Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #21

Another vote for the Gamin RV760LMT. I won't use Waze, Google Maps, etc. when towing as they don't provide information that I believe is critical (low overpasses, weight limits, etc.)
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
Yes, the two previous GPS units I have used did not have free map updates for life. And at $70 dollars for a map update they became out of date fairly quickly. If I were to buy another it would have to come with free lifetime updates and free traffic as well.

I don't think anything will be as up to date as Google Maps or OpenStreet Maps which a lot of the Android or Apple navigation apps rely on.

I am not really arguing one way or the other as I don't have experience with a modern RV specific GPS. Just giving other options.

Cheers
Let me start out that I am a big Garmin and technology fan.

Most my experience is with the Motorcycle side of things though. I like doing long distance endurance riding (1000-1500 miles/24hrs). On my distance bike I run 5 devices not counting my cell phone. 3 Garmin Zumos (motorcycle specific), Garmin Virb Ultra 30 and SPOT Messenger. On a bike I am riding solo so I don't have a co-pilot to cycle between various screens and displays.

GPS1 - Map Display of programmed route
GPS2 - Roll chart view of next 3 turns (exit number/street name and distance)
GPS3 - Audio (nav voice prompts/XM/MP2/Bluetooth to cell for phone calls) backup GPS
Virb Ultra - GPS route logging overlayed to time lapse video of trip.
SPOT Messenger - Satellite transponder. This doesn't tell me where I am but updates a private website so my wife can check in on me to see where I am, where I am going, how fast I am going. I can also with a press of a button send a sms message via sat communications network (no cell coverage) that I am OK as well as call for help (roadside assistance) or Emergency Services.

As far as Garmin maps. They are updated several times a year. However it is a manual process to bring in the device, hook it up to a computer and update the maps. Cell phone is updated automatically and I see now that Google maps is periodically downloading a new copy of offline maps every month. It just started a couple months ago.

An interesting thing on the Garmin maps is I actually run different mapsets. For instance one of my devices, the backup/audio head unit, I run a customized mapset. You have the option to load the entire US but what I do is custom load certain states depending on what I am doing. Lets say I am in MN and doing a run to AZ. I might only load map details for AZ and MN and no map data for any state between the two. However I will load the current map data as well as the map data from 2009. A lot of people out there are probably wonder why I run 2009 maps but while the roads are old, Garmin did a dump of a lot of map Points of Interest in 2010. So if I am looking for something and can't find it on the other Garmins I swap mapsets on the device and search again. For instance I like running to Moonshine Il for a burger and zip back home. It is a nice 1100 mile trip when I have a day to burn. This little "town" disappeared from Garmin Mapsets in 2010. So newer isn't always better but it depends on what you are doing with your GPS.

As far as map updates as a very basic guide those letters that make up the model number designate things about the device. This isn't always 100% accurate but a general rule. We are used to this in the RV market. My 25BH is a 25 foot Bunkhouse as it has the designation BH. With Garmins you will see LM this means lifetime maps included. LMT would be lifetime maps as well as traffic. I will say this. While traffic kind of works with Garmin, I would take Waze any day over it. Even if a device doesn't come with a lifetime maps they normally sell it as an update. I think they charge $70 for a map or $120 for lifetime subscription. Something like that anyhow.

As for what I do. I have lots of Garmins as I mentioned but they never leave the RAM mounts on the bike. Well one might get moved from bike to bike but I don't use them in the truck. For us 99.999% of our camping is going back to places we have been. It is either camp grounds in the area where I know the road restrictions or places we have been before. So normally we just have a cell phone with Waze. What that does that Garmin Traffic doesn't is tell me more real time information about a broken down vehicle that might be on the right shoulder with enough notice that I can get over which is the law here in MN and a good idea anyhow.

The problem with Google maps is even if you have local data downloaded, you can't create a route if you don't have cell or wifi coverage. While not a problem at home, I might be at a remote state park and I can't create a route to get home because there is no coverage. Never really had this issue with the camper but I have had it happen to me a few times when all I had was my cell phone and the car. However both the Yukon Denali and Subaru WRX have factory nav so I can in worst case use that to get me long my way until I hit roads I know or get cell coverage to use the phone.

Another option I haven't seen mentioned (unless I missed it) is that quite a few people in other forums have mentioned CoPilot RV USA. They make several versions for Android and iPhone. It runs $60 and has a traffic option which I think is $10/year. Not sure how good or bad it is as I haven't tried it. I have read it uses offline map data so that is good but maybe someone here has used it. I have been debating on buying it but haven't yet.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #23

I think these GPS units are fabulous, but I hate all the wires hanging all over the place. Does anyone know if they can be hard wired into the rv?
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
I think these GPS units are fabulous, but I hate all the wires hanging all over the place. Does anyone know if they can be hard wired into the rv?
Cut off the cigarette lighter plug and wire it directly into 12 volt wires somewhere.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Don't just lop off the end of the power cord and hardwire it to 12V without first using a voltmeter to check the end or look for information on it to see if it is outputting 12V. Most do but not all of them. Better to play it safe than sorry. Garmin does sell hardwire harnesses for some of their GPS devices so maybe look into that. Then you can save your cig cord if you go on vacation and rent a car.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Don't just lop off the end of the power cord and hardwire it to 12V without first using a voltmeter to check the end or look for information on it to see if it is outputting 12V. Most do but not all of them. Better to play it safe than sorry. Garmin does sell hardwire harnesses for some of their GPS devices so maybe look into that. Then you can save your cig cord if you go on vacation and rent a car.
Anything that has a cigarette lighter plug on the end can take in 12 volts.
But you do need to make sure the wires you are attaching it to puts out 12 volts.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Anything that has a cigarette lighter plug on the end can take in 12 volts.
But you do need to make sure the wires you are attaching it to puts out 12 volts.
Yes input is going to be 12V that isn't the issue. The output of the cig adapter sometimes has a transformer in there and what the GPS is expecting isn't always 12V. So when I say test it first with a voltmeter I am talking about the end that plugs into the GPS. I think I have 7 Garmins and I can think of 2 off the top of my head that are NOT 12V because I wanted to hardwire them. Actually don't a lot of the newer ones use USB (cell phone) for a power connector? That is only 5V not 12V.

Like I mentioned before, the ones I use are mainly Motorcycle oriented Zumos. Those come with a 12V hardwire kit because most motorcycles don't have cig sockets. Even if they have one they don't have 3 of them.

EDIT: Another issue you may face is some of the models that have Traffic need a special power cable. This is because the antenna to receive the traffic data is built into that cable. So if you power off something other than the OEM cable or cut it for hardwiring, you may no longer get traffic updates.

If USB power is an option for powering the Garmin, you can get USB outlets that can be hardwired in. I have added a couple on my distance bike. This way I can charge my cell phone, tablet or on long trips I will have to plug in my Sena 20S BT Headset which are all USB. I don't like Cig Sockets on motorcycles because due to vibrations and rough roads the adapters tend to fall out. I haven't had any issues with a USB falling out. For sockets I use BMW plugs which hold better for all the heated gear and some 2 pin SAE for other stuff like Radios (GMRS/CB/WX).
Old 03-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #28

I'm not sure if you got your gps yet or not but, Garmin is coming out with a new model that will be out, or is at least supposed to be out, at the end of the month. It has Rv settings and voice activation making it easier to operate. Worth looking into, I plan on ordering one when they come out since I do not have a GPS for the camper yet.
Whatnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnext View Post
I'm not sure if you got your gps yet or not but, Garmin is coming out with a new model that will be out, or is at least supposed to be out, at the end of the month. It has Rv settings and voice activation making it easier to operate. Worth looking into, I plan on ordering one when they come out since I do not have a GPS for the camper yet.
That would be the Garmin RV770LMT. It was due to be released at the end of February. It can be pre-ordered on Amazon. I'm definitely getting one.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 AM   #30

Garmin GPS

I assume these units have a built in antennae. Will these work in a class C with the overhang? Do they come with an external antennae?
Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #31

Yes, they have a built-in antenna. The signal can get through the overhead cab just fine. I've had the bunk loaded with stuff and still had no problem with satellite reception.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Another option if you do not want wires is to get an in-dash system that runs the Garmin RV software as well as all the other music in the tow vehicle. I have a Kenwood DNX 571TR that works great.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Another option if you do not want wires is to get an in-dash system that runs the Garmin RV software as well as all the other music in the tow vehicle. I have a Kenwood DNX 571TR that works great.
I was going to recommend that as well. Although it is a pricier option it is much more convenient. If anyone goes this route make sure to get a head unit with Carplay (Apple) or Android Auto compatible.

That Kenwood model looks like a nice one and comes with trucking and RV specific Garmin software. I wonder if you could find something like that that also has Android Auto or Carplay. Best of both worlds!

Cheers
Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
If my eyes were better, perhaps I would use Google maps or Waze. However, my dedicated Garmin GPS is much better suited for me as all the information is displayed in a larger format. I'm using a 7 or 8 year old Garmin Nuvi 1490 but will be updating to the Garmin RV 760 soon.
I have the same one (paid $189 for it at Sam's Club 6 or 7 years ago - it was outdated then which is why it was such a good deal). I'd love to upgrade, but as long as it keeps on working so well, I cant justify the expense. I've never had a Garmin quit. The only reason I bought this one was to get the traffic and lifetime map updates that my previous Garmin didn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
It does not look like it has that capability but Google have been advised that it would be a good addition so it could happen.

There are plenty of Apps that cover navigation and RV routing along with offline maps.

To be honest I haven't used a Garmin or TomTom for years. I have a few outdated models at home that never got used either. I always just reach for my phone rather than trying to search for addresses or places in a dedicated GPS unit. I always found them very clunky to use and the maps were always out of date.

We just got a 2016 Ford Edge with built in Nav and the Navigation is useless for finding things. It can't even locate the Ford dealership! I think I had 1 successful search in a few months of owning it. I upgraded the software to enable Android Auto and it is amazing! Google maps right on the dash with voice commands that actually work without needing to memorize specific commands like you do trying to talk to the Ford built in system.

I am sure the newer GPS units have come a long way since I have used them but I'll stick with Google Maps and always have an up to date map that I can find almost anything on.

How often are the Garmin maps updated and do you get the updates for free?

Cheers
Garmin updates maps quarterly. I plug it into the computer, open Garmin's updater, then let it run - usually takes an hour or so.

Since I transfer it back and forth between my 2 vehicles, and I take it when I'm renting so that I have a familiar interface, I don't consider hard wiring it. My pickup has a shallow well in the center of the dash and the GPS sits there on it's beanbag mount. The wire is relatively unobtrusive, and the unit sits low enough that it doesn't block any of the windshield

Even though mine isn't RV specific, I love having it. I pull a small enough trailer that I'm not generally worrying about weight or height. I guess if I was driving one of those huge buses, I might be more likely to invest in an RV770 when they come out, but until this one dies, I'll keep using it.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #35

The last post on this subject was almost 2 years ago. I'm now researching a GPS for my Chevy Suburban and travel trailer. Has anyone used more modern equipment? If so, can you give a review? I'm interested in LMT, weather and a 7" screen. Voice command would be nice. Any comments? Thanks in advance.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
The last post on this subject was almost 2 years ago. I'm now researching a GPS for my Chevy Suburban and travel trailer. Has anyone used more modern equipment? If so, can you give a review? I'm interested in LMT, weather and a 7" screen. Voice command would be nice. Any comments? Thanks in advance.
Here's a recent thread that may be helpful. Either of Garmin's current offerings - RV660LMT or RV770LMT - would probably fit your needs.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-60653.html
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #37

Yes, the 660 or 770 seem to be well received. I'm concerned that one of the postings said, "Tie it to the app on your phone for weather and traffic alerts." I use my Smart Phone, which cost about $15, calls and texts -- getting apps is a whole other ball game (user deficiency). So, is there a way to get weather or traffic alerts w/o a Smart Phone?
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #38

I believe with the RV770LMT-S traffic does require a link with a smartphone app and a subscription, at least based on Garmin's web site. However, the RV660LMT has lifetime traffic included assuming you purchase a unit that includes the combination power cable/traffic receiver. I just pulled the RV660LMT up on Amazon and it looks like the unit they are selling does include the combination power cable/traffic receiver - on sale for $210 at the moment. This is the cable that plugs into your 12V accessory plug in your vehicle to power the unit. I've been using this unit since 2015 and have been quite pleased with it's performance.

As far as weather alerts go it looks like for the Garmin's that is only available via subscription using the smartphone app. I'm in the habit of using the weather widget on my phone to check conditions ahead of my travel so never thought about having that feature on the GPS unit.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #39

I have the Garman trucker 760 LMT and wanted to upgrade to the RV 760 LMT but it did not take into account propane and allowed you to go through tunnels, bridges or areas which have restrictions on propane so I stayed with a truck model. not sure if the RV 770 LMT accounts for propane now worth checking out though

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:32 AM   #40

Check out Gaia. Phone app. Fantastic GPS
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote