Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

Warning - Dual Tire Inflators - Hub Mount Stainless Steel - 4 Hose Kit for 16"-19.5"

Heads up folks.... Camping World installed Dual Tire Inflators - Hub Mount Stainless Steel - 4 Hose Kit for 16"-19.5" Wheels and I let them because they did not have the solid steel ones. Dumb Me. I never felt comfortable with them and right before this trip I am currently on and wanted to put solid steel extenders not braided but discount tire would not work on 19.5 size tires... so I was told on the phone. So I put it off as I just returned from a 1500 mile trip round trip to Texas and back with no problems. I had just embarked on another trip from New Mexico to SC and got 502 miles in when right outside of west Oklahoma City my TireMinder sensor alerted "no sensor"

Fortunately, I was just 30 yards away from an exit with a gas station Exit 108 east bound and puled in quickly. I walked around to see what happened and the senor was gone the steel braided tube was gone only thing left was the stem of the breaded still attached to the tires stem. I turned it and it began to leak air quickly so I turn it back to shut off the air. The tire was almost flat but not flat enough to buckle the side wall.

So here I am sitting waiting on a tech to bring me a tire if I need one... from the looks of it do not think that I will. I did tell them to bring me steel tubed extenders and will be replacing all of these when he arrives.

What saved me was the sensor..... if I had not had them i would not have known that the extension failed and the rear drivers side outside tire would have torn up who knows what.

So if you have those.... my advice is get rid of them. Be Safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Dual Tire Inflators Camping World.jpg   Braided Stem Extention Failure 10.24.2020.jpg  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

Have used the braided extensions for 25 years on my old dually and for 5 years on my Greyhawk. Never had a problem. I do have a TPMS cap on it now for monitoring which gives some piece of mind.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #3

Glad you have had no issues. Had to have the tire replaced and back on the road.