Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 09:28 AM   #1

Inverter install - converter on same circuit as outlets

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum, though I've lurked here a lot in the past and found tons of helpful posts, so thank you for all the information and support on this community!

I've been full-time for about 6 months now in a 26' 2013 jay flight TT and I've found that I'm doing a lot more boondocking than I thought I would. I now want to install an inverter and the two main methods I've been looking at are 1. just plugging the whole RV into the inverter, and 2. installing a dedicated outlet inside the RV for the inverter.

I would definitely prefer to do #1. Having all outlets available to use on inverter power would be really convenient and also I wouldn't have to open up my whole sealed underbelly to run wire. Only problem is the inverter/converter loop. The most common suggestion I've seen for this is to just flip the breaker to the converter when you want to use the inverter. This would be great, except I found out my converter outlets are on the same breaker. So flipping the breaker to turn off the converter kills all my outlets.

I've done a lot of research on this and I've seen some people suggesting installing a relay or an automatic transfer switch. Honestly, I think these might be a bit above my skill level. And if I understand it correctly, I think this would still require running wire through the whole underbelly (my batteries are on the tongue and my converter is in the back of the TT).

I'm wondering if I could just install a toggle switch on the converter so that I can cut the power to just the converter and not have to turn off the breaker. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Or does anyone have any better ideas for me?

Thanks in advance!
transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #2

I would separate the outlet from the Inverter.

You also have other 120v loads than the converter that you don't want to be running on your inverter. ( our your batteries will be depleted in a very short time)

Water Heater
Refrigerator (when on Auto, it will switch to 120v if present)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the response! Yeah, i'm definitely aware of that. When dry camping both my refrigerator and water heater are only ever on propane. I also expected I would just flip off the breaker for the air conditioner at the same time as disabling the converter just so that doesn't accidentally run. I could also flip breakers for the refrigerator and hot water just to be double sure those wouldn't kick on. I do realize this is a lot of manual work to do before running the inverter though and it could be accident-prone. However, being able to use any outlet would make the system much more useful to me than just having a single outlet.

If I can't find a good way to disable the converter, I may just end up taking your suggestion and running a separate outlet for the inverter. Curious if anyone else has any other suggestions though.
transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #4

IF you get a whole house inverter (I like my blue Sky) it will automatically charge your batteries when your on shore power.. then you can just take the converter out and store it or sell it or...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, electrical, inverter