Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2023, 12:03 AM   #21

2.7l turbo gmc 1500 towing Jayco 171bh was 10-11mpg.
5.3l gmc Yukon towing flagstaff 21DS is 8-10mpg.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:35 PM   #22

2012 Yukon Denali with 6.2l pulling 2023 171bh, dash read average of about 8.5mpg on last trip. Empty fresh/grey/black tanks.
ddtforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:42 PM   #23

2017 F-150, 3.5L V6 turbo, 10-speed, 4WD. Not towing, we average 22 MPG. On our 14,000-mile Alaska Highway journey last year towing our Jayco 195RB (about 4,000 pounds loaded), our whole-trip average (maybe 10 percent without the trailer attached) was 14 MPG. We typically drove 55 MPH and only rarely hit 65.
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:11 PM   #24

Mpg

2018 Silverado Z71 Redline Edition 5.3L averaged 9 mpg on interstate 70mph
2 lanes at 60mph 12mpg. Some head/cross wind on the interstate run.
CAG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 04:55 AM   #25

With the 3.5 eco boost, 3.55. rear end, 4 WD pulling 6500 averaging 60 to 62, 9 mpg overall. But I don't look at the mileage as much as I am more than happy to have my own rolling porty potty, my rolling food cart and most of all the same smell of bed sheets each at every stop along the way each day.

While its nice to have what is considered decent fuel mileage, its nice to be able to pull up inclines without straining the engine and having it drop down to 3,000 rpm and higher like my 5.0 with a 3.73 rear axle to make the climbs over the Rockies in particular.

As the old saying goes in boats, if you got to ask how much it costs, then you probably should not buy it or own it. For the average pleasure user with any sticks and staples rv, these are nothing but money pits and a declining asset anyway.

Keep in mind that there is a difference in comparing to compare a seven or seven and a half foot wide unit to an eight foot unit when it comes to wind resistance. So when having identical tow vehicles, its not always going to be the same.

One thing that I did notice, owning a metal sided TT versus a smooth sided TT of similar sizes, there was a decrease in mileage a wee bit when comparing apples to apples and highway speeds from the smooth sided one.

We are in the camp or after the travel bills are paid, its rare that receipts are ever saved. We literally hate motels and dragging our clothes in and out of our vehicles. And worse yet eating out several meals a day, quality of food wise and the cost is the worse of the worse for us.

So we justify the costs of travel and don't need to stay at any of the rv resorts. We are set up for completely off the grid for the most remote areas. This act of throwing money into a black hole is still a win for us, mentally, body wise and wallet wise throughout 30 years of doing this stuff.
Old 11-07-2023, 11:07 AM   #26

If seen so many of these "What's your milage" posts. From reading them over the years, the range seems to be, no matter what you are towing or what you are towing with, is around 8-12 MPG. Some may get slightly better, some slightly worse depending on weather, speed, wind, terrain, etc. As mentioned, frontal area is a huge factor in this. I'm sure people pulling teardrops are seeing better mileage.

My personal experience has been moving up from a pop-up to our current trailer. We had a Ford Explorer with the pop-up and I never really cared about the mileage. The TV pulled the trailer, and I could watch the gauge knowing that when I saw that I needed gas, I could generally find something in the next hour or so. The Explorer had an 18 gallon gas tank, so when we got the TT, all of a sudden I needed to pay attention to routes. This was because at 8 MPG (let's say worst case), that's 144 miles, or just over 2 hours driving at 60MPH. Some stretches of back highways, there may or may not be a suitable location to fill up, so that was a pain to plan trips. We now have the F150, and although the mileage is pretty much the same pulling the TT, with the 36 gallon tank, trip planning became way easier, plus it is just a more comfortable drive.

Anyways, I found that pulling the trailer with either the Explorer or the F150 resulted in pretty much the same mileage. It's comfort and convenience. If the TV is paid for, and it feels good (the F250 was my first choice, but it didn't fit in the driveway with the other vehicles).

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:33 AM   #27

212 qb
GMC Canyon
12 mpg but where we go fuel stations can be as much as 400 miles apart so we have to plan
We use 11 mpg to figure out auxiliary fuel needed in Labrador and Quebec
Most travel in two lane mountain or very hilly road so its rare to be at or above 65 on an interstate

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote