Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2022, 03:15 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect Wiring

I have a ‘22 Jay Feather Micro 171BH and I’m looking at the wiring to add on some tank heaters. Looking in the water heater compartment appears to be where the power initially comes in before splitting off and heading to the fuse/breaker panel under the stove.

Looking at the wiring diagram has me baffled, looks like the battery disconnect switch is missing a wire and doesn’t actually do anything…the “switched B+” red/white wire appears to be missing. Should I be concerned? I need to dig around to see if it’s connected somewhere else.
Attached Thumbnails
F10A051F-DB06-4A74-B8B2-E31283161F99.jpg   5AA8E355-A61A-431A-8998-76645983AF16.jpg  
jpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #2

Does the converter work?
Old 09-30-2022, 04:50 PM   #3

To be honest I’m not sure what the power converter does…I don’t have an inverter. And this missing wire would just be 12V. All 12V appliances and short power works fine.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:59 PM   #4

Just a guess that the other wire was to be on the other terminal, that way when you turn it off all 12 volt in the camper is off.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:34 PM   #5

I was thinking that as well, and moving one of the wires to the other terminal would certainly cut all power. It does look like there should be three wires, however. Maybe this is how it’s supposed to be and I just don’t have a power converter?
Old 09-30-2022, 07:39 PM   #6

Jpaw....you are correct in that there should be three wires on the back of that disconnect, according to the schematic. One is the incoming 12vdc from the battery/breaker, ans continues on to the buss bar for your unswitched 12vdc and converter. The switched terminal gets hooked to your 12vdc fuse panel, (also built into your converter). It's designed this way so that the converter supplies 12vdc, (actually 13.8) to charge the battery when connected to shore power, even if you have the "house" 12vdc circuits turned off.
Now, why your 12vdc circuits are operational, when there isn't a switched leg off the disconnect is a wrench in the works.
The only thing I can figure, (without actually looking at this), is that either at the factory, or at the dealership, someone discovered the 12vdc fuse panel was dead, and wired it the quickest way they could, bypassing the disconnect as a result.. You would have to start looking closely at the converter to determine what's up.
It's complete speculation on my part, but the easiest way would be to jumper from that unswitched B+ going to the converter, to the terminal feeding the 12vdc fuse panel, at the converter).

Oh....and you do have a power converter. If you didn't none of your house lighting would work. The converter turns 120VAC into 12vdc for the camper.

Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote