Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

195RB tank readings - question

We have a 195RB Baja, and at the end of our first trip, gray water was reading full, and fresh water was reading 1/3. I know these monitors are notoriously unreliable, but presumably they are working properly for the moment (and we will do what we reasonably can to keep them that way). What I am wondering is what these readings really mean. Specifically, I wonder where the sensors are located vertically in the tank, so for example how close to the top is the full sensor and how close to the bottom is the empty sensor (it's obvious that they are not at the very top and bottom; there is still water in there when it's registering empty and still some room when it registers full). Because of the design of this trailer, I can't visually inspect any of the tanks. So can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

there are probes installed on the tanks which do the reading of the fullness of the tanks. These are not always in the same exact spots. A common thing for grey and black tank is if it reads full when it is empty because anything in the tank that gets "stuck" over the probe will make it give an incorrect reading.
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Within the first 6 months both the freshwater tank sensors and the black water tank sensors went bad. Always said full. At about the 1 year mark the gray water tank sensors went bad. Tried all the YouTube suggestions, posts, but it was inevitable.... they stopped working again. As of 1 minute ago, not a single one even lights up any longer, not even the battery indicator, which was useless even when it was supposedly working.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

To me it sounds like a bad controller right now if it is not even reading battery level. If that doesn't work then it could be a bad pigtail behind the controller too?
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoChix89 View Post
To me it sounds like a bad controller right now if it is not even reading battery level. If that doesn't work then it could be a bad pigtail behind the controller too?
We have not looked at it in probably the last 2 or 3 years, until I got up from my laptop and pushed the buttons. I can tell how full the black tank is by listening to the water being flushed and hitting the water in the tank. Never go longer than a week anyway. As for the gray water tank, I drain that every night and mark it on the calendar (support for my brain cells). SOLAR cares for the batteries, SOLAR charge controller has all the battery info we need.

I may look into it next season, should I need a project.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #6

Thanks

Thank you all for your responses. I am familiar with the issues mentioned.

The question I have, however, is for a relatively exact location of the sensors on this model. Why? Because my sensors ARE working, but it's not clear exactly what they mean. For example, when the gray tank reads full, it is not quite full, but it would be good to know whether it's at 95 vs 99%. A response from anyone who knows would be great.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote