Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #1

Inverter Answer that I can’t find

I’ve been researching adding an inverter/charger/converter with a built in transfer switch for a few months. Please bare with me and help me with the following if you can;

The one thing I’m having trouble understanding is the converter side of things and connecting the new inverter.

Let’s say I install the above type of inverter and disconnect and or remove my original built in converter/charger from my circuit panel. Now, I take the 30 amp shore power “in” and remove it from my current, original, factory on board transfer switch and then connect it to the AC power “in” on the new inverter/transfer switch, can I then connect the AC “out” of the inverter directly back “in” to my original, factory transfer switch, where I removed my 30 amp shore power from? (Which then goes to the main breaker on my panel, switched by my original transfer switch, between the generator, shore power or inverter power by priority).

Or should I bypass my original, factory transfer switch and go directly to my panel with the AC “out” of the new inverter/converter/charger transfer switch? If I do one or the other would my system be connected incorrectly, and what would be the effects?

Assuming one of the above is correct;
How does the converter/charger side of things connect or work if I disconnected my original charger/converter? How does the new inverter/charger/converter charge my batteries?, Does it back feed to the DC battery terminals from the new inverter/charger/converter?, if so what stops the inverter from cycling a charge to the batteries when on inverter power only?, and if the inverter is switched off does the charger/converter side still cycle through the inverter? I’m assuming the 12V connections from the batteries connects to my coaches on/off solenoid, then connects back to the 12V side of my panel and fuses?

I know I muddied up things without providing a wiring schematic.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

Do you have the make and model of the unit you are looking to install?

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Do you have the make and model of the unit you are looking to install?
Aims 2500
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:10 PM   #4

I looked at the manual for the unit you mentioned and it appears impressive. You need to decide what you will want to run off the inverter. Will you want to power all outlets in your rig or just certain ones?

Another BIG consideration is battery capacity. Inverters eat gobs of battery power so you would need multiple batteries. Recharging the batteries would be a concern too. A few hundred watts of solar would definitely help. Otherwise, once the batteries are depleted you will have to run the generator for a few hours to restore the charge.

I assume that you have a generator so installing this unit will still require the original transfer switch to switch between shore and generator. You could then feed the output of that transfer switch to the input of your new inverter. This assumes you want to power all 120 volts off the inverter.

The inverter's internal transfer switch would then select either the shore/generator power or its own inverted power for its output. The output of the new inverter would then feed the circuit breaker panel which is where the other transfer switch probably connected.

So basically you would be installing this unit in the line that was between the original transfer switch and the breaker panel. You would cut the line open and connect it as previously mentioned.

You would be removing the original converter as it is not needed. The battery connections to the new unit would work in both directions - inverter input and charge output. I doubt if the 12 volt wires that were attached to your old converter are heavy enough in gauge to handle an inverter input. You'll have to see what the manufacturer recommends. If they are heavy enough you could just connect them to the new unit.

I use my stock 1000 watt inverter to power my Direct TV setup. Powering the TV, Direct TV box, dish, and a small sound bar pulls around 10 amps or more of battery power. At least that is what my voltage/current display indicates. I suspect it actually is drawing more but haven't really investigated it. My 400 watts of solar seems to keep up with it during the day but at night I can watch my battery level get lower and lower after a few hours.

I have a small inverter/generator that I connect to my shore power line. After dark I will run the generator for awhile to keep the batteries fully charged. When I shut it down I then am pulling battery power for the inverter but am starting off fully charged for an extended run. I don't want the batteries to get too low in the middle of the night.

Anyway, a lot to consider. Good luck on your endeavor.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote