Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk

Old 07-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #11

We need a solution for travel. We went to Florida last year, Virginia and Maryland this year. We were planning to go to Maine / NH, Lake George and Myrtle Beach. So lots of time on the road without shore power. How many deep cycle batteries do we need? I wish we had gotten the elec/Gas that we wanted but this one was on order my the dealership and they said it would do the overnights without a problem. Has not been so!
I just checked my fridge power consumption and its 978 watts in normal mode and we only have a 1000 watt inverter that seems to kick into overload mode often. Poor planning on Jayco's part and not accurate info from our dealer...

Hankg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

I emailed Jayco to try and get more info in regards to their testing of the residential refrigerators, what size batteries they used, etc. I also asked for specs on the fridge itself that will be coming in our trailer as well as the size of the battery tray itself so I can try to plan ahead.

With their current build estimates, we are going to be in an uncomfortable situation if things like this go sideways before our planned departure for Florida. If I have to load on multiple batteries (more than 2) to try and keep the fridge cool during a Wal-Mart stopover, I may have to upgrade my WD hitch and possibly the receiver on my truck!

I'll post what I find out, but I am even more apprehensive about this now than I was before!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Our 2016 North Point came with a residential refrigerator and 4 12v batteries. On batteries alone, power was down 2/3 after 18 hours. 6v batteries would be an improvement. I finally bit the bullet and installed solar panels. On them i went for 6 days with no loss of battery power. Mind you this was only powering the fridge, nothing else. This was an expensive alternative, but worth it to me for peace of mind.

Jim
Old 07-19-2016, 04:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
A lot depends on what fridge was used. The SAMSUNG we have in the PINNACLE only draws 3.9 amps since it has the new style low draw compressor.
At this point, I am not sure what make/model fridge will be in our 330RSTS TT. I looked at the 360 on the Jayco website as well as found one dealer that has a 330RSTS listed with pictures. They both show a stainless, side by side with an ice/water dispenser in the door. There is also a badge in the upper right corner of the fridge door.

Given that limited info, as well as the general appearance, it looks like it is a Frigidaire.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankg60 View Post
We don't have a generator so running one to recharge the bateries or run the fridge isn't an option... Thanx
I do have a pair of Honda's. Not what I wanted to have to do but I may have to start carrying at least one of them with me at all times.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
for emergency situations, have you considered carrying a portable 12v fridge, or cooler?
One of the reasons she wanted the residential refrigerator was to get rid of our cooler that we used for drinks and a few other things during our longer stays. Really don't want to have to haul that beast around "just in case". but I agree it is an option as well.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
we had no issues keeping the fridge going while traveling all day. When we stop at a rest area for lunch inverter still shows battery voltage at 12.7 so truck is keeping things charged.

However FW did come with 2 batteries from dealer.
Whatever fridge we end up with, I better NOT have any issues with it running while connected to the TV or that will be a show stopper right there. That was one of the main selling points, and my biggest point of contention about getting the residential refrigerator over the 12 cu ft gas/electric, was would it at least stay running while going down the road and I was assured that it would. And in the event of an emergency, I could at the very least, keep the truck running instead of having to haul out one of my Honda's.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
Our 2016 North Point came with a residential refrigerator and 4 12v batteries. On batteries alone, power was down 2/3 after 18 hours. 6v batteries would be an improvement. I finally bit the bullet and installed solar panels. On them i went for 6 days with no loss of battery power. Mind you this was only powering the fridge, nothing else. This was an expensive alternative, but worth it to me for peace of mind.

Jim
I don't think our 2017 Eagle 330RSTS TT would be able to accommodate 4 batteries, at least without some modifications to the battery tray and whether that even could be done is questionable. Until I can actually see on in person to determine how much space there actually is, or at least get some specs from Jayco, it is impossible to say.

As for solar, that is on my wish list but I don't see that happening this year unless it becomes our only alternative to keep things running and that would do nothing to help us with overnighters at wal-mart or a truck stop. In those instances, I can envision spending a long cold night keeping the truck or the generator in the back of the truck running while she snoozes away!

So if I can get a 2 battery setup that will keep it running for say 6-8 hours, then I could work with that. I also prefer not to go 6v in a two battery setup in the event one failed.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
....... I also prefer not to go 6v in a two battery setup in the event one failed.
Is that really the case?

If a 12V battery failed, wouldn't it suck the second 12V battery dry trying to equalize the two, resulting in the same problem?
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Is that really the case?

If a 12V battery failed, wouldn't it suck the second 12V battery dry trying to equalize the two, resulting in the same problem?
I have considered that as well but whether that would be the case or not, I cannot say. Maybe someone else that knows more about this than I can speak to that.

But on the other hand, if one 12v failed, even if it drained the other initially, the remaining good one could still be recharged and I would have something until I could get a replacement. If I went with 2 - 6v batteries and one failed, I would have nothing until I was able to get a replacement.

I am not completely against going 6v, but if I can get an acceptable runtime from 2 - 12v batteries, that would be my preference.