Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #21

Not sure this will help your decision but I bought a 2017 Alante 31V and made some mods that really make driving and ride much better. I installed a Safe-T-Plus for steering control especially when big trucks pass. Added Sumo Springs and Koni shocks for ride improvement. Your tires are bigger than mine so your ride could improve more. Bottom line...you probably will do similar or more to get the driving experience you hope for.
Fido & Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #22

2017 Precept

We just put over 7000 miles on our Precept, on a northwest adventure, originating from Cincinnati. No mechanical issues. However, plenty of annoying warranty things.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #23

We are two 59 year old women with a 2014 Jayco Precept 31UL. Have traveled from Calif to Niagra Falls, Key West, and toured the Washington Penninsula with no handling issues at all. For us it’s been a perfect match. Good luck with whatever you decide.
jjungers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #24

2015 Precept 31UL. Handling was "interesting" at first, but after adding safety steer, raising tire pressure to 90lbs and doing the CHF, it drives fine. Very predictable. 65-70 no problem, but likes 60.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #25

Precept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernman View Post
2015 Precept 31UL. Handling was "interesting" at first, but after adding safety steer, raising tire pressure to 90lbs and doing the CHF, it drives fine. Very predictable. 65-70 no problem, but likes 60.
Our rig came with JRideplus. After purchase, we loaded it up and took a short trip to Michigan, from Northern Kentucky. No matter what I did, it drove like I was steering on the edge of a razor blade. Horrible stability. Upon returning to NKY, I fueled it, left black and gray tanks half full, and topped off the water. I then weighed it, and properly adjusted the air pressure in the tires. I run between 85-90 lbs. Handling, and ride improved. Called dealer to have them schedule an alignment with reputable alignment shop. Shop had to bend the front axle to align. After that, PERFECT!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #26

We did purchase the unit. It does drive pretty well with one hand. Ocasinally i have felt it a little squirly when you ride the road ruts and when a sudden gust of wind hits you. I filled up the fresh water tank and noticed it is located behind the rear dual wheels as well as the gas tank. The tires on delivery were only inflated to 80psi all around. I am sure that with weight on the front axles it will ride smoother as well as proper inflation. Other than that it does seem to cruise good at 63 and very well at 55. It does have The 192” wheelbase but it get around tight spots in town quite well and parks very easily. The opposite slides in the living room makes this smaller coach quite roomy. We find it nice to have 3 slides in such a small unit.
Not sure I understand the gutters though which seem to drain right on the front windows and on the rear as well. Will gutter extensions work on that configuration.
Still in the process of checking everything. Thank you all for your feedback.
Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:21 AM   #27

We have a 2016 Jayco precept 31 UL which now has all the bugs worked out of it.
We have now made 3 trips across country and have had no engine or handling problems in fact it handles better than many big diesel pushers 4 times the price. It handles the wind very well and the mountains are not a problem as it has lots of power and the transmission is superb for holding you back on the way down. BUT WE HAD A LIST OF 20+ PROBLEMS SO FAR.
1. The over cab drop down bed needed to be re-attached and re-enforced as it shook loose. even now I recommend tightening the screws every couple of weeks as it shakes loose.
2. The furnace was the biggest problem as it would not work unless we were plugged into 50 amp service or the generator was on. This took the full 2 years of warranty to get a new furnace finally.
3. We had a mold problem on back wall and they had to replace the entire wall due to water leaks.
4. minor problems on other items to many to list but still a pain int he a$$
finally got it into a large service center in Manteca California and it took 3 months but they fixed every problem under warranty. thanks go to Glen my service advisor.
so my recommendation is try the furnace, air conditioners, water heater and other items before driving away. but other than the normal problems with all; new RV's we love the 31 UL and have over 18000 miles on it already. So I guess the reality is we are very happy with the rig and the Jayco service center in Manteca
California. Manteca trailers
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:52 AM   #28

I have a 2014 UL and it did wander. I replaced the steering stablizer with a higher grade model and that did the trick.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #29

We love our 2017 Precept. Handles very well, like a big car circa 1970-80. Wind has not been a problem and trucks passing is a non issue. My wife loves to drive and they both do great on mountain roads.
KennyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #30

Kenny what is a "Union Thug"?

