Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Valley Falls
Posts: 7
No Power when Boondocking

Hi Everyone,


I have a 2012 Greyhawk FS31. When on shore power or generator everything works. When disconnected, nothing. No lights, no nothing. Dead.



My inverter control panel says it's at 14.4 and the house battery checks out too. I can hear the fan on the inverter start up.



Underneath the house battery slide out I found two wires just hanging there. One red with a white stripe and one black with a white stripe. They don't look to be broken because the ends are clean cut.



I've checked the fuses inside but not under the hood yet. After that I'm at a loss as to what to do.
__________________

dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 8,528
Have you pushed the battery disconnect switch? The wires in question are probably the solar pre-wire. The inverter only operates the front TV.
__________________

__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Valley Falls
Posts: 7
Thanks Grumpy.


So what you're saying is that when boondocking I can only run my TV?


Is there another battery disconnect that I don't know about? Pushing that kills everything even when plugged in.
dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 175
tell us the make and model # of your inverter.
__________________
Retired Master Electrican and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Valley Falls
Posts: 7
Hi Cavie,
The inverter is a Xantrex Pro XM1000
dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampbell View Post
Hi Cavie,
The inverter is a Xantrex Pro XM1000
Here is all the info you need. There is a GFI outlet with resets on it.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...M1000-1800.pdf
__________________
Retired Master Electrican and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 8,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampbell View Post
Thanks Grumpy.


So what you're saying is that when boondocking I can only run my TV?


Is there another battery disconnect that I don't know about? Pushing that kills everything even when plugged in.
That's is the only outlet that it is connected to the inverter. No other outlets are powered except on shore or geny.

When you say no lights, your 12 volt lights should be working on battery, if not that sounds like a fuse someplace.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Valley Falls
Posts: 7
So close Cavie!!


As soon as I saw the image of the inverter I ran out and checked it. There is only one GFI in the motorhome and that's in the bathroom and it wasn't tripped. I tripped it anyway. No go. The front of the inverter is smooth. There is no GFI on the box itself.


Then I got thinking, How about the transfer switch. The inverter panel says I'm on utility power and when I disconnect it goes dark. Should it switch to the batteries?



I wish I understood how this is setup but I'm a Carpenter not an Electrician.
dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Port Charlotte FL/Hinsdale MA.
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampbell View Post
So close Cavie!!


As soon as I saw the image of the inverter I ran out and checked it. There is only one GFI in the motorhome and that's in the bathroom and it wasn't tripped. I tripped it anyway. No go. The front of the inverter is smooth. There is no GFI on the box itself.


Then I got thinking, How about the transfer switch. The inverter panel says I'm on utility power and when I disconnect it goes dark. Should it switch to the batteries?



I wish I understood how this is setup but I'm a Carpenter not an Electrician.
It should switch to the battery But it will only power what is hooked to it on the output side. If your's does not have a gfi then it must to be the pro model. I'm confused. See if you can find some small reset buttons maybe on the back side. Maybe a gfi on the back. Google what ever model # is printed on the inverter.
__________________
Retired Master Electrican and Building Inspector.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 8,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampbell View Post
So close Cavie!!
As soon as I saw the image of the inverter I ran out and checked it. There is only one GFI in the motorhome and that's in the bathroom and it wasn't tripped. I tripped it anyway. No go. The front of the inverter is smooth. There is no GFI on the box itself.
Guarantee you no other outlets are connected, only the TV.

Right from the brochure.

OPTIONS
22" LCD HDTV in bedroom
400-watt inverter
Aluminum rims
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 477
Not sure why everyone is focused on the inverter. It has nothing to do with the lights all being off. Apparently the display shows 14+ volts which means the converter is operating when on shore power and the inverter is receiving the voltage.

So, when on shore power the lights work. That means the converter is working since it is supplying the 12 volts necessary for the lights. When the shore power is disconnected, the 12 volt duty falls to the house battery.

The problem here is lack of 12 volts from the battery for whatever reason. Could be a blown inline fuse or a battery disconnect switch or a dead battery or a corroded connection or whatever.

Measure the voltage across the battery with and without shore power. With shore power the battery voltage should be 13-14.5 volts meaning it is getting a charge from the converter. Given the symptoms I would suspect the charge voltage will be absent.

If you have 12+ volts at the battery but no 12 volt items inside the rig works when not plugged in, you have an open circuit in the battery feed. Could be on the positive or ground side.
__________________
Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Valley Falls
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Not sure why everyone is focused on the inverter. It has nothing to do with the lights all being off. Apparently the display shows 14+ volts which means the converter is operating when on shore power and the inverter is receiving the voltage.

So, when on shore power the lights work. That means the converter is working since it is supplying the 12 volts necessary for the lights. When the shore power is disconnected, the 12 volt duty falls to the house battery.

The problem here is lack of 12 volts from the battery for whatever reason. Could be a blown inline fuse or a battery disconnect switch or a dead battery or a corroded connection or whatever.

Measure the voltage across the battery with and without shore power. With shore power the battery voltage should be 13-14.5 volts meaning it is getting a charge from the converter. Given the symptoms I would suspect the charge voltage will be absent.

If you have 12+ volts at the battery but no 12 volt items inside the rig works when not plugged in, you have an open circuit in the battery feed. Could be on the positive or ground side.



Hi Jim,


I measured the voltage at the battery with and with out shore power. I get 14 volts with shore power and 3 volts without. So I'm guessing my battery is bad.or it's not being charged by shore power.
dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampbell View Post
Hi Jim,


I measured the voltage at the battery with and with out shore power. I get 14 volts with shore power and 3 volts without. So I'm guessing my battery is bad.or it's not being charged by shore power.

If you're getting 14 volts on shore power and it drops to 3 when shore is unplugged, it looks like your converter is working but your battery is gone and won't hold a charge. Time for a new battery.
__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampbell View Post
Hi Jim,


I measured the voltage at the battery with and with out shore power. I get 14 volts with shore power and 3 volts without. So I'm guessing my battery is bad.or it's not being charged by shore power.
Yep, battery is toast. I'm surprised it didn't pull down the converter output when it tried to charge.
__________________
Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Valley Falls
Posts: 7
Thanks Everyone for all your help.


My wife has been furloughed and my pay cut by 15% so a new battery will have to wait, but I will update this thread when I do get a battery.
__________________

dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×