Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #1

Advice needed - running extension for wireless camera antenna

I intend to install a 35' antenna extension cable to the wireless camera on the rear of my 29RKS. My thought is to attach the L bracket for the antenna just under the gutter on the side of the TT near the front. The question is how do I run and attach the cable? Should I run it along the top and attach with Gorilla tape or something else... or should I run it across the back and then along the side, just under the gutter, attaching it with some type of small clamp or clip? Any suggestions?
Moseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:31 AM   #2

Can you describe what the front connection point will perform?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Can you describe what the front connection point will perform?
One end of the 35' cable will screw into the top of the camera, where the antenna goes. The other end will attach to a connector which is attached to an L bracket for mounting. Then the antenna will screw into that connector... closer to the TV.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #4

Is this a backup/traffic camera?
If so why not just run the wire as far up the frame of the trailer to the front as possible then it will be closer to the cab of your tow vehicle? Or does it run along the roof and the camera is mounted to the rear wall of the trailer?

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Is this a backup/traffic camera?
If so why not just run the wire as far up the frame of the trailer to the front as possible then it will be closer to the cab of your tow vehicle? Or does it run along the roof and the camera is mounted to the rear wall of the trailer?
Yes, it is a backup/traffic camera. I think the question you're asking is the same question that I'm asking. Do I run it across the roof, or do I run it around the edge? Either way, how should I attach it? Screws? Tape? Could I just lay it in the gutter on one side and use a sealant to hold it there?
Old 12-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

Does your TT have old school siding or smooth fiberglass. If siding I would use a fish tape to pull the wire down behind the siding on the rear of the TT then follow the frame rails toward the front
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

I think it will depend on where it is mounted. I have my camera mounted in the middle of the bumper. Then I ran the wiring through/along the bumper and up the frame to the very front. I was able to use the existing wire straps that run along the frame.
If you're mounting the camera up high I would say through the gutter would be the easiest and depending on how adventurous you are will determine how you mount and the loose wiring it to the unit. I know a lot of people will not put any extra screws into the roof than it already has, and for good reason.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #8

I did the same thing and used an "L Bracket" and attached the antenna to the front AC unit and it rides great and the reception is awesome. Jayco paid for my cable which tells me that they know of the issue of the cameras not transmitting through the longer RV's and into the truck. I just used the non leveling caulk and attached it to the roof. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
20160417_134104.jpg  
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #9

Project completed!

Ok, here it is. I mounted the L bracket to an existing screw near the front of the TT, and then added 1 screw. Sealed it. Ran the cable along the gutter, and drilled a very small hole near the top lip of the gutter every 24". Attached cable using small cable ties.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wi...ufIkrdr8Ks4PQO
Old 12-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #10

I had thought about using a separate camera and transmitter, allowing me to put the transmitter close to the front of the TT. Anyone tried this?

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote