Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
As a fellow Tacoma owner how does the Tacoma do pulling the trailer? I pull a Feather 7 18RBM with a 2012 Tacoma.

I added some Timbrens a larger transmission cooler and a Scanguage to monitor water and trans. temps.

Here is a link that you might find useful: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ng-bible.4031/
Mine does just fine. I pull the trailer in 4th at around 70mph on the interstate. Added a break controller and a friction style anti sway bar. The truck handles the load just fine. I was thinking about a WD hitch but it really does not seem to need one.
I watch my temp gauge and have never seen it rise even a notch. Would be cool to have a computer that could tell me all of the trucks info including trans temp.
My trailer loaded is supposed to be around 4000 pounds. Plus 4 of us in the truck and other junk in the bed.
Pulling the trailer, truck gets between 10 and 12mpg depending on speeds and other loads. I am sure it is a little better on back roads where speeds are slower.
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:40 PM   #62

"I watch my temp gauge and have never seen it rise even a notch. Would be cool to have a computer that could tell me all of the trucks info including trans temp."

A Scangauge can give you that information:

https://www.scangauge.com/
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #63

Quote:
"I watch my temp gauge and have never seen it rise even a notch. Would be cool to have a computer that could tell me all of the trucks info including trans temp."

That looks pretty cool. Looking through the list of things that it can do, the one thing I don't see is transmission temperature. That is the one thing I would like to see the most.

Do you have one of them on yours?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #64

Quote:

Was just reading a little more about that stuff and looks like an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and the Torque app for my cell would do everything I would want and more. And its really inexpensive.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:14 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger4343 View Post
Was just reading a little more about that stuff and looks like an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter and the Torque app for my cell would do everything I would want and more. And its really inexpensive.
I bought this one as insurance for a 6,000 mile trip we did last year:

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...gateway&sr=8-7

It can definitely do transmission temp and you can log all kinds of things that you probably will never need.

Power usage is very low, so I just keep it plugged in the OBD port.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #66

The Scan gauge can measure transmission temps as well as many other things, as another poster mentioned, things that you probably will never use. Which ever one you choose they are cheap insurance compared to burning up an automatic transmission.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:00 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd View Post
I bought this one as insurance for a 6,000 mile trip we did last year:

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...gateway&sr=8-7

It can definitely do transmission temp and you can log all kinds of things that you probably will never need.

Power usage is very low, so I just keep it plugged in the OBD port.
That looks impressive! So... Will it beep or something if my transmission oil is getting too hot and I need to pull over? Or do I have to keep looking at my phone to see?...
2005 Sienna Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 Sienna Murph View Post
That looks impressive! So... Will it beep or something if my transmission oil is getting too hot and I need to pull over? Or do I have to keep looking at my phone to see?...
It might, but I have never heard it, maybe because my transmission never overheated. The software is pretty powerful, and I didn't have time to play with it too much, I got the device two days before out 1 month trip, so many other things to take care of.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #69

Leveling Jacks...

I think this is the next thing on my list. The trailer has two rear jacks and I guess they do okay but I feel like the trailer needs 4 jacks. There is still a good bit of movement in the trailer and you really feel it at night if someone moves around while everyone is sleeping. Probably not a big deal at all but I think I am going to get a set of 4 Scissor leveling jacks.

I don't need to replace the two in the rear but I think I would like to have 4 matching scissor jacks.

Saw these on Ebay and I am thinking of ordering these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pcs-24-50...53.m1438.l2649

Anybody have any suggestions on jacks or is having the pair on the front really needed?
Old 05-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #70

Hi Rigger, I like your storage area lights, and Im thinking about installing LEDs near each opening. It appears that your front storage area is similar to my 212BQ. Where did you tap into the DC at?

Thanks

Tommyjay
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Leveling Jacks...

I think this is the next thing on my list. The trailer has two rear jacks and I guess they do okay but I feel like the trailer needs 4 jacks. There is still a good bit of movement in the trailer and you really feel it at night if someone moves around while everyone is sleeping. Probably not a big deal at all but I think I am going to get a set of 4 Scissor leveling jacks.

I don't need to replace the two in the rear but I think I would like to have 4 matching scissor jacks.

Saw these on Ebay and I am thinking of ordering these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pcs-24-50...53.m1438.l2649

Anybody have any suggestions on jacks or is having the pair on the front really needed?
I put two of the BAL 23225 25" C Jack with Handle - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002P2YTIA/..._gdMYCb7XYBX35 jacks on the front of my 174BH. They run front to back along the frame, same as the Baja edition of the trailer. The small ones in the back for sure are flimsy and I may change them out to the sturdier ones like I put in the front.

Keep in mind that extending them onto blocks helps with the movement as they aren't extended down as far.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #72

having front stabilizers definitely helps. But we made ours for five bucks using two 2x4 s mitered to jam against the frame and angled to sit square on the ground.. Held together at ground level by a ratchet strap that runs through two eye hooks one on each leg.. That way they cannot spread.

I seem to have lost the pic and the RV isn't here.. We slid on ice and punched a hole in it and its in the shop.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyjay View Post
Hi Rigger, I like your storage area lights, and Im thinking about installing LEDs near each opening. It appears that your front storage area is similar to my 212BQ. Where did you tap into the DC at?

Thanks

Tommyjay
I have a carbon-monoxide detector right there. I just grabbed some power from it for the lights. They were some LED's that I had sitting in my tool box and the draw almost nothing so since 12v was right there, I didn't see an issue with using that.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #74

Exhaust Fan

Well I ended up ordering the Vortex 2 fan to install. I think the single speed fan really would have been just fine but I did like the idea of this one having mutable speeds and is reversible.

Since we had no fan to start with, there was no power. Easy fix though, just grabbed a little power from the light right there. Fished wire over to the fan hole. Had to move the little knob thing over to work on my vent but that only took a minute. Hooked up the power and it was an easy two screws to mount. Put the trim ring back on and done!

Very easy install and did not take long at all. Seems like it can move a good bit of air even on low speed. Should be a nice little addition.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail (25).jpg   thumbnail (26).jpg   thumbnail (27).jpg   thumbnail (28).jpg  
Old 05-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #75

Quote:
Exhaust Fan

Well I ended up ordering the Vortex 2 fan to install. I think the single speed fan really would have been just fine but I did like the idea of this one having mutable speeds and is reversible.

Since we had no fan to start with, there was no power. Easy fix though, just grabbed a little power from the light right there. Fished wire over to the fan hole. Had to move the little knob thing over to work on my vent but that only took a minute. Hooked up the power and it was an easy two screws to mount. Put the trim ring back on and done!

Very easy install and did not take long at all. Seems like it can move a good bit of air even on low speed. Should be a nice little addition.
Those fans just fit inside the existing vent yah? Thinking of adding one to my bathroom rather than pulling the entire vent and replacing it.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
Those fans just fit inside the existing vent yah? Thinking of adding one to my bathroom rather than pulling the entire vent and replacing it.
They fit inside of the 14" sq. opening and all the work is done from the inside, so no pulling the vent and the need to reseal.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #77

Quote:
They fit inside of the 14" sq. opening and all the work is done from the inside, so no pulling the vent and the need to reseal.
That's what I though. Might have to do that rather than a entire new bathroom vent. Thanks
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
That's what I though. Might have to do that rather than a entire new bathroom vent. Thanks
It really is a simple install. No need to do anything on the outside of the camper. I think it took me longer to decide which fan I wanted than it did to install it!

I am looking forward to putting it to use on our next trip.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #79

Picked up this simple water filter today at Walmart. Thought it may be a good idea to have the water filtered before getting into the camper.

I was looking into putting together a really nice water filter system and plumbing it into the camper somewhere but I thought I might just try simple and easy first.

From what I understand, these little filters are supposed to be good for one camping season. Never have used one of these before so I guess I will just see how long it last. Anyone have any input on these filters?
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail (29).jpg   thumbnail (30).jpg  
Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #80

Did a little preventative maintenance project today.....

As I was messing around with the fridge, I noticed on the black plastic vent/covers there is wood that had the potential to get wet on the bottom of each vent frame/trim ring.

What I thought could be possible is that since there is nothing to keep water from seeping up under the bottom edge of the vent that there could be the possibility of future rot issues.

So I took on a very simple little project. Just took a little handy man aluminum, some black silicone and made a little water barrier. Just something very simple to keep water from seeping past the black trim and wetting the wood on the other side.

Again, not sure if this was really needed or not but it could not hurt a thing to do it anyway. Pictures are not the best and it was getting dark but I think you get the idea. This is a simple little thing to do.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail (36).jpg   thumbnail (37).jpg   thumbnail (40).jpg   thumbnail (39).jpg   thumbnail (34).jpg