Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I'm towing a Jay Feather 18RMB with a Toyota Tacoma and an Anderson WDH. Looks like you might be a fellow Californian, at any rate I've towed across Pacheco Pass, Highway 152, with the high wind warning sign on. lots of cross winds and have experienced no sway. Very pleased with my Anderson setup. I had the hitch installed by a shop that specializes in hitches and towing. Paid a bit more but since this was our first TT I thought it best to make sure it was done correctly.
Arizona here. Thank you for letting me know about the no swaying!
Desertpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
X2 on this. You Tahoe's manual should have something in the towing section explaining this. GM's spec is to adjust the WDH so that the front fenders are back to stock height.

Our previous hybrid was only a 3500# trailer but I still needed a WDH with a '95 'Burb. The trouble with the big GM SUVs is the coil spring suspension that is softer than the leafs used on PU trucks. Even a 400# tongue weight can take enough off the front end to make steering a scary experience.
Thank you for saying this. I could not figure out why my Avalanche "squatted" so much more than my Chevy 1500 truck, pulling the same camper. Had to really adjust WDH to level out the Avalanche. Is there something you can do/replace so the Avalanche won't squat so far?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Our dealer did the initial installation which got the trailer home. However, I was not happy with the way it pulled home and ended up re-doing it after learning some things about the 4-corner auto-leveling suspension on my truck that were causing the trailer to be nose high. It's pretty simple and straightforward to install, and after doing the initial wheel well measurements and confirming the proper return of weight to the front axle via the CAT scale hook up is a breeze. I just tighten the chains till the red urethane bushings have a certain amount of compression on them and I'm done.
I think we should load it up and get it to a cat scale then!
I had a salesman tell me yesterday (at rv show) that our TT is too light weight and can sway and bounce to easy that we should have bought a little heavier and a dual axle! Wonder if he is right?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertpull View Post
I think we should load it up and get it to a cat scale then!
I had a salesman tell me yesterday (at rv show) that our TT is too light weight and can sway and bounce to easy that we should have bought a little heavier and a dual axle! Wonder if he is right?
Of course he did! He wouldn't be much of a salesman had he not tried to upsell you...

When properly loaded and adjusted sway and bounce will not be an issue for you. Smaller units like this don't have a lot of cargo capacity. My CCC is only 735lbs and we use the majority of that. The recommended tongue weight should be 10-15% of loaded trailer weight. Assuming you use the majority of available cargo capacity as we do even at 10% you would be close to 375 on the tongue. I think 12-15% is a better range to shoot for along with a slight nose-down of the trailer.

On the 195RB most of the storage is in front of the axle or above it. When loading pay attention to how much is stored behind the axle as that will reduce the tongue weight. You also want to try and allow for redistribution of resources such as fresh water to the holding tanks, especially since your holding tanks are located behind the axle. Since the fresh water tank is all the way forward on the 195RB it can be used as an easy way to add some additional tongue weight if needed. We typically keep about 8-10 gals in the fresh water tank at all times.

I invested in a Sherline tongue scale so that I can easily weigh the tongue without having to go to the scale. You can also find instructions on how to make a simple tongue scale using a bathroom scale. Once I was satisfied I had a sufficient amount of tongue weight then I ran it over the scales to verify the weight distribution setup.

I did pull it one time without the weight distribution engaged and could tell that the steering was a bit lighter than with it engaged. So the weight distribution does make a difference even with the lighter trailers. My recommendation would be to use weight distribution with integrated sway control to provide the safest towing experience.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Of course he did! He wouldn't be much of a salesman had he not tried to upsell you...

When properly loaded and adjusted sway and bounce will not be an issue for you. Smaller units like this don't have a lot of cargo capacity. My CCC is only 735lbs and we use the majority of that. The recommended tongue weight should be 10-15% of loaded trailer weight. Assuming you use the majority of available cargo capacity as we do even at 10% you would be close to 375 on the tongue. I think 12-15% is a better range to shoot for along with a slight nose-down of the trailer.

On the 195RB most of the storage is in front of the axle or above it. When loading pay attention to how much is stored behind the axle as that will reduce the tongue weight. You also want to try and allow for redistribution of resources such as fresh water to the holding tanks, especially since your holding tanks are located behind the axle. Since the fresh water tank is all the way forward on the 195RB it can be used as an easy way to add some additional tongue weight if needed. We typically keep about 8-10 gals in the fresh water tank at all times.

I invested in a Sherline tongue scale so that I can easily weigh the tongue without having to go to the scale. You can also find instructions on how to make a simple tongue scale using a bathroom scale. Once I was satisfied I had a sufficient amount of tongue weight then I ran it over the scales to verify the weight distribution setup.

I did pull it one time without the weight distribution engaged and could tell that the steering was a bit lighter than with it engaged. So the weight distribution does make a difference even with the lighter trailers. My recommendation would be to use weight distribution with integrated sway control to provide the safest towing experience.
Thank you so much!