Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2023, 11:23 AM   #1

Jay Feather Micro Warranty Warning

Fellow micro owners. Specifically those who have a Propane/AC refrigerator. Check and check often the upper mounting screws. Originally I had those both fall out. I quickly glued them in and they have stayed in for about 30k miles of on and dirt road towing. My main 2yr warranty just expired in September and a few days after we had a planned trip. I was doing the normal check over and happened to notice that the fridge was just slightly out (1/8 of an inch) on the top section. To note the bottom section is still in and solid. When I pushed it moved a little and when I opened the freezer door to look if I was missing screws this is what I found.

I was told by Jayco that this is not covered since I was only a few days out of warranty. I had cancelled our extended warranty as that was just a joke anyway and now I question Jayco's! After working with their parts department I was told that for this fridge that part is not replaceable and this the whole fridge has to be replaced.

Wanted to share for others to know about something else to watch for.

At least now I might get a larger 12v fridge as I honestly have hated this fridge as it just does not perform in the AZ heat!

I might try drilling some holes in the center section and put screws in there but not sure if that is viable or not. Has anyone else had to do this or run across this poor design issue?

Broken mounts:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1639.jpg   IMG_1641.jpg  
Old 10-21-2023, 10:03 AM   #2

Have a 12V (which are immune from coming loose) so I don't have an attachment point like that, but looking at the photos I don't see why you couldn't put a couple of holes, one above and one below, then screw those in. Possibly slide an appropriate shim in to keep from deforming the metal.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #3

Which model of 12v are they putting in? I think its the 8 cubic foot size? Also does it allow for the drawer to still be below the fridge?

As for the mounts, for now that is what I think I will do.

The crazy thing is that even with an extended warranty I will still be well under the cost of that with the replacement of the fridge... I am still glad I cancelled that and got my money back! While its a pain to replace its still easier and quicker to replace the fridge on my own than waiting months without use of my trailer for any dealer to do it. I also will know its mounted and setup correctly!
Old 10-21-2023, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
After working with their parts department I was told that for this fridge that part is not replaceable and this the whole fridge has to be replaced.
You have to remember Jayco did not make the fridge or design how it mounts. Did you contact the fridge manufacturer when it first happened, as they would be the ones covering the warranty?
Old 10-21-2023, 11:01 AM   #5

I haven't I looked on the Dometic website and it said to go through your mfg if it was installed new in the RV. Also it looks like through them the warranty is only 1yr. But I will for sure try and contact them to see what they say.
Old 10-21-2023, 11:07 AM   #6

My 2022 has the Furrion 12V. Looking at a few pictures of a 2024 I think they may have changed models, but I don't know to what.

I have the drawer under mine. Later units do not have that drawer. I wondered why until I saw a photo with the panel in that location removed - In the center is a vertical support piece for the bottom of the refrigerator.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 09:21 AM   #7

Hello, I’m new to Jayco 171bh, but 50 yrs rv life. Thanks for the heads up on the domestic fridge! I appreciate the real life info y’all have been posting very much! Very helpful before purchasing my used Jayco. Looking forward to the journey. Thank you.
RonCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCA View Post
Hello, I’m new to Jayco 171bh, but 50 yrs rv life. Thanks for the heads up on the domestic fridge! I appreciate the real life info y’all have been posting very much! Very helpful before purchasing my used Jayco. Looking forward to the journey. Thank you.
Welcome from Northern California!!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote