Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
RFW

New owner of a 174 BH

We just bought a 174 BH with Fiberglass exterior yesterday. We really like it and are excited to use it. I'd like to hear from other 174 BH owners and hear your experience with this camper both good and bad so I can prepare myself for those issues. Thank you in advance.
RFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW View Post
We just bought a 174 BH with Fiberglass exterior yesterday. We really like it and are excited to use it. I'd like to hear from other 174 BH owners and hear your experience with this camper both good and bad so I can prepare myself for those issues. Thank you in advance.
Hey, I just got the same thing. How's it going for you. What you towing it with and all these other issues.

Not getting mine for a few weeks, not sure if I will need a sway controller, I was told by my dealer that a WDH might not be required, try it first without was his advice. Never mentioned a sway bar, what are you doing about this?
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #3

I got mine last May, with the metal exterior. We love it so far, sleeps a family of 4 comfortably. No issues at the moment. I did install a couple of stabilizers in the front which made it a lot more solid. The bunks tend to get a little warm, especially the bottom one being over the water heater so a couple small battery powered fans would be a good investment. Getting it de-winterized next week and looking forward to bringing it out again!
S.Fleckio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Fleckio View Post
I got mine last May, with the metal exterior. We love it so far, sleeps a family of 4 comfortably. No issues at the moment. I did install a couple of stabilizers in the front which made it a lot more solid. The bunks tend to get a little warm, especially the bottom one being over the water heater so a couple small battery powered fans would be a good investment. Getting it de-winterized next week and looking forward to bringing it out again!
Thanks for the advice on the water heater, mine is for me and my son, he's 6ft tall, has autism so will be with me for a while. He wants the bed, and I might get the bunk, that's OK though I'm a transport driver and my truck's bunk is about the same size, Just more open on top. I might remove the top bunk for more headspace, see how it goes.

Maybe turn the water heater off in the evening? Don't plan to shower in the trailer, we go swimming every day. If it's too hot I will just leave it off and use a stove to heat water for dishes. The window on the bottom bunk can be opened right, I guess there is no bug screen being the emergency exit. Spend most of our time around the campsite, the trailer is just a great place to sleep, stay dry, and eat on rainy days.

Anyway in Canada the nights get rather cool in August, that's when we go for 3 weeks.

Looking forward to picking it up in early April, I will use it for guests at home, and for the odd long weekend camping excursions.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #5

It wasn't unbearable with the water heater, but definitely would want a small fan if its hot outside. The air circulation doesn't make its way to the bunk areas very well even with the AC on.
S.Fleckio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #6

174 Projects

Must Do Upgrades...
1. Queen mattress pad (stock mattress was terrible)
2. Add MaxAir Fans and Vent Covers
3. Add bunk privacy curtains
4. Wall mounted 19" TV
5. Oxygenics shower head

A bunch of other small quality of life things seen here...
Youngstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #7

we just got our 174bh, had a issue with the remote for the radio. doesn't work. Also can anyone tell me fi my 2018 hyundai santa fe sport turbo is ok to tow it?
Marybeth 2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #8

No.
You will kill your car. Its rated to tow 1640 lbs. The engine and tranny will overwork and possibly wear out when you don't want it to.

Hopefully you have another tow vehicle.

The payload in yourvehicle is under 1300 lbs. 450 or so of that is taken by the hitch weight. I assume you have kids so with kids fuel and cargo you have some 850 lbs left.

Radio remote needs batteries and perhaps its not on the right frequency.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marybeth 2021 View Post
we just got our 174bh, had a issue with the remote for the radio. doesn't work. Also can anyone tell me fi my 2018 hyundai santa fe sport turbo is ok to tow it?
I found this on your car,

How Much Can a Hyundai Santa Fe Tow?
The 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe can tow up to 3,500 pounds on its top 2.5L Turbo engine when equipped with trailer brakes.

Well, it depends on what your setup is and how it's equipped for towing. Does it have a tow package that came with the car? you need to find out what it's rated for as configured.

The 174 if not overloaded would be OK perhaps, it weighs about that.

I have had my trailer for a month now, everything works have a solar panel which is great, and I cut 1/2 the top bunk out, that worked very well! Let's more light in now, and I can sit up in bed, great. Also, like the rather big window in the bunk area that does open and has a bug screen. Loving this little trailer more and more. I Will post pics of the modified bunk area when I get home this weekend.

Never got a remote for my radio, nor an owner's manual, need to get it online. Will have to ask my dealer about the remote? Was not very impressed with my initial orientation, although I know a fair bit it was very lacking, to say the least.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #10

Question:
What is the towing capacity of a 2014 Hyundai Santa fe

asked by: John

Expert Reply:
The towing capacity of the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe varies depending on the specific engine and transmission in the car and on whether or not the trailer has brakes. Minimum capacity is 1653-lbs for trailers without brakes and the maximum for the manual transmission towing a trailer with brakes is 5512-lbs.

Page 5-98 of the online owner's manual indicates this in a chart that I linked for you.

If you need a hitch you can use # 75776 if you have the GLS or Limited model, or # 75772 if you have the Sport. For wiring use # 118269 if the car has the tow package or # C56184 for the Sport, GLS and Limited without factory tow package.

Please refer to the linked articles for additional help with hitch installation and towing.

So you see it depends?
Old 05-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #11

The OP states a 2018 Santa Fe. but did nit specify engine
Personally I wouldnt tow that heavy a trailer
We had a more powerful truck and a slightly lighter traiker thst went 120 k miles but any heavier and the truck woukd have suffered
Most important are the brakes. Cam your tow vehicle stop suddenly with a trailer?
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
She might be OK because it's the sport turbo motor, but she will need to check her owner's manual as a good starting point. Anyway, they can tow 5000lbs when equipped right.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #13

Just ordered my new 174 BH Baja, waiting for it to come in from Idaho. My second Jayco lightweight. Looking forward to it. Cheers.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #14

Hey, if your back for more that's a good thing right. Going to post some pictures of my modified bunk area this weekend. We were going to go camping for the long weekend here in Canada, but all the campgrounds in Ontario remained closed for now. Covid blues....
Old 06-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
I towed this trailer with a 2016 KIA Sorento SX Turbo (2.0L turbo engine). I had a 2013 Santa Fe Sport Limited (also 2.0L turbo) before that. You said 2018 Santa Fe Sport Turbo so I assume you have the same 2.0L turbo that I had in both the vehicles I just mentioned.

With that engine the max tow was 3500 lbs with max 350 lbs tongue weight. It's very easy to go over those numbers, especially the tongue weight, with the 174BH.

If you have the V6 engine then the rating goes up to 5000 lbs but depending on your specific vehicle the owner's manual may still say only 350 lbs tongue weight (some have said 500 lbs but it changed over the years).

Anyway my experience towing the 174BH with the SUV despite the limits, is that the rear suspension sags too much, and the towing combination is not comfortable at all. I wouldn't suggest doing it. The engine is more than enough, but the suspension isn't cut out for it.

I traded into a 2019 Ford Ranger with 7500 lbs max tow and 750 lbs max tongue. Much better. Plus an Andersen WD hitch made it even better. However you have to be careful with that as well - the 3" frame of the 174BH can bend from the forces applied by a WD hitch.
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote