Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Integrated brake issue

I’ve owned a 2015 White Hawk since new. After a couple of years on a long trip, we started to get issues with the integrated brake controller on the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle. The issue causes intermittent and sometimes long lapses in trailer brake function. It will say “check trailer wiring”. When it comes back, the truck says “trailer connected”. Since they have an issue with the controller, we blamed the truck. After dealing with GM for a couple of years I traded the truck in for a 2017 GMC. After a couple of trips, we are having the same issue with the new truck. We are taking the trailer into the dealer to check it out. Any suggestions on what they should look for? It seems that the trailer works fine for a while and then prevents the truck from realizing the trailer is connected when it really is. GM sends a pulse out to the trailer about once every second and if it doesn’t sense the trailer, the brakes become inoperable. I’ve had too many scary moments and need to get this fixed soon. Suggestions on the trailer side that will cause this? Thanks
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

Whenever I have heard about this issue, it's almost always been traced to a dirty connection point between the TV and the TT. Check the 7 pins on both ends, spray some electrical contact cleaner into them and bet it solves the issue.
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
Site Team

And check the connections inside the junction box. Something may be intermittently losing contact. Look for the household wire nut connections.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote