Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #1

184BS Furnace has no power?

Furnace problem: We picked up our new trailer last Monday and headed out to a full service site this past weekend for our maiden voyage. Everything went well apart from we could not get the furnace started in any way. We have it booked in for a warranty check in 2 weeks but I want to make sure we didn't miss anything obvious. I went through a phone trouble shooting process with our dealer to rule out the obvious but still worth asking here. Propane is on, stove works, hooked up to 30 amp power, fuses and breakers in the main panel are fine etc. When we flick the thermostat from off to high there is a slight click but nothing at all from the furnace. no fan/blower or anything. Found the reset on off switch on the furnace and reset that a few times with 30 seconds between off and on but still nothing. Seems to not be getting any power whatsoever. Any other ideas or do we have to sit patiently for our service in 2 weeks?
2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider
Gracey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

Luckily the last thing you need right now is heat! But it is smart to check everything out.

That click sound was that from the furnace or thermostat? If from the furnace, most likely that would indicate power. Lots of spots that could be the issue. Maybe DOA control board. loose wire connection, bad fuse. I'm sure it is not the sail switch, nor the flame sensor. As the furnace will start up, The fan will run, and shut down 20-30 seconds later.

Personally, I would grab a multimeter, and do some real testing. I would start with the easy items then work towards the harder things. Check the fuse for continuity, visually it might look good, but still be blown. Check the fuse slot to verify power to the fuse (converter side of the slot). Check the power leads at the furnace to verify you have proper power to the unit. Confirm the thermostat wires are connected on both ends. You can cross the wires to simulate the thermostat is calling for heat. Check the ground wire from the furnace to the TT chassis, for continuity.

The hardest thing to check is the backside of the power distribution panel for loose wire terminal connections (load side of the fuse). With all the power disconnected, both shore power and the battery. Remove the entire panel, I think it is four screws, behind the bezel. The main shore power wire, will be wire clamped to the floor about 6" from the terminals. You have to remove this wire clamp before you can really get the power distribution panel out. On my TT, I could just get the panel out far enough to blindly reach in with a screw driver (#2 square drive) and loosen the wire clamp. Once it was loose, I could easily remove the panel and check the terminals. I found lots of loose terminal lugs. Make sure when you put the power distribution panel back, to secure the main 120 Volt power cable to the floor. I added a few additional inches to make accessing the next time easier.

Good Luck, but this is also why you have a warranty. but I would try to fix it myself.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:23 PM   #3

The first part of the furnace sequence after receiving the turn on signal is for the blower to operate. For now you can eliminate propane, gas valve, and igniter.

For the blower to operate you only really need 3 things:

1. 12 volt power
2. Turn on signal from thermostat
3. Blower wheel able to rotate freely.

If you have a voltmeter you can verify the voltages at the furnace. If you can gain access to the blower wheel, make sure it spins freely. Also, look for any disconnected connections at the furnace.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips so far. Ordered a new thermostat to try that and will get the multimeter out. If I can solve it myself this way I won't put it in for Warranty as it seems like a common one. Fingers crossed but will report back for other's sakes if I manage to fix it. I'm the least electrical savvy person out there so we'll see!
Old 06-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #5

Fixed the problem by replacing the crappy little black Dometic thermostat with a recommeded $32 version from Amazon. Thank you everyone for you help on this.

6 minute swap out for a non electrical savvy person.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00204WWGE/...ing=UTF8&psc=1