Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #1

174BH Baja Stabilizer Bolt Size / frame question

Anyone know the bolt size for the stabilizers? I see when I was putting mine away, that one has rattled it's way out and is gone. Another is crossthreaded ().

Also, does anyone know if the frame is threaded or is there a bolt on the inside of the frame?

Just trying to figure out what all I need for repairs. Doesn't look like they put loctite on these things. Ugh.
OdiN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdiN1701 View Post
Anyone know the bolt size for the stabilizers? I see when I was putting mine away, that one has rattled it's way out and is gone. Another is crossthreaded ().

Also, does anyone know if the frame is threaded or is there a bolt on the inside of the frame?

Just trying to figure out what all I need for repairs. Doesn't look like they put loctite on these things. Ugh.
Our stab jacks have 3/8"x1 1/4" bolts with nuts on the top of the frame flange. Our frame holes are not threaded, just drilled. If you use Loctite, get the blue formula.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Our stab jacks have 3/8"x1 1/4" bolts with nuts on the top of the frame flange. Our frame holes are not threaded, just drilled. If you use Loctite, get the blue formula.
Are the bolts welded to the frame or captured? If not, this will be a huge pain.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Team

No they're not welded. Our frame members are the "I" beam type, so the bolts and nuts are exposed. If you have a closed box frame they're fastened to, they may have used self-tapping bolts, that cut their own threads into the steel.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

I have one missing on my 145RB not really sure what the solution with my boxed frame is going to be. It was stripped out at the factory
Old 09-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

If you can find a small local welding shop the can spot weld it on and never come off again for a few buck. Then go back and put on several coats of Rustoleum over the welds.

Just for fun I take a can and hit all the little rock knicks every year to prevent rust. Makes it look better and should help resale.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

If anyone else has this question, they are indeed 3/8 coarse thread, self-tapping bolts.

What a bunch of crap. The one that came out, the threads weren't ever cut right from the factory, nothing will screw back in. I replaced every other bolt with grade 8 and a washer/lock washer combo, plus loctite. They shouldn't ever come out and it's what they should have done at the factory (as well as tapping the hole, not use a self-tapping bolt). Grade 8 is obviously overkill, but the ones in there were already fairly rusted and it's barely 3 years old.

Now I have to figure out if I can tap the bad hole out with a larger size.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Another possibility is to use a RivNut (nutsert) in the bad hole. It may or may not require a smaller wire sized bolt, but would be a more permanent repair.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD