Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

Cool which one is best

I at present do not own a Jayco but am looking at 2. first is a 2017 new , leftover SLX265RLSW the second is a 2013 Jayco White Cloud 27DSRL. first one is on sale at 18,995. the second is 16,995. Anyone have any experience with either or have a recommendation.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

The best one is the one that fits your needs and budget.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Team

I would probably lean toward the 2017 simply due to the available warranty.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #4

both floorplans are similar. 2 rocker/recliner and rear living. The 2017 is stick and tin, the other is used but aluminum framed and fiberglass sides. either would be right for DW and me. budget about the same. couple thousand difference.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy View Post
I at present do not own a Jayco but am looking at 2. first is a 2017 new , leftover SLX265RLSW the second is a 2013 Jayco White Cloud 27DSRL. first one is on sale at 18,995. the second is 16,995. Anyone have any experience with either or have a recommendation.
I bet the 2013 can be had for $15k...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
The best one is the one that fits your needs and budget.

I agree............good advice
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #7

Keep in the back of your mind that the 2019 will be out in just a few short months. If you decide on a 2013 that will be 6 years old you would be over paying for that unit by thousands. If those are your choices go with the newer one or get them to take thousands off of the 2013.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Keep in the back of your mind that the 2019 will be out in just a few short months. If you decide on a 2013 that will be 6 years old you would be over paying for that unit by thousands. If those are your choices go with the newer one or get them to take thousands off of the 2013.
look up the NADA on the 2013.. don't put in things that come standard... that will give you a spread.. take the lowest number subtract 2K from that .. shoot for that price.. the 2017 hold over is risky lots of stuff wrong with these new trailers.. but under warrantee if you can stick it out to the following fall..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
the 2017 hold over is risky lots of stuff wrong with these new trailers..
I don't know that the quality has changed that much since 2013
Old 12-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #10

My 2017 has been great. For a few grand I’d get the new one...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #11

Nothing wrong with my 2017.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
PMC

I agree, the 17 looks about the same as the 27DSRL. We had our 27 DSRL for 3 years and had nothing major go wrong with it and took it all over the country. For two grand you get a 2 years warranty just in case something does go wrong. Thinking the 17 has the US made Goodyear tires too.

For me it'd be an easy decision but that's me.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #13

I am not big into buying brand new cars. But TTs, I prefer new. Two big reasons, these things are known to have water leak issues with time. What I have seen and heard over the years people tend not to do the annual maintenance, they find issues and get rid of it, then the new buyer runs into a lot of hidden headaches. For $2K, its a no brainier, get the newer unit, with full warranty. Tell the dealer because it is 1+ years old that they must go through and do a complete inspection and re-caulking. The other one if it has not started to it will be developing issues in the next couple of years. Also the value will drop dramatically.

My goal is to keep a car for 20 years, and campers for 10. I have never quite made it to ether goal but have been close.

Good luck, let us know what you choose.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #14

which one is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I am not big into buying brand new cars. But TTs, I prefer new. Two big reasons, these things are known to have water leak issues with time. What I have seen and heard over the years people tend not to do the annual maintenance, they find issues and get rid of it, then the new buyer runs into a lot of hidden headaches. For $2K, its a no brainier, get the newer unit, with full warranty. Tell the dealer because it is 1+ years old that they must go through and do a complete inspection and re-caulking. The other one if it has not started to it will be developing issues in the next couple of years. Also the value will drop dramatically.

My goal is to keep a car for 20 years, and campers for 10. I have never quite made it to ether goal but have been close.

Good luck, let us know what you choose.

Inspect the caulking definitely. Recaulking may not be necessary at this point depending on when it was built. A 2017 may have been built as recently at 6 months ago. My rig was built in 1/2016. As of this past October 2017 (20 month after manufacturer), the dicor sealant on the roof still looks good as new. I haven’t had to touch it yet. Same it true for the rest of the sealants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2017, 05:06 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
the 2017 hold over is risky lots of stuff wrong with these new trailers.. ???????

That statement makes no sense whatsoever!

You are looking at two totally different trailers, besides the floorplan. The Whitehawk is a more premier line of trailers by Jayco, built with aluminum frame and fiberglass exterior walls. It will have fancier wheels, fancier cabinets, fancier just about everything. The SLX on the other hand is a scaled down version of the Jayflight, scaled down meaning less bells and whistles. Yes, it is old school as far as wood and aluminum construction ..... which isn't a bad thing. Aluminum/wood has stood the test of time, is more forgiving for those who pass on maintaining the trailer. The fiberglass trailers aren't as forgiving (Delamination). As for the comment on 2017 having stuff wrong with them, i don't buy that for a minute. Yes, it does usually come down to price ..... but, if it's me, and i can do without some of the toys, i'm going Jayflight, because it's new. You are starting with a new one, you maintain it from day one, and it will serve you well for a long time. Also, one thing to remember ..... what year a used trailer is is second to the condition of the trailer. LIke a car, a trailer 2 or 3 years older, but maintained to the highest standard to me is worth more than something newer but used and abused.
BTW, was in a SLX265RSLW about a month ago ..... very nice trailer, same layout my Dad had about 6-7 years ago on his Eagle. The big window/recliners in the rear are a bonus. Good luck
Old 12-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #16
Site Team

You can't paint all new trailers with a broad brush.

Yes all new trailers have some problems. IMO, I would be more concerned about the condition of the previously owned one. A thorough inspection should give a savvy perspective owner an idea of how well it was taken care of.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
the 2017 hold over is risky lots of stuff wrong with these new trailers.. ???????

That statement makes no sense whatsoever!

You are looking at two totally different trailers, besides the floorplan. The Whitehawk is a more premier line of trailers by Jayco, built with aluminum frame and fiberglass exterior walls. It will have fancier wheels, fancier cabinets, fancier just about everything. The SLX on the other hand is a scaled down version of the Jayflight, scaled down meaning less bells and whistles. Yes, it is old school as far as wood and aluminum construction ..... which isn't a bad thing. Aluminum/wood has stood the test of time, is more forgiving for those who pass on maintaining the trailer. The fiberglass trailers aren't as forgiving (Delamination). As for the comment on 2017 having stuff wrong with them, i don't buy that for a minute. Yes, it does usually come down to price ..... but, if it's me, and i can do without some of the toys, i'm going Jayflight, because it's new. You are starting with a new one, you maintain it from day one, and it will serve you well for a long time. Also, one thing to remember ..... what year a used trailer is is second to the condition of the trailer. LIke a car, a trailer 2 or 3 years older, but maintained to the highest standard to me is worth more than something newer but used and abused.
BTW, was in a SLX265RSLW about a month ago ..... very nice trailer, same layout my Dad had about 6-7 years ago on his Eagle. The big window/recliners in the rear are a bonus. Good luck

X2
Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #18

ITs gotta fit your budget, but remember the newer the vehicle the longer you have with a warranty
MaxFalls44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #19

We have been reading about and shopping for a trailer for well over a year now. We really, truly wanted to go used, but we have discovered that people in our area are overpaying so drastically that they cannot come down to a price anywhere in the ball park that we want unless they come up with thousands and take a hit. Also, I've noticed that others buyers are willing to pay close to what these sellers are asking, so they would laugh at my offer anyway.

Example: A couple we know listed their 2016 bumper-pull with roughly a floor plan that would work for us for $18k. They said it was what they owed on it. Honestly, I wouldn't want to pay more than $10k, considering I didn't feel it was as nice of a trailer as the Jaycos, and I didn't know how they treated it during those two years. (And this situation has come up over and over again.) And guess what? That trailer sold within a few hours of being posted. I have no idea what the selling price was, but I'm sure it wasn't far off from the asking price.
The models I'm looking at can be purchased NEW for about $15k, and I will get a warranty.

We didn't really plan on buying a new trailer, but after doing our homework we feel that it is the wisest choice for us.
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #20

its all a matter of opinion my friend. what do you value?
MaxFalls44 is offline   Reply With Quote