Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 259
oh forgot to mention: Love your mod! adding shelving to the side closets is definitely something I need to do too. Currently we just use baskets in behind on the bottom but they are a pain to access and don't do all that much to organize things.
__________________

__________________
2011 28BHS
2011 F-150 5.0L with tow package
canuckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
I like the idea of adding adhesive as well as screws. Even with a bunch of them, I would be afraid they would strip right out of that luann (or whatever that thin wall board is).

I thought I had a plan for my shelves, but this thread is giving me some great ideas!

We use our closet almost the same as Newbold, and it gets annoying having stuff scattered around in the bottom, and having to dig around for what you're looking for.

I also used some of those same battery powered puck lights in my closets (DW left hers on and killed the batts in hers the first trip after I installed them ) , but here in the TX heat, the adhesive on the back doesn't stick anymore. So when I finish the mod, I'm going to use screws to mount them more permanently.
__________________

__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
RoyBraddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King George
Posts: 2,398
I always had good luck using the CLOSETMAID brand shelves kit (LOWES) and cut to fit. They are designed to be pretty strong... Comes in different arrangements and sizes and color. Can be repainted to match your decor...



Roy Ken
__________________
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
newbold1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Joelton, TN
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I like the idea of adding adhesive as well as screws. Even with a bunch of them, I would be afraid they would strip right out of that luann (or whatever that thin wall board is).



I thought I had a plan for my shelves, but this thread is giving me some great ideas!



We use our closet almost the same as Newbold, and it gets annoying having stuff scattered around in the bottom, and having to dig around for what you're looking for.



I also used some of those same battery powered puck lights in my closets (DW left hers on and killed the batts in hers the first trip after I installed them ) , but here in the TX heat, the adhesive on the back doesn't stick anymore. So when I finish the mod, I'm going to use screws to mount them more permanently.

Yep I screwed my light pucks to the upper shelf. They won't be coming off now.
__________________
Joelton, TN
2013 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 Long Bed
2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
newbold1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Joelton, TN
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckowner View Post
... if u ever needed more strength on the upper shelf, u could always use a thin horizontal trim board running the width of the shelf in place of the metal brackets. Those horizontal trim boards could then have a few more screws than the metal brackets, but more importantly, could also be coated with a very strong adhesive. We mounted a small decorative board with 3 coat hooks onto the wall that houses the fridge. It just has a few very small screws in it, but the real strength comes from the powerful adhesive bonding it to the wall. At any given time there are at least 10 coats, rings of keys, hats, purses, etc. hanging off that thing with ease.

Might do the adhesive if we ever want put any weight up there. At the moment it seems surprisingly strong. It's probably going to just hold a purse or folded clothes so nothing much really.
__________________
Joelton, TN
2013 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 Long Bed
2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbold1 View Post
Might do the adhesive if we ever want put any weight up there. At the moment it seems surprisingly strong. It's probably going to just hold a purse or folded clothes so nothing much really.
Yeah I sort of figured that after I posted the comment; not likely to be much weight on that shelf.

However, if you ever decide to store your bowling ball on that closet shelf, give the glue idea some more consideration ;-)
__________________
2011 28BHS
2011 F-150 5.0L with tow package
canuckowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vineland
Posts: 5
Great ideas. I have been wondering what to do about all the wasted space in those closets
GingersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
rowclic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Barrie
Posts: 6
We just bought our 2015 28BHS this weekend!!! (previous was a 2012 Trail Runner 25SLE)
I did the same kind of shelving in our previous trailer with the trim pieces that canuckowner is mentioning. I added some No More Nails adhesive to the strips and used a small brad nailer to keep them solidly in place. It worked great.
Now I'm thinking of how to make it better in the new trailer. I like the idea of the shelf on legs - makes it less permanent if I want to make a change. Maybe a couple of them stacked on top of each other would work?!?
Seeing that the trailer is gone to storage for the winter I have a few months to come up with my next brilliant plan.
If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them!!
rowclic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
herewego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Alvin
Posts: 1,100
Very nice Job !!
__________________
Roy & Joyce
Alvin Texas
Delta German Shepard (She thinks she is a person)
2017 Eagle 330RSTS
2014 Ram 3500

herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
newbold1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Joelton, TN
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowclic View Post
We just bought our 2015 28BHS this weekend!!! (previous was a 2012 Trail Runner 25SLE)

I did the same kind of shelving in our previous trailer with the trim pieces that canuckowner is mentioning. I added some No More Nails adhesive to the strips and used a small brad nailer to keep them solidly in place. It worked great.

Now I'm thinking of how to make it better in the new trailer. I like the idea of the shelf on legs - makes it less permanent if I want to make a change. Maybe a couple of them stacked on top of each other would work?!?

Seeing that the trailer is gone to storage for the winter I have a few months to come up with my next brilliant plan.

If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them!!

The legs made the shelf super strong and I didn't have to use glue or a lot of screws in the paneling. So it could be removed without leaving behind a bunch of damage inside the closet.
__________________

__________________
Joelton, TN
2013 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 Diesel 3.55 Long Bed
2013 Jayco White Hawk 30DSRE
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.