Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 2,336
Question on solar charging

Does the solar controller output to the battery bank need to be isolated from the RV converter/ charger to prevent damage when on shore power?
__________________

__________________
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
Does the solar controller output to the battery bank need to be isolated from the RV converter/ charger to prevent damage when on shore power?
No, they work together with no problems. I rewired my TT's internal charge controller to its own AC breaker (I had 2 spare spaces for breakers) and I turned my TT's internal charger off, once I saw that the 250 watt panel was enough to charge the batteries without the need from the TT's unit. That was May of 2012. I have not turned on the TT's unit since then. Saves a few $$$ at home also, so I don't have to pay the Electric company.

Just make sure that you put fuses between the panel(s) and Solar charge controller and a fuse between the Solar charge controller and the batteries. I installed 30 amp ANL fuses. I also installed a disconnect switch between the panel and the solar charge controller. You can see my wiring diagram by clicking on the link below.

Don
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 91
How about the tow vehicle? If I'm driving down the road and the solar controller is charging away and is in its absorption phase (14.4-14.8v depending on settings) I am concerned about that voltage feeding back through the TV connector and its effects on the TV battery and electronics. Do those with solar systems disconnect the charge wire in the trailer connector? I'm thinking about installing solar this year and this is one of the questions I still have.

Wayne
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynem View Post
How about the tow vehicle? If I'm driving down the road and the solar controller is charging away and is in its absorption phase (14.4-14.8v depending on settings) I am concerned about that voltage feeding back through the TV connector and its effects on the TV battery and electronics. Do those with solar systems disconnect the charge wire in the trailer connector? I'm thinking about installing solar this year and this is one of the questions I still have.

Wayne
You add a 30Amp blocking diode between the TT and the TV. This keeps the TT's voltage from feeding back to the TV.
Don
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mustang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Clearwater, FL area
Posts: 3,671
The 14+ volts should not do anything to the TV as the TV's system also produces that voltage when charging the TV's battery. My F150 with the 200+ amp alternator has reached 14.8VDC, when the truck was not used for awhile and after starting it. If you are still concerned, add the 30 amp blocking diode between the TV and the TT. This will isolate the TV from TT's voltages (voltage will flow from TV to TT, but not back). You can find blocking diodes on line for about $5 - $10, but it has to be a 30 amp model. I have my Solar Charge Controller set so that I manually start the EQUALIZE cycle. This cycle can produce voltages up to 16VDC. I disconnect the TT from the batteries while EQUALIZING the batteries. I perform this process about once every 3 months or sooner if I have had 5 or more deep discharges.
Don
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
1500 Watt Ramsond PSI, 2 Trojan T145 Batteries (260Ah)
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
The 14+ volts should not do anything to the TV as the TV's system also produces that voltage when charging the TV's battery. My F150 with the 200+ amp alternator has reached 14.8VDC, when the truck was not used for awhile and after starting it. If you are still concerned, add the 30 amp blocking diode between the TV and the TT. This will isolate the TV from TT's voltages (voltage will flow from TV to TT, but not back). You can find blocking diodes on line for about $5 - $10, but it has to be a 30 amp model. I have my Solar Charge Controller set so that I manually start the EQUALIZE cycle. This cycle can produce voltages up to 16VDC. I disconnect the TT from the batteries while EQUALIZING the batteries. I perform this process about once every 3 months or sooner if I have had 5 or more deep discharges.
Don

Don - do you run at 16 volts because that's what the battery manufacturer says is the absorption target voltage?

Exide ( mine ) says 14.8 maximum


Or is " equalizing different " than absorption .
__________________
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Aurora CO
Posts: 2,336
Never mind, I see there is a difference... I need to see if the new controller I ordered, or the 5er converter has that option
__________________

__________________
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.