Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #1

Refrigerator not cooling mod

Did a search and gave up after 5 pages. I have a similar issue as most with the TT fridge not cooling well when temps climb into the 90s. After reading a few posts it appears the issue is mostly with side vent models. Looking at the design the factory cooling fan blows over the condenser lines hoping to draw outside air in to cool the condenser. The problem I see is that its blowing hot air from the propane exhaust. The way the vents are pointed downward it appears that there is no way for hot air from the flame to ever escape. Has any one added an additional fan? Maybe facing outward to suck the hot air out? Seems simple enough and could be spliced into the current fan. Wasnt sure how a fan blowing outward might effect the propane burning. Any ideas are welcome. I know these fridges aren't the most effective but my old TT with a chimney exhaust never had an issue. Funny thing is I had frozen meat in the freezer section and it stayed cold and frozen. The fridge is what got warm.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:18 AM   #2

Our Norcold came with two fans.
The physical install was incorrect as norcold wants a deflector above fridge to top of vent to route the hot air out from the cavity and the chimney. Fixed that. Insulated the area around fridge top and sides. Sealed so all warm air moves out the upper vent instead of beside and above fridge.
Added two additional fans to pull outside air into bottom. Connected to the same snap switch as factory fans. They all come on together.
I also added another fan inside the fridge that runs continuously to circulate the air in fridge. Now the fridge works to norcold specs even on 90* plus days. 20*F in freezer and 38-40F in fridge.
You can help the fridge and freezer by putting an ice Pak in each. The ice Pak acts as a cold storage reserve. We do this on initial start up but leave in while using fridge and freezer

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #3

Having the fans up high should have zero affect on the flame. I the air currents are great near the fan. So down low were the flame is at, you should not have an issue. Plus there is a baffle to protect the flame. Any added air current will still be less than when driving with the frig turned on

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #4

I have a 17RB Hummingbird with about the same problem. After trying about everything I looked at the Installer Instructions and found that there was to much dead air space on both sides of the cooling unit as well as over the top. The upper vent just wasn't able to do it's job with extra space above it. I installed some 3\4" rigid foam with foil up the sides and a piece at an angle at the top to help push the heated air toward the vent. That improved the air flow dramatically. I know use the fan only in if I park with the refer facing the hot sun and want an extra assist. Hope that makes sense, if you have questions let me know.
gware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #5

Thanks. After some digging around on you tube I was able to find this:
https://youtu.be/0wVTP89-Btg

Got the fans on order now.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #6

Followed the video and ordered the fans. Had to do some mods as they were bigger than I imagined. It worked out. Had to reposition some of the screws to make them fit. I'd recommend smaller than a 200mm fan. Works great though.
Attached Thumbnails
20200715_185114.jpg   20200715_185059.jpg  
Old 07-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #7

I installed the Titan 140mm fans and controller. The jury is still out. With the fridge set on the coldest 120v setting and the fans on full speed, the best I can do in Louisiana's 95° heat is about 41° inside the fridge. It'll get down to about 38° overnight. They're pretty useless while moving because I can't keep the propane lit on the fridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_154719.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	61321

I do expect them to greatly facilitate cooling while I'm stopped and on propane. I just need more boondocking opportunities to see how they perform.

I'm also going to add the little Camco refrigerator fan and see if that'll help.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post874181
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I installed the Titan 140mm fans and controller. The jury is still out. With the fridge set on the coldest 120v setting and the fans on full speed, the best I can do in Louisiana's 95° heat is about 41° inside the fridge. It'll get down to about 38° overnight. They're pretty useless while moving because I can't keep the propane lit on the fridge.

I'm going to add the little Camco refrigerator fan and see if that'll help.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post874181
Had mine back to dealer for not staying lite going down the road
They added a bit of aluminum tape around the exhaust stack seam. Fixed it

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 07-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Had mine back to dealer for not staying lite going down the road
They added a bit of aluminum tape around the exhaust stack seam. Fixed it
Oh, that's genius. I had thought about fashioning some more tin to block potential wind but aluminum tape would be perfecto.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Oh, that's genius. I had thought about fashioning some more tin to block potential wind but aluminum tape would be perfecto.
You might want to try the computer fan inside the fridge the way I did. Those camco fridge fans don't move much air. 12 volt computer fan hooked to door pin 12 volt only on when fridge is on and door closed.

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
Old 07-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
You might want to try the computer fan inside the fridge the way I did.
Linky to thread?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Linky to thread?
Read post #2
I did a bunch of stuff
Our fridge is the norcold 1200 series. Top pin pad on left door is 12 volts. Used white electrical tape and just bared end of wire on the pad and taped down. I believe that pin is for the heater in the bar between the doors. Grounded the fan to one of the 4 alligator clips holding it to the fins in back.
If I try going up on the control over 4 it freezes stuff in the fridge.
Design spec is freezer 20 *F. Ours is consistent at that temp now.
The mountains be blue on the Colorado koolaid in fridge.
So computer fan in fridge, added two more blowing up from bottom at back and added insulation above and beside fridge. Sealed up the rear space so the heat has to go out the vent. NOT between fridge and slide roof and all along left side.. And made sure the wood deflector from top of rear of fridge was tipped to top of top vent.
Now it works properly in hot weather.

RoadrunnerII

2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider