Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #11

Unit is a 2014 that we purchased new this spring. The regulator was leaking and a new one was put on. Still could be bad.

scott321968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:07 PM   #12

I have had numerous bbq tanks run out of gas while still at least a third full. They all have that shut off internal valve for overfills and u might have a bad one
Rock

Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #13

Thanks Rock. My neighbor thinls the same thing.
scott321968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #14

Scott321968
That was another great gov move putting them junk valves in. I finally going two good blue rhino BBQ ones that let u empty the full tank and I just refill those instead of swap outs. Every time the government gets involved they make it worse like the new epa gas can spouts
Rock
Old 10-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Scott321968
That was another great gov move putting them junk valves in. I finally going two good blue rhino BBQ ones that let u empty the full tank and I just refill those instead of swap outs. Every time the government gets involved they make it worse like the new epa gas can spouts
Rock
Yeah those new gas can spouts are a real PITA. Luckily I bought several of the old style cans on ebay after the new ones came out.
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #16

Crabman
I just got got some replacement spouts from Amazon. Someone posted that on the forum. Everytime I filled my portable Jenney I spilt gas. Did not want that to happen in my new pinnacle. Do u know if the ten gallon tank is built in or can u remove for filling? Still waiting for my babies arrival hope this week
Rock
Old 10-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

It is my understanding (I may be totally wrong) that LPG used is a blend of Propane and Butane and that the blend is changed depending on the temperature or time of year. The different blends cause the LPG to vaporize better at lower temps. So if you have tanks that were filled say in FL or during the summer and you are using them in NY during the winter you could have a problem. Having said that, my guess is that you have a bad pigtail from the tank. I have had this happen twice making me think that the tank is empty. However, the tank should have switched over as the bad pigtail would indicate low pressure or lack of fuel to the transfer valve.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yeah those new gas can spouts are a real PITA. Luckily I bought several of the old style cans on ebay after the new ones came out.
I saved the spouts from several old cans but found that the threads did not match the new cans. Probably designed to foil my end run.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #19

The replacement spouts come with several caps to fit different cans.

The easy way to eliminate the valve swap the tanks around
Rock
Old 10-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Propane is stored and delivered as a liquid, but used by your heater as a vapor. The liquid propane volume in any LP Gas container is directly related to its temperature. Propane volume rises as temperature rises and falls as temperature falls. 60 degrees fahrenheit is your reference point. Propane users can become quite confused during periods of cold weather because their propane tank gauge may read less than what they expect it to read.

As to troubleshooting, the manual will have troubleshooting and maintenance procedures, and you can find those procedures on youtube videos. It is valuable to learn the furnace sequence of operation. I'm an advocate of RV owners expanding their service skills properly, rather than applying "try this or that" procedures.

One good water heater reference (yes the thread is re: furnace, but same advice), is at Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting

Some of your basic tools you will need are a manometer, multi-meter, and circuit board tester, plus some common hand tools.

If you make it a point to perform maintenance twice a year, you can become more familiar with your water heater and keep the components in great shape. Water heaters tend to be out of sight and therefore out of mind. Get in a habit of opening your access door and keeping and eye out for rust, insect nests, and other visually problematic issues.

If you have a Suburban then you need to inspect the anode rode twice a year and replace it well before it is completely used up as it is protecting the inside of the tank from rust.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote