Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Directv HD dish replacement.

I understand that in April Directv will not be available in SD. Only HD will be available. Right now I have SD and to enable HD I will need to buy a $2000 HD dish. Anyone have a cheaper resolution to this problem?

b646488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

You can get a portable dish and set it up outside. They can be had for near about nothing. I take one wherever I go and have been for years. If you are talking about an automatic rooftop unit, yes, expensive.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #3

I have one on the roof and a carry out. They are both SD not HD. HD carry out or roof top for directv are very expensive. Is your carry out HD?
b646488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:27 AM   #4

I went and check on one today the whole setup will cost about $450.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #5

Dish Network

Dish Network is much more RV friendly with the Dish outdoor package and we watch local network channels ( typically less than 50 miles away ) for news and weather based on our current Zip code - we are not limited to East Coast or West Coast feeds Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
Dish Network is much more RV friendly with the Dish outdoor package and we watch local network channels ( typically less than 50 miles away ) for news and weather based on our current Zip code - we are not limited to East Coast or West Coast feeds Les

How does Dish handle networks when you are out of your local zip code? I am a long time DirecTV customer and their DNS service is great for me since I like network channels, but care less about local channels. New York or L.A. is fine with me. I just set my favorite programs and when I set up my dish at my new location and my programs record automatically. I know Dish had a DNS type system a number of years ago, but that went away as I recall.

Thanks for your reply.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by b646488 View Post
I have one on the roof and a carry out. They are both SD not HD. HD carry out or roof top for directv are very expensive. Is your carry out HD?
Not sure who you were replying to but my set up is the oblong dish that receives HD signal. My set up is totally free. I just got an abandoned dish from a friend who had switched and take a receiver from the house when we go camping. Just takes a few minutes to get set up and we have hd tv.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by b646488 View Post
I understand that in April Directv will not be available in SD. Only HD will be available. Right now I have SD and to enable HD I will need to buy a $2000 HD dish. Anyone have a cheaper resolution to this problem?
An HD Slimline dish is what I have and I would suggest you keep your eyes open for someone moving and see if they have a Slimline dish. DirecTV says when you move to leave the dish and take your receiver with you. Just ask the person moving and they will probably let you take the dish for nothing. You could also keep your eyes open for a DirecTV truck and ask the driver if he has a removed one. He might give it to you also.

For a tripod I recommend a heavy duty model from www.tv4rv.com. I have been using their tripod for 9 years now full time. The only problem I ever had with the tripod was one time it got hit by a neighbor's fastup tent that lifted off in a thunderstorm and cracked a couple of the components. I ordered them from the same place I ordered the tripod initially and was back in service in a couple of days.

For aiming the dish don't get an expensive meter. I use the signal strength meter built into the DirecTV receiver and a wireless baby monitor. Aim the camera at the TV screen and take the wireless receiver out to the dish. Aiming is done in literally less than 5 minutes. After the first few times you can do it almost in your sleep.

I don't use the half of a concrete block anymore. I use a 5 gallon bucket that I fill with water as a tripod anchor after the tripod is set and aimed. Lighter to carry around.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0254.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #9

Although SD is indeed ending at DirecTV, the satellite that broadcasts those SD signals via mpeg2 is NOT going away. And the unofficial opinion of many is that DirecTV is going to start converting those mpeg2 transponders to begin transmitting HD instead of SD.

Currently, all HD broadcasts are transmitted using an mpeg4 compression scheme and SD was broadcast via an mpeg2 compression scheme. The LNB's used in the carryout dishes for DirecTV can only process mpeg2 and since DirecTV only offered SD service via mpeg2 in the past, that is why you couldn't get HD. With the changes announced, it appears DirecTV is going to offer a set package of HD channels via mpeg2 so the current carryouts and mobile dishes won't just stop working. What that package of channels will look like or when it will actually occur is still unannounced.

So in simple terms, the domed dishes now in use for SD reception will not automatically become paper weights and just might (no official announcement has been made but neither have they discounted this widely held belief either) start being able to receive the new HD/mpeg2 signals and with the correct receivers on the other end, you will finally be able to get HD from DirecTV with the carryouts instead of just SD.

So if it were me, was happy with DirecTV currently, I would probably sit pat on what I had until it didn't work any longer then make the changes. You might just be able to keep your current setup and then get HD. Jumping now might just end up being an expensive and unnecessary move.

With that said, as others have mentioned, Dish is much more RV friendly is the main reason you see more Dish users in parks than DirecTV.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
How does Dish handle networks when you are out of your local zip code? I am a long time DirecTV customer and their DNS service is great for me since I like network channels, but care less about local channels. New York or L.A. is fine with me. I just set my favorite programs and when I set up my dish at my new location and my programs record automatically. I know Dish had a DNS type system a number of years ago, but that went away as I recall.

Thanks for your reply.
It's my understanding that Dish doesn't do DNS any longer but rather allows local station changes at your discretion. For those that take a receiver assigned to a residential account out of their homes and use them temporarily in their RV's, you have to call or use their chat function on their website to get the change implemented for your current location. However, if your Dish account is designated as a "Dish Outdoors" account (ie: pay as you go), you can do it via their smartphone app and no call is necessary. The app uses the zip you enter as well as GPS coordinates on your phone to verify your location.

So with DNS service, and the fact you have recordings setup, you probably would not like the way Dish does theirs since the local/network station channel numbers would change at each location vs. a set it and forget it with DirecTV DNS. I also suggest you do nothing to your account that will renew your 2 year commitment. I have seen posts from others that they lost their DNS during the renewal process (being moved from the old DirecTV system to the ATT system) and went thru hell getting it back, if at all. Maybe ATT has finally figured out how to reinstate it in the new system but I have yet to see any positive posts saying that.