Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2024, 09:51 AM   #1

Brand New Battery Dead

It Never Ends! lol
Getting ready for our biggest trip ever. Today was set up WD/Anti sway hitch day. Disconnected shore power to move TT to level ground to set up hitch. Went to use electric tongue jack, nothing. Went to check battery meter on control panel, nothing. Got multimeter battery dead! Battery (marine deep cycle) was just bought brand new and installed Wednesday 03/20/24! Barely registered 1 amp on lowest DC setting on meter. Battery taking charge now. Found blown 30 amp fuse on wire harness just after J-Box between battery & camper. Everything works on shore power. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
SJ Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ Communicator View Post
It Never Ends! lol
Getting ready for our biggest trip ever. Today was set up WD/Anti sway hitch day. Disconnected shore power to move TT to level ground to set up hitch. Went to use electric tongue jack, nothing. Went to check battery meter on control panel, nothing. Got multimeter battery dead! Battery (marine deep cycle) was just bought brand new and installed Wednesday 03/20/24! Barely registered 1 amp on lowest DC setting on meter. Battery taking charge now. Found blown 30 amp fuse on wire harness just after J-Box between battery & camper. Everything works on shore power. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
How old is the trailer? If you are on shore power, check and see what the output is on the battery leads. You should see 13.9 or 13.6, if not, check breakers and fuse for the converter, it may not be working properly if the breaker/fuse is OK.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #3

Thank you for the quick response! My rig is a 2019 Jayco 24RL. Everything works on shore power! I will check the leads once I get a charge on the battery. What do you think would've caused the 30amp inline ground (green wire) fuse to blow? I am concerned about hooking up my TV now...
Old 03-24-2024, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response! My rig is a 2019 Jayco 24RL. Everything works on shore power! I will check the leads once I get a charge on the battery. What do you think would've caused the 29 amp inline ground (green wire) fuse to blow? I am concerned about hooking up my TV now...
Green isn't ground, white is. If you have the green on the neg side of the battery you have it connected wrong..
Old 03-24-2024, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response! My rig is a 2019 Jayco 24RL. Everything works on shore power! I will check the leads once I get a charge on the battery. What do you think would've caused the 29 amp inline ground (green wire) fuse to blow? I am concerned about hooking up my TV now...
It is very rare to see any fuse on a ground wire and a 29 amp fuse is also very rare (I am not sure they even exist). Perhaps more details would be of value. Also to note, while green wires are almost always used for ground when used for AC voltages, the RV could be setup to use a green wire for a non-ground wire in particular for RV usage (vs AC 120v+ usage). I would verify where it originates and terminates to be sure. ~CA

Also to note, I checked as I remembered that "GREEN" is often used in the trailer connector for the trailer tail lights, often the running lights or the right side turn/brake lights depending on how it is setup. ~CA
Old 03-24-2024, 10:48 AM   #6

All I know is that the wire color was green and there's an inline 30amp DC fuse that was blown. So I am assuming this is a fuseable link of some sorts. I only said ground as usually on 110 green is ground (Black= Hot, White = Neutral) I will take the Jbox covet off to see what it's tied into.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:51 AM   #7

I bought this TT brand new and other than adding a rear Camera on the pre-wired set up. There have been no electrical modifications made. Should I be concerned about hooking it up to my TV? I would hate to have a spike, direct ground orsomething hit 2018 truck electronics...
Old 03-24-2024, 10:54 AM   #8

29amp was a typo from my fat fingers and tiny lcd keyboard keys lol. Comment has been edited to correct
Old 03-24-2024, 11:03 AM   #9

Okay I just pulled the J-box cover off and the green wires the 30amp fuse is tied into one wire nut with all black wires (4) and one wire nut with one red and 3 blacks. So I see is definitely on the hot side.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
I bought this TT brand new and other than adding a rear Camera on the pre-wired set up. There have been no electrical modifications made. Should I be concerned about hooking it up to my TV? I would hate to have a spike, direct ground orsomething hit 2018 truck electronics...
I wouldn't want to connect to any trailer where a wire(s) on the main harness is blowing a fuse(s) and I would investigate why that occurred (or is occurring) and correct the issue prior to connecting your truck to the RV.

With that in mind, I have never seen any truck not have all of the trailer connector plug connections (except the ground connection) fuse protected (sometimes breakers, fusible links, etc.) so I wouldn't expect any damage at all to the truck other than possibly blowing some hard to find fuse(s). Keep in mind that some trailer connectors (especially older trucks but perhaps newer ones as well) have common fuses so if you did blow the fuse for the turn signals (just an example, could be brake lights or any of the circuits) then your turn signals may also fail on your truck until you replace the fuse and disconnect the trailer connector. ~CA
Old 04-14-2024, 06:19 PM   #11

Just as an update, once I replaced the 30amp fuse we had no issues for our entire trip from Tampa Florida Lake Buchanan Texas! Battery held a charge and now fuses blown. We even had to rely on 12v only for a couple single nite layovers at Harvest Host sites there and back. The only thing I can think happened was, there must of been a spike from a lightning strike or another type of surge that wiped out the inline fuse. But everything worked fine and I am very happy about that.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:36 PM   #12
Site Team

Happy you're back in business. Thanks for the post.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote