Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #1

Haunted Radio? :-)

OK, this is strange...

The radio in our JayFeather 19XUD will turn itself on, at no particular time and for no apparent reason.
It happens when nobody's around... several mornings this week, I've walked past the locked-up TT and it's been playing away to itself.
It makes no difference if it's on battery or shore power, the same thing happens.

Is my trailer getting lonely and turning it's radio on, for company? :-)

The weird thing is... in our old Starcraft pop-up, the same thing used to happen, to the point where I had to fit a separate switch in the radio power line.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I want to replace the radio anyway, but I'd rather get to the bottom of this, first.

Thanks

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

When we change channels on the TV the radio comes on
We set the volume to 0 on aux
It can be as haunted as it likes. It must be sensitive to audio waves from the tv or the remote frequency

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

best guess why it turns itself on, if you are on shore power a spike or drop in power could trip it. See that before. Best ways to solve it: put a switch into the radio's power line AND find the reason of the power spike.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Happens constantly with my rig also. I always leave it on Bluetooth so it won't start blasting away when it comes on.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I always leave it on Bluetooth so it won't start blasting away when it comes on.
Well, that's one reason I want to change it out. The promised Bluetooth option doesn't seem to be there.. but that's a whole other issue.

Nice to know it's not just me, though!

Old 03-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
best guess why it turns itself on, if you are on shore power a spike or drop in power could trip it. See that before. Best ways to solve it: put a switch into the radio's power line AND find the reason of the power spike.
Radio behaves if the TV is not playing
Only misbehaves when changing TV channels
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

Phantom radio

NOAA weather service announcements use to turn ours on - so i figured out how to turn off the announcements and it cured the problem
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #8

Some of the headunits have built in wake up alarms. Make sure yours is not set to come on at a certain time.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #9

It's a very basic, very cheap radio, as fitted at the factory. No frills, no alarms, no Bluetooth, really doesn't do much at all.

I did some research and found that this is a very common issue... especially with Jensen radios. I found a posting from Tech Support at ASA, who distribute them, and their considered, technical opinion is, "Yeah they do that".

When you turn the radio "off".. you don't. It goes into a sleep state, in which it still has power on it, and it's lurking, monitoring the buttons and the sensor for the remote.
Apparently, it's very sensitive, and almost anything will wake it up again... changes in voltage, temperature, loud noises, cars going by, animals walking on the roof, shift in wind direction, alignment of the stars and Mystic Cosmic Forces..

The best they can come up with is "Cut the IGN/ACC wire and put a switch in it." .. which is what I planned to do anyway. Or buy a better radio :-)

When this happened on the PopUp, I found myself tearing panels off in the middle of the night, with a pair of cutters in my hand, chanting "Out, Demons, Out! (Yes, I AM that old...)

Old 03-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
OK, this is strange...

The radio in our JayFeather 19XUD will turn itself on, at no particular time and for no apparent reason.
It happens when nobody's around... several mornings this week, I've walked past the locked-up TT and it's been playing away to itself...Is my trailer getting lonely and turning it's radio on, for company?
Try disconnecting ALL power to your rig. If it still comes on, boy do you have issues...

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
It's a very basic, very cheap radio, as fitted at the factory. No frills, no alarms, no Bluetooth, really doesn't do much at all.
A really feature that came with my Bluetooth is "microphone not installed". You have to pull the radio and plug in the mic.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #12

Our radio seemed to come on with no reason. Finally figured out when we use our aftermarket DVD remote our Trailer radio comes on. Took a while to figure it out. We don't bother using the remote anymore.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:

I did some research and found that this is a very common issue... especially with Jensen radios. I found a posting from Tech Support at ASA, who distribute them, and their considered, technical opinion is, "Yeah they do that".

When you turn the radio "off".. you don't. It goes into a sleep state, in which it still has power on it, and it's lurking, monitoring the buttons and the sensor for the remote.
Apparently, it's very sensitive, and almost anything will wake it up again... changes in voltage, temperature, loud noises, cars going by, animals walking on the roof, shift in wind direction, alignment of the stars and Mystic Cosmic Forces..

The best they can come up with is "Cut the IGN/ACC wire and put a switch in it." .. which is what I planned to do anyway. Or buy a better radio :-)

When this happened on the PopUp, I found myself tearing panels off in the middle of the night, with a pair of cutters in my hand, chanting "Out, Demons, Out! (Yes, I AM that old...)
I wan't to know about the animals walking on roof.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I wan't to know about the animals walking on roof.
Raccoons... their little feet cause vibrations at exactly the right frequency to activate the radio.. Honest... :-)

(What, you don't get the Raccoon Two-Step on your roof?)