Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 12
12 v Fan Plug

Thanks to browsing the experience on this forum, I've figured out what the whatchamacallit plug was next to our bunks - a 1/4" port for a light/fan.

Now, searching for a fan to plug in is much harder! I have found essentially there is "one" model - and varies in price and availability...

This may be more of a question on electronics in general, but Google wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped. Can I get a 12v "cigarette lighter" jack fan and wire it to a 1/4" jack? I've had some experience in the past (high school AV club) replacing those 1/4" for musical equipment, so I have the skill to solder is, just not sure if I can? And if I can just snip and solder, do I need to be concerned about which wire goes to which connector?

Thank you!!

Kim
Pingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingy View Post
Thanks to browsing the experience on this forum, I've figured out what the whatchamacallit plug was next to our bunks - a 1/4" port for a light/fan.

Now, searching for a fan to plug in is much harder! I have found essentially there is "one" model - and varies in price and availability...

This may be more of a question on electronics in general, but Google wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped. Can I get a 12v "cigarette lighter" jack fan and wire it to a 1/4" jack? I've had some experience in the past (high school AV club) replacing those 1/4" for musical equipment, so I have the skill to solder is, just not sure if I can? And if I can just snip and solder, do I need to be concerned about which wire goes to which connector?

Thank you!!

Kim
You can but maybe the better way to go would be to remove the 1/4 jack from the wall and wire in an outlet with a typical cig lighter female outlet, even better yet would be to wire in one that also contains a USB charger outlet.......that way yo open up many options.

Positive is always the center pin, the outer casing/liner of the outlet/plug is always negative.....if you happen to mix them up, the fan will run backwards.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,779
Yep, only one fan/light combo unit, and one light only unit. Seems like no one else makes anything for that plug. The plug is nothing special. Don't recall the size of the plug, it is nothing more than an old fashion head set plug.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 2,947
The only thing that made mine special to me was it clips to the shepard's pole.
__________________
2017 JayFlight 21QB
2021 Ford F150 SCrew 3.5 Eco, 157, 3.55, Tow Pkg
TaftCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Member
 
Stainless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 74
Have you checked Amazon or Walmart? I found a few options for it.

Also many stores with RV accessories should have something available.
__________________
2018 Jay Feather X23B
2004 Silverado
Stainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 12
Thanks everyone,

Yes, there is only one model I've discovered, and they're really pricey - at least here in Canada. I think the best price I've found is around $75 and availability is problematic it appears too.

I'll consider the rewiring of the jack (oddly, a replacement jack itself is easy to find!)... I do like the idea of including a USB jack as well. That's a 12V operated outlet, right? Would the USB jack just work? Has anyone got a lead on the replacement jack that would have the female cig lighter and a USB? I haven't found one yet...

We are full on boondockers - have a solar array and a couple of marine batteries that let us run the fridge and lights...

Thanks again

Kim
Pingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
North of 49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingy View Post
Thanks everyone,

Yes, there is only one model I've discovered, and they're really pricey - at least here in Canada. I think the best price I've found is around $75 and availability is problematic it appears too.

I'll consider the rewiring of the jack (oddly, a replacement jack itself is easy to find!)... I do like the idea of including a USB jack as well. That's a 12V operated outlet, right? Would the USB jack just work? Has anyone got a lead on the replacement jack that would have the female cig lighter and a USB? I haven't found one yet...

We are full on boondockers - have a solar array and a couple of marine batteries that let us run the fridge and lights...

Thanks again

Kim
USB is 5 volts, so any adapter you get would have to be able to step it down. Amazon is a good source for this; I had to replace the USB ports in our trailer and I found exactly what I needed there.

In our old hybrid, I wanted a bunk light without the fan, since the fan was loud and kept us up at night. And it hung down far enough I always whacked my head against it. I had an old 12 volt RV light, attached some broom clips (like the kind you'd use in a broom closet to hold a broom against the wall), some lamp cord, and a 1/4" mono plug.
__________________
Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jagiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingy View Post
Thanks everyone,

Y
I'll consider the rewiring of the jack (oddly, a replacement jack itself is easy to find!)... I do like the idea of including a USB jack as well. That's a 12V operated outlet, right? Would the USB jack just work? Has anyone got a lead on the replacement jack that would have the female cig lighter and a USB? I haven't found one yet...

Kim
I would install a 12V AUX outlet (cigarette lighter outlet) possibly next to the existing unit. The just plug in a USB car adapter. I installed a number of them a round our HTT.

You do not mention what you have for a TT, but assuming an HTT. I installed a few AUX outlets around on a dedicated circuit. Including a couple down low at the mattress level at mine and my DW's bunk. For the kid, I mounted his up high, as it was easier to get power there.
__________________

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would install a 12V AUX outlet (cigarette lighter outlet) possibly next to the existing unit. The just plug in a USB car adapter. I installed a number of them a round our HTT.

You do not mention what you have for a TT, but assuming an HTT. I installed a few AUX outlets around on a dedicated circuit. Including a couple down low at the mattress level at mine and my DW's bunk. For the kid, I mounted his up high, as it was easier to get power there.
I should update my profile! We've got a 2019 X19H Hybrid - love it. We'd upgraded from a 40+ year old pop up. So kept the best (tent experience, open air) and go the space and capacity of a hard side...

Thanks everyone for your help!

Kim
Pingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bunk fan, fan jack

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.