Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2023, 03:10 PM   #1

Wifi

Hi I have a white hawk 27rb does anyone have problem with the Wi-Fi I need advice to make it stronger. Thank you.
Atap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:44 PM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atap65 View Post
Hi I have a white hawk 27rb does anyone have problem with the Wi-Fi I need advice to make it stronger. Thank you.

Try the search feature at the top of the page. That will turn up many threads on the topic. We had several going in the last few weeks. It is a very very common topic here and to be honest if you are expecting camp ground wifi to be anything but weak sorry, won't happen. I solved the problem with Starlink but there are other options just search and read.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...er-103479.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Unless you need dependable wifi enough to justify a $600. equipment fee and $150 a month or more for the unlimited data (Starlink), there is not a real way to make it much better. We stay in one cg for 3 months of the year and the site and the # of rigs connected to the park signal make it very iffy at times. Even the location of the site we are on affects the signal strength.

We use the hotspot option on our cell phones when that happens.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 05:51 AM   #4

Thank you
Atap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 06:23 AM   #5

What norty1 said. We use the 4g just as much
Old 10-29-2023, 06:54 AM   #6
Site Team

I read an article a few days ago that stated that the new 5g signals are less dependable than 4g which is still what we get the majority of times.

I could not understand all the technology but basically the 5g signal is weaker and requires closer towers. Way beyond my pay grade!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I could not understand all the technology but basically the 5g signal is weaker and requires closer towers. Way beyond my pay grade!

Like a lot of things in life, this one too is a bit of a zero-sum game. To get more bandwidth and up the speeds from 4G to "real" 5G, there were some trade-offs. In the start, I recall reading that the intent was to put 5G "mini-towers/base stations" all over a city, for example. Like one on a streetlamp.

I'm not sure "weaker" is the right term. I think it's more of a fact that they upped the bands to > 6GHz. That frequency has a harder time penetrating walls than the 4G spectrum which was much lower/longer. Less than 2.5GHz IIRC.
Old 10-29-2023, 01:16 PM   #8

If you camp where there is good cell service than T-Mobile and some others offer a wifi system. I know and use T-mobile at home for this. Flat $50 a month, no contract and the device is an all-in-one. It converts cell service into wifi with no additional equipment. About the size on an old large coffee can.

if you have T-mobile as your phone you can upgrade to Magenta plus and get 50 gigs a month as a phone hot spot included on the over 55 plan for $90 a month including two phones and Netflix.

Customer service seems better than some others I have used!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:21 PM   #9

I had a Nighthawk M1. If it has the 2 TS9 antenna ports on it like the M1, you can do this without spending a ton of money; put 2 exterior MiMo antennas on your roof. I found the best place was to mount them to the refrigerator roof exhaust vent, and use that chase area to run the wires inside your RV. That’s what I did.

The Nighthawk M1 has 4 internal antennas, if yours does too, depending on the position of your device, it may actually be stronger than the exterior antennas, you need to run speed test 3Xs for each.

There is a hack and a kit to create 2 more TS9 connectors to connect it to 4 external antennas.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18365118771...mis&media=COPY
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:05 PM   #10

Use your phone for a hot spot.

2019 Keystone Laredo fifth wheel
(But looking at Class Cs)
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Use your phone for a hot spot.

Read some of the other threads on wifi.

This suggestion works well, until your carrier throttles your data feed, usually somewhere around 10Gig. That is about 3-5 nights of watching movies/or TV. Even with "unlimited" data, which really with most carriers is not "unlimited" there is a point where they cut your usage because you are limiting other users (if everyone was doing this at the same time).

As long as you are using your phone, alone with these plans you are unlimited, mine is, but when you open your "personal hot spot" and begin streaming another item (TV) you fall into that "limited, and throttled" realm.

I have one of the best Verizon business plans going and there are still limits to the data you can use before getting cut down. Each phone is a separate unit so you can hot spot about 10 gig with each and same with Ipads but then it gets very difficult to download the WSJ or local paper in the morning with coffee because it is moving very slowly.

And, of course someone will jump in here and tell us they have the best plan in the world and unlimited data till the cows come home. If that is true, go for it, but read the fine print and check with the carrier before you jump.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:35 PM   #12

I use a TravelFi Journey 1 cellular E-Sim
Device, (picks the best service of all the major carriers), $169. For the device It’s been working. I only need 100GB/$89 a month, haven’t gotten throttled, as it’s supposed to be unthrottled, so that’s what I purchase. And you can pause, add more GB, start service at anytime. We’re not full time anymore so it works for us! It’s an OK device. I’ve had it for 2 months, it’s worked when my ATT service didn’t! You just don’t want to be underway with it on, because of the E-Sim technology, service will be locked into the first one you booted up with, however, you can pick a carrier and stay locked into it, but that defeats the purpose of having an E-Sim device.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Read some of the other threads on wifi.

This suggestion works well, until your carrier throttles your data feed, usually somewhere around 10Gig. That is about 3-5 nights of watching movies/or TV. Even with "unlimited" data, which really with most carriers is not "unlimited" there is a point where they cut your usage because you are limiting other users (if everyone was doing this at the same time).

And, of course someone will jump in here and tell us they have the best plan in the world and unlimited data till the cows come home. If that is true, go for it, but read the fine print and check with the carrier before you jump.
If AT&T has throttled my speed I've never noticed it and I will use 150 to 200 gigs a month when traveling. It is just an option.

2019 Keystone Laredo fifth wheel
(But looking at Class Cs)
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:56 PM   #14
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
If AT&T has throttled my speed I've never noticed it and I will use 150 to 200 gigs a month when traveling. It is just an option.

Pay more, get better service. My solution was Starlink.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...xpensive-plan/

Tags
atap65