Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
There are stark differences in how and why US manufacturers calculate things like towing capacity, tongue weight, etc. vs. how it's done in Europe. Moreover very good reasons they are different.

This is a great read and very educational.
Interesting article, for sure.

Here's another for those 4 cylinder folks:

https://rvlifemag.com/4-cylinder-tow...le-comparison/
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiguan Tow r View Post
Tow rating for Tiguan is 2200 lbs, and 4500 lbs in Europe. We adopted and took direction from Can Am RV who are recognized (by some) as experts in this field.

The stabilizing system is a VW electronic control module that informs the car's stability control and ABS of the trailer attached Factory trailer wiring interface will give you the ESP/ABS integration with the trailer. The Tiguan will know the trailer is there and change how it controls its own brakes, NOT that will do anything different with the trailer brakes. It will also advise if trailer lights are out/not working. Audi has the same accessory and I believe BMW as well.
Thanks, i didn't know the VW has good towing package. Nice to have it.
locbaohoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #43

OP, have you found and bought one yet? There is a "right answer" to what you can tow with your RX, but it's complicated:
1) confirm you have the tow package. You will also need a brake controller.
2) find GCWR or GCVWR in your owners manual.
3) calculate GCWR - (curb weight + weight of family + weight of gear) = X where X is the allowable weight of trailer
4) when you shop for trailers, don't even look at empty weight or curb weight or dry weight... actual trailer weight will end up between dry weight and GVWR. Once you find one that is under X, then you can...
5) properly load the RX, properly load the TT and properly hitch them together with a WDH and sway control.

The actual answer is:
Since you've never towed before, you may not know what any of the above means. That's not good, especially when towing a TT as your first attempt at camping. TTs are large, heavy, tow like parachutes, sway in the wind... and once you get to the campground, maneuvering around driveways and backing into a site may be the hardest part.

I tow a TT with an Odyssey - another vehicle capable but not really designed for it. I have a transmission cooler and brake controller. We have a WDH and sway control. I'm only comfortable doing that after years of driving box trucks and towing PUPs. I've been to a CAT scale and verified my loaded weight is just about (slightly above) my GCWR. I stick to 60mph. It works, but it doesn't feel great.

Right now, you may be contemplating a dive into the deep end without learning how to swim. I would highly recommend starting with a Jay Series popup, Hummingbird, teardrop (like T@B), A-frame, Hi-Lo or TrailManor. You may have to sacrifice a little on the function and amenities, but it will be a much better and safer towing experience.

2020 Jayco 184BS
2016 Jayco 1207UD (Traded In)
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring (Tow Vehicle)
someguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy11 View Post
OP, have you found and bought one yet? There is a "right answer" to what you can tow with your RX, but it's complicated:
1) confirm you have the tow package. You will also need a brake controller.
2) find GCWR or GCVWR in your owners manual.
3) calculate GCWR - (curb weight + weight of family + weight of gear) = X where X is the allowable weight of trailer
4) when you shop for trailers, don't even look at empty weight or curb weight or dry weight... actual trailer weight will end up between dry weight and GVWR. Once you find one that is under X, then you can...
5) properly load the RX, properly load the TT and properly hitch them together with a WDH and sway control.

The actual answer is:
Since you've never towed before, you may not know what any of the above means. That's not good, especially when towing a TT as your first attempt at camping. TTs are large, heavy, tow like parachutes, sway in the wind... and once you get to the campground, maneuvering around driveways and backing into a site may be the hardest part.

I tow a TT with an Odyssey - another vehicle capable but not really designed for it. I have a transmission cooler and brake controller. We have a WDH and sway control. I'm only comfortable doing that after years of driving box trucks and towing PUPs. I've been to a CAT scale and verified my loaded weight is just about (slightly above) my GCWR. I stick to 60mph. It works, but it doesn't feel great.

Right now, you may be contemplating a dive into the deep end without learning how to swim. I would highly recommend starting with a Jay Series popup, Hummingbird, teardrop (like T@B), A-frame, Hi-Lo or TrailManor. You may have to sacrifice a little on the function and amenities, but it will be a much better and safer towing experience.
Thanks for your advice.
At the moment we will probably delay getting the trailer till next season due to un-expected budget issue. But i am still learning via internet sources as much as I can!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #45

Loc, sorry to hear your delay in getting a new camper. However this may be a blessing in turn at this point you may want to reevaluate your TV. I know you want to keep your present vehicle. Since you and I have a similar TV I will tell you that if I had to do it over I would get a 5000lbs a Honda Ridgeline or a Ford Ranger 7000lbs. While my Edge is towing the 145rb ok I will be honest and say that I feel that it is maxed out which is going to accelerate the wear and tear, our plan is to get a new truck in the next 2 years. I would encourage you to give some serious thought to a new TV I'm kicking it between a F150 or a Ford Ranger
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
Loc, sorry to hear your delay in getting a new camper. However this may be a blessing in turn at this point you may want to reevaluate your TV. I know you want to keep your present vehicle. Since you and I have a similar TV I will tell you that if I had to do it over I would get a 5000lbs a Honda Ridgeline or a Ford Ranger 7000lbs. While my Edge is towing the 145rb ok I will be honest and say that I feel that it is maxed out which is going to accelerate the wear and tear, our plan is to get a new truck in the next 2 years. I would encourage you to give some serious thought to a new TV I'm kicking it between a F150 or a Ford Ranger
Yes, that is also my thought about my TV. We probably plan to get a used truck in future (Tacoma) such that we would feel safer towing a TT.
Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #47

Tacoma is a great truck but they still have drum brakes on the back. Nissian Frontier while a good cheap truck is like the Tacoma a little long in the tooth its been a while since its last major upgrade. Honestly I would look at the Chevy Colorado or the Ford Ranger the Ranger should start hitting the used market sometime early next year. you can save big on a demonstrator or one that was driven off the lot and they didn't like it for whatever reason
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdon Journeys View Post
Tacoma is a great truck but they still have drum brakes on the back. Nissian Frontier while a good cheap truck is like the Tacoma a little long in the tooth its been a while since its last major upgrade. Honestly I would look at the Chevy Colorado or the Ford Ranger the Ranger should start hitting the used market sometime early next year. you can save big on a demonstrator or one that was driven off the lot and they didn't like it for whatever reason
Great info, i will be checking out the Ranger in detail, too. Thanks Debdon !!