurrying. I didn't see any rise in the rear but really didn't measure all that close, what I did notice was a lot less sag when loaded.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgen View Post
I was wondering if the rear springs would lift the back up, to help put more weight on the front "oversized" springs.
Those front springs seem to be way oversized for the for the front my Precept 31UL, and I was hoping that the rear springs might put some extra weight on the front to help with the terrible "jarring" I get on the front!
Vicr is right, only way to deal with the jarring is to replace the shocks. The Konis are nice, I also like the Bilstiens.

As for your other question.... I actually did circle around to the rear, but I went with Timbrens instead of Sumos. The install didn't require any drilling and was ridiculously easy. The combo of the Sumo up front and Timbren in the rear has changed the motorhome 100% in terms of how civilized it rides down the road.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
RWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgen View Post
We added the Koni shocks and the Sumos front and rear on our Alante. I agree a rear track bar is a must. We have the super steer rear track bar. The Sumos also keep the coach from jouncing around when your jacks aren't down and you are moving around in the coach..........
We added a leaf spring and an inch spacer to the rear end because it dragged and scraped through driveways. We didn't stop adding stuff until it felt safe.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:17 AM   #15

I installed front and rears on my last rv it was a FR3 with the F53 chassis and I noticed a huge improvement in handling.
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
The F-53 comes from the factory with a front Trac Bar, but not the rear where they need it the most.
OK you show Kelderam Air ride and sumo Springs. Was the Kelderman in front and the Sumo in the rear
Micikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micikas View Post
OK you show Kelderam Air ride and sumo Springs. Was the Kelderman in front and the Sumo in the rear
Yes, the kelderman added derated spring packs (stock are way to stiff), a better trac bar, and air bags, really improved the ride a LOT!. The Sumo in the rear do not lift at all but do reduce the loaded sag I was getting, now with full tanks and all loaded up for a trip the rear does no sag at all, plus they help reduce any sway that gets past the rear trac bar.