Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

From Teardrop to HB17FD! Ongoing Assistance Is Appreciated!

We took delivery of a gently used (if at all) 2017 Hummingbird 17FD from Camping World in Mesa, AZ on Friday!

Loaded up and hit the road for a short weekend shakedown cruise to Fool Hollow Lake in Show Low to learn how the heck a "real" travel trailer works.

We loved the teardrop, but our 50+ year old bodies are done contorting into it, and living without a toidy, shower, and adult sized bed!

I'm hoping I can learn a lot from the experienced folks here and not be too big a burden by using this thread for advice and assistance.

Some (most) of my queries could be answered myself if I could park the trailer at my house, but have to leave it in storage under a soft cover when we're not camping so access to pull this apart, and measure that thing is a little trickier than normal.

During the shakedown the following was noted:

1] Need new exterior 5-1/4" round speakers as the originals are blown. Any ideas if Jayco uses "regular" depth speakers (2" - 2.5") or some special shallow depth model?

2] I probably did the first damage to it by draining the freshwater system without turning off the hot water heater, so it was on probably 5 minutes with all "low point" valves open before I realized it.

Any odds on if I did or not? Couldn't fill and test when we got home due to schedule issues so won't know until the next trip. What part(s) normally fails when a dunce like myself does this?

3] Any tricks to keeping the rear bumper end caps on while driving? Both of mine keep jiggling loose (caught them before they disappeared on the highway and put a ratchet strap around them to secure them for now)

4] In Arizona I see a cover as a must if I expect to keep this for a while, but our first attempt to put it on took 30 minutes, two ladders, and a lot of cursing the TV antenna on top.

I need that antenna like a hole in the head, any ideas on losing it with minimal trauma to the roof? Short of a sawzall to hack off the most of it and a cover of EternaBond - I'm not sure what options are out there.

YouTube has been super helpful with a lot of ownership. First waste dump went without a hitch, as did most everything else. Now it's just getting out as often as possible and living it up.

Thanks!

Shootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #2

Congratulations. We have a 17RB. I completely re did the entire stereo in mine after only owning for a couple weeks.

For some reason the app won’t allow me to post photos

Here is a YouTube link to my upgraded sound system. I will try adding some photos.

https://youtu.be/dJpyabjOjOQ
Chickeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

Trying to upload the pics
Attached Thumbnails
1D08A52C-BCFB-4B7E-A334-93EBD214ECD9.jpg   A9C77F82-4042-4E1D-88E8-91FA907717A7.jpg   9F37DF1F-14C1-47C2-83B9-E194ECCEC670.jpg   D06A516B-BF94-407B-BC2E-880CEFF2E48E.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #4

As one who moved from a Teardrop to Hummingbird, 17RK last year - Welcome.

We took ours from Nova Scotia, Key West and Yellowstone before opting for standing headroom and indoor plumbing.

On the bumper caps I ended up drilling a 1/4 inch hole through the bumper and caps, use a long drill and go through top and bottom. Then I dropped a long #10 machine screw through the hole as a pin.

The cover is a PITA and my wife and I do the same. Ladders and always pull it from front to rear. Once it is over the TV antenna it becomes relatively easy. Make sure the "aluminum blade" is pointing to the rear. The knob for rotating it shows a travel position which is where you want it.

Also if you Facebook, there is a Jayco Hummingbird group with about 500 members.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

I wouldn't worry about that antenna, just leave it be. You don't wanna open another can of worms. Replace the end caps, they're cheap. Covering it is absolutely your perogative but, I don't think it's necessary. Dealers don't cover them on the lot, right?
Good luck and welcome to JOF!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
As one who moved from a Teardrop to Hummingbird, 17RK last year -

Also if you Facebook, there is a Jayco Hummingbird group with about 500 members. Lots of good discussion there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1371620229517020/

I didn’t even know about the FB page. I just sent my request
Old 06-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #7

I just found it last week. Great source of info for mods!
RufusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your 2017 Hummingbird 17FD!
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #9

We bought after market bumper end caps. they clip onto the trailer and have a chain that keeps them attached to the frame even if they wiggle loose. Amazon has them. Husband said they were less than 20 dollars for the pair. Camping world had them too.
Angeleyes0001a is offline   Reply With Quote