Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #1

Cargo Weight Is Max Really The Max

We just purchased a new 2020 Jay Feather 22RB. Is the 6500 gross weight limit really the limit? Or is it like manufacture dates like best by ...

Here is why I ask.

When I looked at the specs online before we decided on the 22RB, it said the empty weight was 5500 pounds and that the maximum weight with cargo was 6500. I thought 1,000 pounds was sufficient for water and cargo.

We got a couple of options (L Lounger, two 30 lb propane tanks and Moride steps). I dont know if it was the options but when we got our TT that yellow sticker said the empty weight was 5900 +. That leaves less than 600 pounds for cargo.

We wanted to do an occasional boondock but with that limit, our 42 gallon fresh water tank would use up 340 pounds leaving a little over 200 for all other gear.

Are we stuck?

If that is the max, the only option we would have is to pack the F150 up with all other gear.

Thanks
Jeff53024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:31 PM   #2

Yep, that’s the max ! Axles, tires, wheels, etc. The whole system of your trailer, the sum of its parts, has a max load carrying capacity of 6500 pounds.

Many of us have ended up in your conundrum. That doesn’t solve your problem, but you are in good company. Myself included (my first trailer).

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #3

Keep in mind the tongue weight also takes away from the payload capacity of your truck. So moving stuff to the truck may technically gain CCC on the camper but max out payload capacity of the truck. Six of one half dozen of the other...

Now are these numbers you’re quoting from a sticker or actual weights because you pulled on a scale??? Find a CAT scale, moving company, landscaping company that has a scale. Weigh the truck full tank and determine its actual weight. Then weigh the camper empty BEFORE you put anything in it. Now you have some concrete numbers and can determine if your truly at max limits. When you have everything loaded, aka actually leaving to go camping ready...go weigh it again. A CAT scale will give you individual axle weights that you can subtract the empty weights from giving you the cargo weights. If using a straight scale, weigh everything hooked up, then just the jack on the scale, then just the axle on the scale. Yes, it’s a PITA but it’s going to give you real numbers... Hope this helps...
Old 06-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff53024 View Post
We just purchased a new 2020 Jay Feather 22RB. Is the 6500 gross weight limit really the limit? Or is it like manufacture dates like best by ...

Here is why I ask.

When I looked at the specs online before we decided on the 22RB, it said the empty weight was 5500 pounds and that the maximum weight with cargo was 6500. I thought 1,000 pounds was sufficient for water and cargo.

We got a couple of options (L Lounger, two 30 lb propane tanks and Moride steps). I dont know if it was the options but when we got our TT that yellow sticker said the empty weight was 5900 +. That leaves less than 600 pounds for cargo.

We wanted to do an occasional boondock but with that limit, our 42 gallon fresh water tank would use up 340 pounds leaving a little over 200 for all other gear.

Are we stuck?

If that is the max, the only option we would have is to pack the F150 up with all other gear.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Yep, that’s the max ! Axles, tires, wheels, etc. The whole system of your trailer, the sum of its parts, has a max load carrying capacity of 6500 pounds.

Many of us have ended up in your conundrum. That doesn’t solve your problem, but you are in good company. Myself included (my first trailer).
Yep.... AND, unfortunately, if you look at the weight allowed per axel, it isn't going to be too far off what the trailer gross weight is. Those axels that the manufacturer puts on these trailers are just barely enough for the trailer gross weight!

FOR EXAMPLE.....
My 28BHBE Gross allowed weight is 9200 lbs.
Each axel GAWR is 4400
That means both my axels are rated for 8800 pounds.
I have a tongue weight of 1000 pounds so my actual weight on the axels is 8200 pounds assuming my trailer is at gross weight of 9200 pounds. ( I don't fill it that heavy and an usually about 8025 pounds) Unless I am boondocking and fill my 88 gallon water tank.

Hope this helps.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #5

And if you overload either the truck and trailer and have an accident, event if weight had nothing to do with it, you will get a ticket and maybe a lawsuit. Don’t go over that limit. It’s not safe for you or anyone else on the road.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #6

Oof. Yeah. All the options eat up the weight. My Baja's only option I think was the comforter and shams. I didn't weigh it empty as that didn't matter. I need to weigh again.

GVWR: 3750 / Scaled at 3760 (scale resolution is 20#)
Coupler rating: 700 / Scaled (calculated) 700. 30 gallons fresh under the bed at the front plus a pair of GC2 batteries ate it up.
I'm way under on the 3500 lb axle.
brwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:51 AM   #7

This is the reason so many of us hate the listing of the "dry weight". It's a fictional number that too many new buyers look at. Worse the sales people use that number to justify saying anything under the sun can tow that trailer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jay feather 22rb