Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Propane keeps cutting out

I'm having a problem with my propane and wondering if anyone has any ideas of anything else I can try.

Situation: Started that my fridge would not light on propane. Figured it was just a problem with the igniter, because it would hold a flame if lit manually, but when I went to debug I found out that my stove would light and run for a minute or so until it would slowly die off and flame out. Sound of gas running would also disappear, This happens on all burners. Note that I only use the indoor stove to purge the lines for the fridge, we cook outdoors 100%.

Debug:
I have:
confirmed that tanks put out gas fine. I have taps on each tank for external stove and bbq. Both exterior appliances light and run fine.
Also removed the taps and connected tanks directly to the pigtails and the problem is still there.
Have tried all combos of tanks open (both, left, right) and auto changeover regulator position, problem happens every time, enough pressure to light after opening tanks, then it slowly dies out.
I open the tanks very slowly, so don't think it is the safety. Besides, with the taps on, the outside appliances run fine.

I suspect that is the regulator, but I just swapped out the regulator about 4 years ago (for a very similar issue). Before I go and shell out for another auto-changeover regulator, anyone have any suggestions for further troubleshooting steps to confirm that it is another bad regulator?
Camping this w/e, so will have some time to play around with it. We have electrical, so not too worried about fridge won't light.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

I would bet my money on the regulator......

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #3

Agree, regulator. My o.e. rwg lasted 3 yrs. Wouldn't be surprised if this one fails soon!
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:43 AM   #4

Not so sure about the regulator if the outside lines are working fine, assuming that the taps for outside are after the regulator. Sounds to me like a hose/feed problem such as a clogged or pinched line. Maybe check under the trailer where the propane line splits. You could try disconnecting the lines at the junction box and blow compressed air through them to see if there is an obstruction.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
Not so sure about the regulator if the outside lines are working fine, assuming that the taps for outside are after the regulator. Sounds to me like a hose/feed problem such as a clogged or pinched line. Maybe check under the trailer where the propane line splits. You could try disconnecting the lines at the junction box and blow compressed air through them to see if there is an obstruction.
I read it a little differently. He disconnected the tank and attached a different device that did not go through his onboard regulator.

OP, one thing that affects many of these RV propane systems is the Free Flow Valve. It is integrated into the pig tail coupler on the tank side. If you open the valve to fast, it can trip this safety feature and shut it down. I had one completely fail on a manifold tree last year. It would put out just a tiny amount of gas. If the grill was turned off, it would build up enough pressure with a little time so a grill would light correctly and run for a minute or so normally. Once the pressure was depleted in the hose, the gas grill would either burn and a low low flame or go out. This might be your issue. In my case I had my propane supplier install a new coupler to the hose and the issue was resolved.

Before replacing the regulator. Turn off your tanks, try lighting the stove to ensure the pressure is out of the line. Then really really slowly open your propane valve. If the issue is with the Free Flow Valve, it will not trip, and you will have gas again. On my TT, I might run into this issue once every few years.

So it might be your coupler(s) on your pig tails and not the regulator itself.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

just got the "recall" letter from Jayco regarding the pressure regulator, called the closest dealer's. One said late Jan. just to inspect the unit and then bring back for repair after Jayco send's parts. The other dealer said they cannot even get the parts so just park your RV and not use it. If I had known that this is the kind of service they provide I would have bought another brand. So disappointed
spluce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #7

Not to excuse they're poor customer service skills and lack of empathy to your situation but all manufacturers are in similar circumstances and are bound by the same compromised supply chain issues. I would get in writing their response then buy a regulator, install yourself and submit for reimbursement. Principally I understand your position but if you want to use it??
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote