Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Leaky Air Return and Supply

One of the four screws holding the AC grill to the ceiling fell out and I removed the grill so I could fix it. I noticed that hot air from the "attic" could be sucked into the room return air; look at the size of the holes Jayco broke into the luan for the thermostat wire and the 120v wire. Since those holes are into the "suction" side of the return air, air from the hot attic is pulled in along with the room return air:
Click image for larger version

Name:	holes.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	6719

I also noticed that one of the two supply duct openings was not sealed; this means that cold air is being blown into the "attic":

Name:	notsealedduct.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	6718

I need all the cold air I can have; I sealed the openings with adhesive backed aluminum tape, the kind used for sealing fiberglass ducts.

Name:	sealedholes.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	6720 Click image for larger version

Name:	sealedduct.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	6721

There were also open joints in the construction of the return side framing and supply side framing and I sealed up those joints as well with the aluminum tape. Those with inadequate cooling might want to look for these issues.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Seems a little shoddy craftsmanship by my standards.
As you prove, could have easily been done better initially without much additional effort.

JMHO,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #3

Agreed on the shoddy craftsmanship. One supply duct was sealed with some expanding foam and I suppose the other duct was supposed to be sealed in a similar manner. The holes for the wire entries and framing cracks could have been sealed up with the foam as well. But I guess assembly time deadlines have consequences. However, trailer air conditioning needs all the help it can get.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #4

I need to check mine when weather permits. The last new trailers that I have had has had this same problem. Need to look at all the ducts in the A/C and the heat also. Will report when I can get to it.