Vic Rutherford
IBEW Local 46
Seattle, WA
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #31

We thought we needed a second new fiver picked up an 2006 Eagle RSTS. Guess to much time went by since are 2006 purchase.Same crap no one wants to do warranty.In shop today almost 3 years to complete final warranty list from 2017!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #32

In retrospect , I should have listened to the feedback posted on this forum to folks with actual driving experience with the Jayco Precept. It is just like they said: “A total piece of Junk” I never drove anything so horrible in my life. Took all suggestions and had everything done underneath on the chassis and after spending 5 k it did not do a bit of difference afterwards. We stopped at Safety Steer plus in Grants Pass, Oregon, and they took us for a ride with my wallet. Nothing helped. Track bars,sway bars, steering stabilizers, koni shocks you name it.
Talked to 4 FORD DEalers, made appointments , Sacramento, Bakersfield, Glendale,az. Showed them the video of steering play and handling, their answer: You are just gonna have to get used to driving it.
5000 miles later made it to Florida and going back west soon. Not looking forward to it. The Coach is constantly going right and left nonstop, more when trucks pass and even more when windy. Requires 100% attention span while driving. Forget cruising along.
A total disaster waiting to happen, dangerous to others as well . Plus I have a list of warranty items they could not fix. 6 week wait for warranty parts.
Pitted new windshield ,falling apart wipers,overhead bed fell down, had to put a 4 x4 under so it would not fall while driving. Rear AC blows warm,
Pretty much given up with warranty ,always nice but no resolve.
Take my word for it this is our 5 th motor home and the newest and the worst. DO NOT BUY a JAYCO PRECEPT 31UL, YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID. It looks great, the inside is nice but that is all ! The FORD F53 Châssis is the worst , it is a Garbage Truck Chassis and it rides like one.
Remember, once you buy it , you’re on your own no one will help you unless you got tons of Money and years of patience.
Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #33

Over the years we have met one couple in Oregon that live in Redding, Ca. And they have a motor home and mentioned that the only place they would consider working on their unit is the one in Manteca, Ca. just as the other post mentioned.
Sorry to here about your problems and hope they get resolved.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #34

EXTREME>>>>>>>>We too have a 31UL, 2018 and have had some minor problems but nothing that has not been taken care of by Jaycos warranty. And we haven't done all the fixes you describe on the handling and it doesn't drive like you describe. Granted, it's not going to handle like a Porsche but it's not nearly like you describe. Maybe you need to find a new warranty center and contact Jayco warranty directly. They've been very helpful and accommodating to us.

Next time buy a Tiffin or Prevost. For our money we got an excellent deal and product which is what we wanted. Have driven numerous other units and the Precept is far above the others in ride and handling. For our price point you shouldn't expect a 500K or more diesel pusher ride and quality. But for our money we did get good value for what ours had and a decent motorhome.
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #35

Sorry to hear your problems Extreme! Something must be wrong, although it sounds like you've tried just about everything.

Just came back today from a 1,000 plus mile trip in our 2015 31 UL, and it drove just fine. I did have pretty wild handling when I first got it, but added safety steer, CHF and pumped all tires to 90LBS and my problems largely disappeared. Theoretically mine should be worse than yours since I'm on the shorter wheelbase and 19.5 tires, but I really can't complain.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #36

2017 Precept 31UL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955farm View Post
EXTREME>>>>>>>>We too have a 31UL, 2018 and have had some minor problems but nothing that has not been taken care of by Jaycos warranty. And we haven't done all the fixes you describe on the handling and it doesn't drive like you describe. Granted, it's not going to handle like a Porsche but it's not nearly like you describe. Maybe you need to find a new warranty center and contact Jayco warranty directly. They've been very helpful and accommodating to us.

Next time buy a Tiffin or Prevost. For our money we got an excellent deal and product which is what we wanted. Have driven numerous other units and the Precept is far above the others in ride and handling. For our price point you shouldn't expect a 500K or more diesel pusher ride and quality. But for our money we did get good value for what ours had and a decent motorhome.
I LOVE my 2017 Precept 31UL! If Tiffin, or Prevost, had this floorpan, I would have bought one. For the money, this rig has worked very well for us. Deal with Jayco Service DIRECTLY during warranty. I have a GREAT dealer. Believe me, problems occur with the $500,000 rigs too! It's just THERE problems are a lot more expensive to fix!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #37

I've been reading thru these threads and thought "maybe someone can't drive large vehicles well".
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote